PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag for Early April Start

soumodeler
07-14-2014, 21:47
I am 75% committed to an early April start and the last gear item I need is a cold weather sleeping bag. I get very cold so I am unsure of what temp bag to get. I have a Kelty Cosmic Down 20* bag that I do not like. I was freezing in 30* weather with a Thermarest Neo Air XLite in March so I am thinking I either need to go lower temp rating or add a liner to a 20* bag.

Looking at the Marmot Plasma 15, REI Igneo, and Sierra Designs Zissou 12 among others. The Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Liner looks like a good additional 15*.

I am trying to go as light as I can without sacrificing comfort/warmth.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Martymart
07-14-2014, 22:33
If you are freezing in a 20 deg bag in 30 degree weather I would say you need to get a colder weather bag. A liner is only going to help so much and the added warmth claims seem to be a bit optimistic. I wouldn't want to be dependent on one for staying warm. If you sleep that cold maybe a 0-10 deg bag would be best for you

TEXMAN
07-17-2014, 10:32
I started my hike on FEB 15th and froze the first few days using a cheap 20 degree bag...then at Mountain Crossings I bought a Western Mountaineering 25degree Bag and I was never cold again .... yes it is expensive ... but your going to spend a lot of time in that bag ....

Venchka
07-17-2014, 10:50
I started my hike on FEB 15th and froze the first few days using a cheap 20 degree bag...then at Mountain Crossings I bought a Western Mountaineering 25degree Bag and I was never cold again .... yes it is expensive ... but your going to spend a lot of time in that bag ....

The Gospel Truth.
I am currently shopping for a bag for similar conditions to comlement my 0 degree Western Mountaineering Antelope Super Dryloft bag. Perhaps, if you do sleep cold, a 20 degree Western Mountaineering bag might be right for you. When you "froze at 30 degrees" in your Kelty bag, what clothes were you wearing? A layer of merino wool or fleece from head to toe might allow you to be comfortable at lower temperatures in an accurately rated bag like those from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.
I remember reading a review of the Plasma 15 recently. The reviewer said that it did not live up to its' 15 degree rating.
Good luck. Stay warm.

Wayne

garlic08
07-17-2014, 10:50
Marmot Helium or similar.

Malto
07-17-2014, 11:04
Another option is to upgrade your pad to an xtherm for the start. A good pad, and the xtherm is one, will go a long way to keeping you warm at night. Air temperature is one thing, ground temperature has to be dealt with differently. A 30 degree temperature in the fall will feel water sleeping than 30 degrees in the spring due to the colder ground.

Wülfgang
07-17-2014, 13:48
I have the REI Igneo and have been quite warm down into the 20's. I have not slept in colder temps yet. I sleep on an inflatable pad with a 3.5 R rating.

Kinda depends on if you are ground camping or hammock camping. I would absolutely buy a high quality insulated air pad for ground camping, but there are some who can do it with CC foam. More of a comfort issue.

Also liners offer little extra warmth. The advertising claims are bull, I can tell you from experience. Waste of money and needless extra weight. Your sleeping bag is one of those things you should NOT skimp on---as mentioned above you will be sleeping in it for 3-6 months.

Venchka
07-17-2014, 14:37
A quality down bag will last far longer than 1 thru-hike. In fact, a bag from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends is the least expensive bag you can buy.

Wayne

soumodeler
07-20-2014, 08:09
The Gospel Truth.
I am currently shopping for a bag for similar conditions to comlement my 0 degree Western Mountaineering Antelope Super Dryloft bag. Perhaps, if you do sleep cold, a 20 degree Western Mountaineering bag might be right for you. When you "froze at 30 degrees" in your Kelty bag, what clothes were you wearing? A layer of merino wool or fleece from head to toe might allow you to be comfortable at lower temperatures in an accurately rated bag like those from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.
I remember reading a review of the Plasma 15 recently. The reviewer said that it did not live up to its' 15 degree rating.
Good luck. Stay warm.

Wayne

I had thermals, a long sleeve poly shirt, and a down jacket on the night I froze in that bag.

Someone mentioned that I could have been compressing the down because I was wearing too many layers but I don't remember being that tight of a fit in the bag.

Right now I am looking between the REI Igneo and a WM bag. The Igneo I can get for $240 now on sale vs $550 for a WM.

Luckily I still have plenty of time to choose.

soumodeler
07-20-2014, 08:10
Another option is to upgrade your pad to an xtherm for the start. A good pad, and the xtherm is one, will go a long way to keeping you warm at night. Air temperature is one thing, ground temperature has to be dealt with differently. A 30 degree temperature in the fall will feel water sleeping than 30 degrees in the spring due to the colder ground.

I was looking into the XTherm. Only about 3 ounces heavier than my XLite, so definitely worth the weight for me.

