PDA

View Full Version : A circle closed that never closes.

Just Bill
07-14-2014, 15:24
A while back a generous person sent some things for my son to use on our hikes- and a circle was opened.
I offered to pay, but that's not the way it works. All offers were refused.

Not long ago a fella reached out and did the same for another- and opened his own circle.
I saw an interruption in that flow, and reached out and sent along something to him- and his circle was closed.

He tried to send something back to me.
As that's not the way it works, I refused all offer of payment or gift in return- and a circle was opened.

A few days back a fella I greatly admire reached out to me and made a generous offer.
I tried to circumvent that offer and pay my way, but as that's not the way it works; I too was cleverly thwarted.

Today a free pack is coming my way-and another circle is closed.
Today another generous person reached out and sent something along- and a circle is open.

I'm thankful whenever I am on the trail.
I'm more thankful to be reminded that I have never left it.

A story, if you'd like it, I'm inspired to share. A link for those in lurkerville, and an attachment for those that ain't.
If not- I wish you only happy trails. Mine certainly are. :)
(https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F083C978DECAA09C!4001&authkey=!AHJHC_JYR_5_JUU&ithint=file%2c.docx)https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F083C978DECAA09C!4001&authkey=!AHJHC_JYR_5_JUU&ithint=file%2c.docx

Cookerhiker
07-14-2014, 15:59
Often, when people offer things like gear or rides to total strangers, the givers state that it's their way of "giving back" for the benefits/"magic" that they received. There's a joy and truth in the axiom "giving is receiving."

AfghanVet
07-14-2014, 16:50
I'm deep in this cycle of owing folks. It's part of the attraction of hiking to me I guess, not that I expect any generosity from anyone. When I was out hiking Sunday before last and two miles in my Goodwill boots fell apart and I still did the 16-miles and I was agonizing by the end, I was at a point where I was thinking "Why the hell would anyone want to do this?" I honestly was thinking I was done, no more hiking. But then as the pain subsided and healed and this past Sunday came around and I thought of the people who offered me help, it would be a disservice to them, if not to myself to not go out anymore. So, I went out, I did another hike, about 10 miles and I kept the soles on my shoes this time.

I don't know how I can even repay everyone but somehow, some way, I will make it right.

Just Bill
07-14-2014, 18:18
I'm deep in this cycle of owing folks. It's part of the attraction of hiking to me I guess, not that I expect any generosity from anyone. When I was out hiking Sunday before last and two miles in my Goodwill boots fell apart and I still did the 16-miles and I was agonizing by the end, I was at a point where I was thinking "Why the hell would anyone want to do this?" I honestly was thinking I was done, no more hiking. But then as the pain subsided and healed and this past Sunday came around and I thought of the people who offered me help, it would be a disservice to them, if not to myself to not go out anymore. So, I went out, I did another hike, about 10 miles and I kept the soles on my shoes this time.

I don't know how I can even repay everyone but somehow, some way, I will make it right.

You definitely need to get more hiking in, helps to clear the mind. Seems you are suffering from a bit of a confussion on the matter.

From what I understand; you left this country in service to it and came home with injuries that you will carry for the rest of your life.

From what I know; most of us were hiking, living our lives, and enjoying this country.

From where I sit; seems your portion of the bill is paid in full.

From what I can see; If what I understand is correct, the only one you owe anything to is yourself. Enjoy your walk.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-14-2014, 18:19
A story, if you'd like it, I'm inspired to share. A link for those in lurkerville, and an attachment for those that ain't.
If not- I wish you only happy trails. Mine certainly are. :)
(https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F083C978DECAA09C!4001&authkey=!AHJHC_JYR_5_JUU&ithint=file%2c.docx)https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F083C978DECAA09C!4001&authkey=!AHJHC_JYR_5_JUU&ithint=file%2c.docx

You don't disappoint, JB....thanks.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-14-2014, 18:26

A thousand times a thousand trail magic bags could never make up for the multitude of kindnesses Snacktime and I have received from family, friends, and complete strangers that became friends in short order.

The best you can hope for is that through your efforts someone, somewhere, might be able to say "they were there when I needed them". Does it make me feel like an "angel"? Certainly not. But sometimes, just sometimes when the smile received is genuine and the effort was not just appreciated by necessary, THEN I feel like we've done the right thing.

And it's a pretty wonderful feeling.

rocketsocks
07-14-2014, 18:29
There's a line in one of my all time favorite songs "Forever young"~Bob Dylan

"always do for others, and let others do for you"

Allowing someone to give is perhaps the greatest gift, and while some may say to "Give to Get" is by it's very nature a selfish act, I'm ok with that. While my motives may be selfish, it makes me feel good to give, and yes, keeps the circle open and the big rock we share tunin'

I can't recall the term, but a while back I came across a wiki link, basically it talked about "IS giving a selfish or selfless act" it refereed to a story from the bible maybe about someone giving and for it to be truly selfless was a divine thing. Maybe some one can chime in...wish I could remember it....started with an "A"

dangerdave
07-14-2014, 19:46
I am by no means a spiritual person, but I cannot discount such things completely. I have seen it with my own eyes, and my life bears witness. I have always been a very generous person. It was how my momma raised me. To give, never expecting a return. "Never do a favor, expecting a favor," she would say. Some have a name for it: karma.

Over and over, throughout my life, with friends or strangers, at home or abroad, in want or need, be it town or middle of nowhere, good things have come to me as if my force of nature. It has happened far too many times to be coincidental, and yet my reason cannot explain it.

rocketsocks
07-14-2014, 19:54
There's a line in one of my all time favorite songs "Forever young"~Bob Dylan

"always do for others, and let others do for you"

Allowing someone to give is perhaps the greatest gift, and while some may say to "Give to Get" is by it's very nature a selfish act, I'm ok with that. While my motives may be selfish, it makes me feel good to give, and yes, keeps the circle open and the big rock we share tunin'

I can't recall the term, but a while back I came across a wiki link, basically it talked about "IS giving a selfish or selfless act" it refereed to a story from the bible maybe about someone giving and for it to be truly selfless was a divine thing. Maybe some one can chime in...wish I could remember it....started with an "A"
ah, a browser history search saves my day...

true Altruism and Alms;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism

...and yet another thing I just can't find right now, but left an impression on me was something my wife sent me a couple years ago. It basically said that letting a person know just how special they are through a letter/card/text is one the best things you can give someone...and I agree.

"Just Bill"- good thread, and thank you a Thousand times :)

another favorite song of mine "One of these days"~Neil Young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhbA9wYVs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhbA9wYVs0

Teacher & Snacktime
07-14-2014, 20:34
It basically said that letting a person know just how special they are through a letter/card/text is one the best things you can give someone...and I agree.

Funny story.....One day about 5 years ago, I was "feeling the love" and decided to call my kids and tell them I loved them. They each received a call, in the middle of the day and out of the blue. To each I said simply: "Hi __________________, I just wanted to call and tell you I love you."

Each time, complete silence followed for a few seconds, then ALL FOUR OF THEM REPLIED: "Are you dying?"

Brats.

rocketsocks
07-14-2014, 20:46
Funny story.....One day about 5 years ago, I was "feeling the love" and decided to call my kids and tell them I loved them. They each received a call, in the middle of the day and out of the blue. To each I said simply: "Hi __________________, I just wanted to call and tell you I love you."

Each time, complete silence followed for a few seconds, then ALL FOUR OF THEM REPLIED: "Are you dying?"

Brats.Ain't that the way!...kids say the darnedest things, hehe

Ya Know...someone sent me something today for a loved one...a truly divine selfless act...a thousand thank yous.;):)

rocketsocks
07-14-2014, 20:50
I am by no means a spiritual person, but I cannot discount such things completely. I have seen it with my own eyes, and my life bears witness. I have always been a very generous person. It was how my momma raised me. To give, never expecting a return. "Never do a favor, expecting a favor," she would say. Some have a name for it: karma.

Over and over, throughout my life, with friends or strangers, at home or abroad, in want or need, be it town or middle of nowhere, good things have come to me as if my force of nature. It has happened far too many times to be coincidental, and yet my reason cannot explain it.in that article they say there was a study done, and that giving could be hereditary...they just might be right. and I agree, my whole life has been filled with folks giving me a helping hand...good stuffs! :)

rocketsocks
07-14-2014, 20:53
I think you just did :)

From what I can see; If what I understand is correct, the only one you owe anything to is yourself. Enjoy your walk.
couldn't have said it better, and thanks for your service Afgan Vet.