Coffee
07-20-2014, 08:25
I did some hiking in Shenandoah National Park in late March and did the AT section from Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs starting on April 15. There were definitely some cold nights (partially frozen water bottles on two nights), and I suspect the temps may be similar in the higher mountains further south. I use a Marmot Helium long which is too big for me and therefore inefficient. I was OK on the coldest nights (high 20s) wearing a base layer and sometimes my down parka. I also carry Goosefeet Gear down socks since my feet get cold. Personally I wouldn't backpack on the AT at any time in April with less than a 20 degree bag, but I have a low tolerance for being cold.

Backpackly
07-24-2014, 00:45
I was looking into the XTherm. Only about 3 ounces heavier than my XLite, so definitely worth the weight for me.

I bought the XTherm about a month ago and it has performed great! I got stuck in a brutal storm on Mt. Whitney and I was quite happy to have a decent pad to keep me warm while I waited it out. The system I am planning to bring for my thru:

XTherm Sleeping Pad (5.7R value, 15oz)
Mountain Hardwear Mountain Speed 32* (15oz)
Sea to Summit Reactor Plus Thermolite 15* Compact Liner (9.3oz)

I sleep warm plus I wear all of my clothes + Ghost Whisperer down jacket to sleep (I also intend to sleep in a 1P tent most nights rather than use shelters). With this setup I'm sweating when it's 20 degrees & it's all quite light. It is living on the edge a bit in case it when it gets real cold up in the Smokies though. Anything below 5-10 I'll probably be very uncomfortable.

RED-DOG
07-24-2014, 11:50
it's best to spend the extra money on a good bag that will keep you warm than a cheaper bag that you will freeze in, on my 2012 thru-hike i started FEB 14th and had a Montain Hardwear 30 and the only place i got cold was in the GSMNP, Whatever bag you choose, choose one you can keep the entire trail.

soumodeler
07-28-2014, 09:38
Whatever bag you choose, choose one you can keep the entire trail.

From everything I have read most people swap out their winter gear for summer weight in VA, and get it back in New England. I am pretty sure I would be uncomfortable with a 20* bag in July. Is there any particular reason you recommend keeping it then entire trail?

soumodeler
07-28-2014, 09:45
I stopped by Mountain Crossings Saturday and took a look at the WM bags they had there. I can see a MASSIVE difference between them and the Kelty bag I have now. The difference in loft is unbelievable considering they are supposedly rated the same.

However, REI gave me a 25% off coupon so I ordered an Igneo bag. Couldn't beat the price at $250. I will try that out this winter and see how it does. If it holds up, I will keep that and if not, return it and pick up a 20* WM bag before April.

Lyle
07-28-2014, 10:22

I have not read all the responses, but I did note that Malto suggested a better pad. That is my initial suggestion. Instead of buying another expensive pad for only a month or two of use, I would just get a much cheaper, generic blue foam pad to add to the X-Lite. When weather warms up, send the blue pad home or leave it in a hiker box - they are cheap.

Other options to supplement your existing bag is a silk liner. Adds a couple or three degrees warmth in my experience, but the true value is in keeping your bag much cleaner. Clean down works better than dirty down. Down booties also add a tremendous amount of perceived warmth - if your feet are warm, you feel warmer. Others will suggest wool socks - not as effective, but good. Just be sure not to get tight fitting garments to sleep in, as they will constrict needed circulation.

A knit hat is also a must-use if you want to remain warm when sleeping. Do not snuggle down into your bag entirely. While it may feel good, you will be exhaling into your insulation, eventually that moisture will have serious detrimental effects.

Still cold? Sleep in your puffy jacket. Or drape it over you like a quilt. I prefer the latter, as you don't risk compressing your sleeping bag from the inside by adding too much bulk.

My bet is that more insulation under you is what you need most.

Lyle
07-28-2014, 10:23
Forgot to add, if the extra pad/hat/booties are not enough, you will be to Neel Gap in just a few nights, so can re-evaluate there.

rock steady
07-29-2014, 21:39
I'm bringing WM 20* bag with a DIY fleece liner. Inever travel without a space blanket.If something goes wrong its the best thing you can have in cold weather. Hey I see you're in Macon! I grew up there. Travis Couch, owner of N GA Outfitters in Ellijay, is also from Macon. Take care and God bless!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-30-2014, 22:20
Looking at the Marmot Plasma 15, REI Igneo, and Sierra Designs Zissou 12 among others. The Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Liner looks like a good additional 15*.

I am trying to go as light as I can without sacrificing comfort/warmth.

Started out with a Zissou 12 but found myself sleeping cold at 38/40 degrees ( no liner, synthetic long sleeve/long pants to sleep in.) Literally felt like no down in the area at my hips. Just recently purchased a new to me WM 24 degree hooded Aspen MF. Plan to pair with a liner and my Xterm. A couple of trial overnighters when it gets colder should prove if it was a good move. Hope the Igneo proves a winner for you.