Another Kevin
07-14-2014, 21:30
I'm thankful whenever I am on the trail.
I'm more thankful to be reminded that I have never left it.

The same magic is everywhere. But the trail does tend to open your eyes to see it.

My favorite trail magic - I think I've shared this story here before, but I'm not sure -

It's late summer of 1974, and a know-nothing eighteen-year-old kid is doing a section hike from Hanover to Kinsman Notch. On the trail up Smarts Mountain, the New Hampshire weather does its usual thing and the heavens open. The know-nothing kid slips on the wet granite, and goes careening fifty yards downslope, sitting on a boot. Companions catch up to the kid, and find him writhing in pain from torn ligaments in his knee. Someone produces some codeine, and before too much more time elapses, the kid's stuff is divided among other people's packs and he's hobbling back toward Lyme, with each arm around the shoulder of a burly guy.

Everyone is flagging with the effort of supporting the kid. Other hikers see their plight, and share in taking extra load or take a turn under the kid's arm. Most are day-trippers heading for the fire tower, but one guy is a thru-hiker from New Jersey. He is more solicitous than most of the passers-by, and doesn't actually shake hands and bid farewell until the kid is safely in the ER at Hitchcock Hospital.

The kid's knee will never be the same, but he's still hiking. He's never got beyond being a clueless weekender, though. I know, because I used to be him.

I was ignorant enough, back then, that I didn't realize that, as late in the season as it was, the thru-hiker was needing to make tracks. By turning around and killing the better part of a day to help me, he may well have been sacrificing his own chance at Katahdin.

I never learnt his name, but it surely is writ large in the Book of Life.

rocketsocks
07-14-2014, 21:39
The same magic is everywhere. But the trail does tend to open your eyes to see it.

My favorite trail magic - I think I've shared this story here before, but I'm not sure -

It's late summer of 1974, and a know-nothing eighteen-year-old kid is doing a section hike from Hanover to Kinsman Notch. On the trail up Smarts Mountain, the New Hampshire weather does its usual thing and the heavens open. The know-nothing kid slips on the wet granite, and goes careening fifty yards downslope, sitting on a boot. Companions catch up to the kid, and find him writhing in pain from torn ligaments in his knee. Someone produces some codeine, and before too much more time elapses, the kid's stuff is divided among other people's packs and he's hobbling back toward Lyme, with each arm around the shoulder of a burly guy.

Everyone is flagging with the effort of supporting the kid. Other hikers see their plight, and share in taking extra load or take a turn under the kid's arm. Most are day-trippers heading for the fire tower, but one guy is a thru-hiker from New Jersey. He is more solicitous than most of the passers-by, and doesn't actually shake hands and bid farewell until the kid is safely in the ER at Hitchcock Hospital.

The kid's knee will never be the same, but he's still hiking. He's never got beyond being a clueless weekender, though. I know, because I used to be him.

I was ignorant enough, back then, that I didn't realize that, as late in the season as it was, the thru-hiker was needing to make tracks. By turning around and killing the better part of a day to help me, he may well have been sacrificing his own chance at Katahdin.

I seem to remember not long ago a certain clueless weekender along with a few other hikers coming together to help another hiker, funny how that works...good stuff. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-14-2014, 21:45
I seem to remember not long ago a certain clueless weekender along with a few other hikers coming together to help another hiker, funny how that works...good stuff. :)

Yeah, I seem to remember that too! :D You're paying it forward all the time, AK

Another Kevin
07-14-2014, 22:20
Yeah, I seem to remember that too! :D You're paying it forward all the time, AK

I seem to recall that the Preacher [1] said something about, if you throw bread on the water, you better keep throwing, because it keeps on coming back!

[1] Ecclesiastes 11:1

AfghanVet
07-14-2014, 22:45
Maybe you are right Bill. But I never served so that people would do anything for me. I did it because it was the right thing for me to do in my mind. I wasn't rich and I didn't have the greatest life but I still received opportunities people in other places would kill for all because I was born here. So, I felt it was a debt I owed and I could at least partially repay. Nonetheless, everything certainly is greatly appreciated and it allows me the opportunity to find some peace and to be active which I thought would never be possible again.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-14-2014, 23:08
I seem to recall that the Preacher [1] said something about, if you throw bread on the water, you better keep throwing, because it keeps on coming back!

[1] Ecclesiastes 11:1

Or to irreverently paraphrase:

"Cast your bread upon the water; it will return one hundred-fold."
I listened to the wise man's words and did as I was told.
I cast my bread upon the water, exactly as the wise man said
and there were then returned to me..........one hundred loaves of soggy bread.

shelb
07-14-2014, 23:43
Favorite Movie: Pay it Forward

Most interesting response during job interview (to be in charge of philanthopic organizations): "I don't give and help people because I am some special nice guy. I give and help people because I am selfish. I LOVE the warm fuzzies I get when good things happen to others. Wouldn't it be a great world if everyone could thrive on that feeling?" (said by my oldest at age 19)

McPick
07-15-2014, 00:45
Often, when people offer things like gear or rides to total strangers, the givers state that it's their way of "giving back" for the benefits/"magic" that they received. There's a joy and truth in the axiom "giving is receiving."

Yes, Cookie. Or participating...

Exceptional, Bill, et al. Exceptional.

rocketsocks
07-15-2014, 00:49
Just finished reading the story, what a great read JB...Kudos!

rickb
07-15-2014, 06:05

i missed seeing that. It is a fabulous story and your telling of it captures something extra special about it all. Please keep sharing it -- perhaps with submission to ATN to reach a different audience? How cool it would be if the individual offering his support and kindness were to learn of the profound impact of his good deeds. How cool that you shared it again! One of the best posts ever.

Damn Yankee
07-15-2014, 08:07
You definitely need to get more hiking in, helps to clear the mind. Seems you are suffering from a bit of a confussion on the matter.

From what I understand; you left this country in service to it and came home with injuries that you will carry for the rest of your life.

From what I know; most of us were hiking, living our lives, and enjoying this country.

As a Iraq vet myself and suffering from pretty much the same as you, I need to get out in the woods. It's a way of clearing my head from all the obtrusive stuff that clouds it when not on the trail. Get out hike, except help when needed. I have taken to help shuttle or take in an occasional hiker or two. This is how I pay it forward, not pay back.

Another Kevin
07-15-2014, 09:38
Maybe you are right Bill. But I never served so that people would do anything for me. I did it because it was the right thing for me to do in my mind. I wasn't rich and I didn't have the greatest life but I still received opportunities people in other places would kill for all because I was born here. So, I felt it was a debt I owed and I could at least partially repay. Nonetheless, everything certainly is greatly appreciated and it allows me the opportunity to find some peace and to be active which I thought would never be possible again.

The word in the Old Testament that we translate as 'charity' or 'almsgiving' is 'tsedaqah' (צדקה‎) - which means something closer to 'righteousness.' The scribes surely captured the sense that we do it, not in the expectation of a return, but because it is right.

The great rabbi Maimonides wrote (Hilkhot matanot aniyim, chapter 10) that the highest form of charity is that which results in the recipient no longer needing to rely on others, because the gift is multiplied. The recipient becomes a giver and all that he does redounds to the credit of the one who lifted him up. I think the military might call that a 'force multiplier.' But one thing it means is, don't try too hard to balance the ledger and just keep doing what you think is right. There's lots of stuff on the credit side that you don't even know about.

rocketsocks
07-15-2014, 10:09
The word in the Old Testament that we translate as 'charity' or 'almsgiving' is 'tsedaqah' (צדקה‎) - which means something closer to 'righteousness.' The scribes surely captured the sense that we do it, not in the expectation of a return, but because it is right.

The great rabbi Maimonides wrote (Hilkhot matanot aniyim, chapter 10) that the highest form of charity is that which results in the recipient no longer needing to rely on others, because the gift is multiplied. The recipient becomes a giver and all that he does redounds to the credit of the one who lifted him up. I think the military might call that a 'force multiplier.' But one thing it means is, don't try too hard to balance the ledger and just keep doing what you think is right. There's lots of stuff on the credit side that you don't even know about.
AK, your like King Midas :D it all turns to gold...well said. :)

I know I know, your not really a king at all. :)

dangerdave
07-15-2014, 19:30
You guys/gals are great! I love the stories. Here's another, and I tell it often to those who will listen...

Some years ago, when my wife and I first met, we were returning home from a pleasure trip to DC. Along the way, we decided to cruise along Skyline Drive in Virginia. On our second day along the Drive, we stopped and did a hike down into Dark Hollow---a troublesome bit of trail with a disappointing little waterfall at the end. It was a lot of fun hiking down, but a real sweater on the way back out, particularly for my wonderful wife. Hot, and out of water, we drive to the nearest park area searching for relief. We find a water fountain with a spigot and start splashing our faces and gulping down water.

Hearing music floating on the air, I scope the area through my long wet hair hanging down my face (I miss my long hair). There is a group of people occupying the park---a short distance away---having a picnic feast and playing some peppy music. The women all wear full length skirts and long gorgeous, uncut hair. You guessed it: Mennonites! It is obvious that they have finished eating, as several women bustle around long tables heavy with home cooked leftovers. They are covering and packaging the food while the rest clapped and sang and danced to the music played by a quartet of impressive instrumentalists. They were a lively bunch.

We sat on a bench near the fountain, sopping our red faces with salty bandannas, water spilling down our tie-dyed tee shirts, soaking our sandaled feet. We must have looked a sight! My wife leans over against my shoulder and whispers (even though the Mennonites were too far ways to hear, anyway), "I'm tired...and hungry." "Me, too, honey," I reply. "We'll grab something down the road."

We rise and start towards our vehicle---hoping there's a snack bar not far away---when I hear a loud and cheery, "Hey, y'all!" At first it didn't register over the music. I glanced back to see a matronly-looking lady at the nearest table waving briskly at us. "Are ya hungry?"

We were, indeed!

These wonderful ladies quickly uncovered all of their work, and invited us to help ourselves. Vast platters still full of fried chicken, bean salad, home made breads, veggies, and deserts. Oh, the pies! We heaped our plates and found a bench nearby, tapping our toes to the accompaniment and feeding our faces...and were invited to have seconds. Shoot, my first plate had seconds already on it!

Stuffed completely, we disposed of our plates, and joyfully thanked the woman. They beamed at us like they'd just fed Jesus himself. "May your God bless you!" I said as we walked away. "He already has!" was their response. The entire scene went down as if it had been choreographed in advance, and we both felt as if we had been part of something special.

We were, indeed.

It wasn't until very recently that I learned what this was called: "Trail Magic". A few days later, I was prompted to pass the love along to another, closing the circle. But that's another story. This trip would turn out to be one of the best of our lives, thanks to a sweet dose of Trail Magic.

Just Bill
07-18-2014, 13:05
Thank you to all for the thoughtful responses...

Over and over, throughout my life, with friends or strangers, at home or abroad, in want or need, be it town or middle of nowhere, good things have come to me as if my force of nature. It has happened far too many times to be coincidental, and yet my reason cannot explain it.

One of my favorite things about Native American philosophy is that it very much encourages logic and reason, and does not require you to accept that there is a GOD. Wakan Tanka translates to Great Mystery (among others)- and most will admit freely that they cannot tell you with certainty that there is a fella (or lass) who owns the place. Quite practically speaking- short of this person stopping by and shaking your hand- what human can say? So just take the Great Unanswerable Question, call it the Great Mystery- and move on.

What nearly all tribes believe in however, is a concept called, "The Spirit that Moves Through All Things". While all beings and forces have their own Medicine (Power, spirit, divine spark, energy, whatever...), what connects this medicine and allows it to flow from one to another is this concept. As others mention, I think this concept is well reflected in many philosophical, spiritual, and religious beliefs.

In addition, science may even be seen as "defining" this concept as greater and greater mysteries are explored. Quantum entanglement, which even the deepest atheism of science is forced to unscientifically call "Spooky action at a distance," is one example of this interconnection. Horror vacui, or "nature abhors a vacuum", String Theory, and even "the God Particle" seem to me all logical and rational attempts (and even perhaps successes) to explain the interconnection of the universe.

Compare Carl Sagan's "We are stardust" quote, Religion's "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust", science's big bang theory, and hundreds of others and it seems quite logical and reasonable that the NA concept Mitakuye Oyasin, "We are all related, we are all one" is nearly a universally accepted truth. One that does not require, include, or preclude divinity. Not to hard to see a rock tumbling down a hill and accept it, without knowing how, what, where, when or why it got started.

And logically, philosophically, spiritually, and even scientifically; whether some hand or intelligent force set it all in motion and/or hung around to direct it or not- The Spirit that Moves Through All Things seems a very tangible concept to most of us. A concept those who practice the various forms of travel with the Earth term simply as, "Trail Magic".

Consider our good friends Teacher and Snacktime. Teach gathers her materials, tools, and supplies to create her goodie bags. She sits down and invests her knowledge, effort, and energy into the creation of the physical bag itself, literally placing a portion of her energy into each bag. Even science will agree that on some level, the electrons of her atoms intermingle and exchange with the electrons of the materials used. Next, her and her grandson select items of value to them, and to those who will receive them to fill the bags. Finally, they devote time and energy to distribute these gifts to those who travel the trail. Intent, focus, goodwill, and commitment.

In Native American philosophy it is unimportant how a ceremony is performed. In fact, the ceremonies performed by a Heyoka (sacred clown or trickster) are some of the most powerful, even though the whole point of the ceremony is that it be performed as incorrectly as possible. No two people perform a ceremony the same way, nor is it required. In fact, each person is expected to invest their individuality into the effort, not to copy another's.

What is important is the four ideals above. The intent with which you perform the ceremony. The focus you devote to the task. The goodwill (medicine) you contribute to the task. And your commitment to see it through. What Teacher and Snacktime do, is very similar to the creation of a Tobacco Tie. Wherein a person puts a small offering of something sacred (and what is more sacred to a hiker than food!) in to a bit of cloth, pinching and tying off each one with focus and intent. When something is said to be a sacred object, or an object of power- that's all there is to it.

Then Teach and Snacktime head to the trail and become the "Pebble in the Pond". With intent, focus, and goodwill they have prepared their offering; finally they commit by realizing it; tossing their pebbles into the pond. Each small pebble ripples, touches many things. Their many pebbles multiply, rebound, bounce off the shore and redouble. Eventually their splashes of good medicine return, for nature abhors a vacuum, and whether in a small ripple or great wave; the energy is returned to them in some form, and touches many along the way.

Millions of people set foot upon the AT each year. From Benton and Myron on down to the thousands of volunteers, people have committed their energy, and poured their goodwill into it. Thousands of folks like our good friends toss their little pebbles, thousands hike the trail, in turn themselves becoming pebbles in this great pond. From the smallest of donations, to the greatest of sacrifices millions of people contribute to the trail each year. A ceremony that has gone on for decades now.

When you visit the trail you enter this vast flowing river of medicine, which flows over the earth, which sits someplace in the vast universe around us. Though this energy exists in all places, the trail itself is a very tangible branch of the Spirit That Moves Through All Things. A place where the Intent, Focus, Goodwill and Commitment exists in harmony with the land around it. A sacred object, a place of power.

Call it whatever you like, dismiss it if your mind and heart are so vacant as to allow it. It's effect may fade from time to time, and Native American philosophy allows for good medicine as well as bad. Though each individual instance may be minor, or even insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Each co-incidence easily dismissed when taken one at a time. Much like a human life has little meaning overall, to the individual; that life is the most important thing in the universe.

No matter how tiny the individual spark, the fire can't exist without each and every one. Perhaps my logic is faulty and clouded by spirituality. My reason flawed and obscured by individual perception of events. Nonetheless, I find more and more the coincidences impossible to ignore.

Logic and reason easily fall apart when discussing the great mystery or attempting to assign credit. But regarding trail magic, the great feelings in my heart on the subject, when they occur, do not break down. In fact I find that logic and reasoning only support and defend what my heart accepts with no debate. That on this subject at least, the heart, the mind, and the spirit exist in harmony.

Though it is up to each individual to make this choice for themselves; It is said, that when all these disparate forms agree not just in one man, but also when applied to the Earth itself, that the truth on the subject has likely been reached.

My apologies for the long post, sometimes they just show up and I toss em in the pond, excuse my little splash. Carrying around a bunch of rocks in your pack is no way to hike.

dangerdave
07-18-2014, 13:49
Um, well said there, Bill.

The trail as a river is a great analogy. I spent many years in my youth as an avid whitewater kayaker. This was the time I earned my "trail name", Danger. Paddling a challenging river like the Gauley in WV required a certain mindset to succeed. Inexperienced paddlers would tackle a river like that with an intent to "kick it's ass" or just think they can muscle their way through. These people would often end up exhausted, having their own asses kicked for their trouble. Once you realized that you had to become (for lack of a better phrase) "one with the river", the true pleasure of such activity came to light. The sheer elation of being joined to such a greater power was both intoxicating and addicting. You don't fight the current, you merge with it, using every ebb and flow and eddy to carry you forward, like a harmonious dance.

I see my walk on the AT as just that. I will cast myself adrift on the trail and allow it to carry me ever northward, rather than setting out to conquer it by force of will. :)

Just Bill
07-18-2014, 13:57
"The only thing I had control over was myself and my attitude. When I finally realized that, that was the moment the trail started to get easy." Jennifer Pharr Davis

Teacher & Snacktime
07-18-2014, 14:25
Well, I must say I'm a bit humbled. Snacktime and I do our best to brighten a hiker's day if possible, without thought to the big picture really. It is a beautiful thing you've written here about us, and I thank you. I'm proud you were able to use our efforts to create such a beautiful metaphor. Rest assured that Snacktime will be reading this, along with your "Mitakuye Oyasin" blog. (Perhaps it's time to reintroduce this).

Now we have to get off our butts and distribute the last of our 2014 bags!

Riocielo
07-18-2014, 16:12
AfghanVet,
You "made it right" when you willingly left the comforts of home to serve and sacrifice for your country. You owe no one anything, WE owe YOU!

rocketsocks
07-18-2014, 17:06
Well said Bill, I've always looked at Teacher and Snacktimes goody bags as medicine bags, it just seemed to make sense to me looking at it in that light.

I too like the trail as a river of medicine analogy.

AfghanVet
07-18-2014, 17:09
I don't know why I personally dislike that mentality, though it's definitely appreciated. If I had been drafted maybe I'd feel differently about it but, judging by the Vietnam and WWII veterans I know, I doubt it. I knew the risks when I signed up, even though it was prior to 9/11 and the spinup into combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nonetheless, I appreciate all of the generosity of everyone who has helped me so far like Old Hiker and TOW. They've put me in a position to go at hiking like I don't think I ever could have made it to on my own. Some of it may have seemed almost trivial to them to send my way but they'll never know how much it meant to me.

AfghanVet
07-18-2014, 17:10
I left out Just Bill, who has offered his help foolishly, can't exclude him, especially in his own thread :D

Traffic Jam
07-18-2014, 19:31
Well, I must say I'm a bit humbled. Snacktime and I do our best to brighten a hiker's day if possible, without thought to the big picture really. It is a beautiful thing you've written here about us, and I thank you. I'm proud you were able to use our efforts to create such a beautiful metaphor. Rest assured that Snacktime will be reading this, along with your "Mitakuye Oyasin" blog. (Perhaps it's time to reintroduce this).

Now we have to get off our butts and distribute the last of our 2014 bags!

Teacher, I didn't see this thread before sending you a pm a few minutes ago. I wanted to thank Snacktime again for the AT bag. I hiked 11 miles to Mt. Sterling yesterday and forgot to restock my Ibuprofen. An old injury was flaring up and I was in quite a bit of pain. While waiting on my dinner to cook, I opened Snacktime's gift and found Ibuprofen. I was so happy and thankful. Thanks again Snacktime!!!!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-18-2014, 20:55
Like I said in the PM...I'm glad it gave you what you needed, when you needed it. That's how it's SUPPOSED to work! :)