PDA

View Full Version : First Timer seeking a couple recommendations

Vibes Man
07-14-2014, 21:48
Hello everyone. On July 26, I plan on beginning a section hikingfrom Harpers Ferry to Front Royal with my dog Enzo. If anyone is passingthrough, we hope to meet you along the way. This is a new experience for us.
I sincerely appreciate recommendations on a few items I’m upin the air about.
Poncho – Recommendations on a brand/model that iswaterproof, yet has some air vent holes in the armpit area (something thatbreathes). Is there one that is widely praised?
Men’s briefs – Should I stay away from cotton? That’s what Iusually wear. I read that microfiber is recommended.
Thank you,
Vibes Man

mattjv89
07-14-2014, 22:28
I don't use a poncho so can't help you much there, but as far as the briefs go definitely stay away from cotton. Any time I'm not hiking I wear cotton boxers but first time out backpacking with them I was walking pretty funny after less than 10 miles, need I say more.. I'm currently using EMS brand briefs and they treat me fine, believe they're 100% polyester like most of the EMS wicking stuff. Exofficio is mentioned a lot here as a good brand for briefs

rocketsocks
07-14-2014, 22:37
:welcome to white blaze, yep I hardly ever wear cotton these days anymore, ploy or merino wool is just so much better IMO, at least in warm weather. As far as rain jackets go, that has always been the $64,000 million dollar question. I think many agree that they all don't vent as nearly to as good as most would like, but you might get a recommendation, mine is an off the shelf sale item Eastern Mountain Sports rain coat, Thunderhead, it works for me, but when it dies, I'll be asking the same question as you....what to get now?

HooKooDooKu
07-14-2014, 23:22
You don't want cotton... you want something that will dry easily when it gets wet from sweat, rain, or a fall in the creek.

I don't recall what brand of boxers I have. They were what local out-door retailer stocked that had a feel similar to silk, but is just polyester. I've heard silk is a good option as well.

shelb
07-14-2014, 23:35
Definitely - no cotton! While my husband loves his Ex-Officio brand name, both my teen-age sons are happy with their compression shorts they use for sports at school (Starter Brand from Walmart = $12.99).

When it is not the rainy season, we might just carry one of the 99 cent ponchos from a discount store (cheap/light) - for a shorter hike...

Vibes Man
07-14-2014, 23:57
Thank you Mattjv89, Rocketsocks, n HooKooDooku for pointing me in the right direction. 'Preciate it.

Vibes Man
07-15-2014, 00:02
Definitely - no cotton! While my husband loves his Ex-Officio brand name, both my teen-age sons are happy with their compression shorts they use for sports at school (Starter Brand from Walmart = $12.99).

When it is not the rainy season, we might just carry one of the 99 cent ponchos from a discount store (cheap/light) - for a shorter hike...

That's a good idea on the poncho. Can't beat 99 cents. Thank you.

12trysomething
07-15-2014, 08:12
When it comes to rain protection I have used a rain jacket and a poncho...not liking either. Recently I picked up a Packa, half jacket, half poncho, half backpack cover...now that's a lotta halves.

Not sure what your budget is, here is a link to a video I made when I received my packa. Good luck!

http://youtu.be/W9EcF-3uQFY

Ender
07-15-2014, 09:54
I've been using a poncho recently for warm weather hiking. I picked up a Sierra Designs poncho that's made of waterproof/breathable fabric, and have been happy with its performance. It's not huge, but it's large enough to cover me and sorta act as a pack cover. In all but the very windiest weather it has kept me dry. I think (?) it was called the Hurricane poncho.

Vibes Man
07-15-2014, 10:01
When it comes to rain protection I have used a rain jacket and a poncho...not liking either. Recently I picked up a Packa, half jacket, half poncho, half backpack cover...now that's a lotta halves.

Not sure what your budget is, here is a link to a video I made when I received my packa. Good luck!

http://youtu.be/W9EcF-3uQFY

Dude! That thing rules! I'm on it. Your video was excellent, you explained everything. Thank you thank you thank you.

Gambit McCrae
07-15-2014, 10:05
Rain Poncho- What I do in the hot hot summer like july is line my pack with a light syl nylon drybag, and if it starts rainging heavy I just hike in my compression shorts and put my clothes in the drybag with everything else. Its still going to be quite warm if it rains and feels great :) when it stops raining I walk till im dry and put my clothes back on.

If you like sleeping in cotton under britches then you could take a pair and keep in your pack but I recomend compression shorts.

Have a great time. Since you say this is a new experience for you and enzo I willl off thiese helpful doggie friendly tips.
-Dont trust other peoples dogs even if they say they are nice on the trail until they have been around each other for a day or so. Even then seperate during feeding
-If you get to a shelter in the rain and there are people there, be prepared ot tent.
-if your dog poops in the trail move it
-When you get to a water source and other people are there, be mindful and allow everyone to get their water before Enzo laps up.
-Be mindful of upcoming road crossings and park crossings and leash enzo, cars can be sneaky for our pups when coming thru on a trail

Have a great time!

12trysomething
07-15-2014, 10:16
Dude! That thing rules! I'm on it. Your video was excellent, you explained everything. Thank you thank you thank you.

Glad to hear it. Let Ed know you heard from Rob and saw my video, he will take care of you. He is a great vendor!

Vibes Man
07-15-2014, 10:28
I've been using a poncho recently for warm weather hiking. I picked up a Sierra Designs poncho that's made of waterproof/breathable fabric, and have been happy with its performance. It's not huge, but it's large enough to cover me and sorta act as a pack cover. In all but the very windiest weather it has kept me dry. I think (?) it was called the Hurricane poncho.

Ender, I looked up that poncho on Sierra Designs site. Looks pretty useful, and only $40. I was originally set on a poncho. But, after seeing 12trysomething's video on The Packa (Pack cover turns poncho in 30 seconds), I'm sold on it. Hopefully, The Packa is somewhat as durable. Thank you for the info. I'm learning.

Vibes Man
07-15-2014, 10:31
Glad to hear it. Let Ed know you heard from Rob and saw my video, he will take care of you. He is a great vendor!

I most definitely will. Btw, I'm 5'11" , 185 lbs. I'm thinking I would wear the Medium. You think?

12trysomething
07-15-2014, 10:32
I most definitely will. Btw, I'm 5'11" , 185 lbs. I'm thinking I would wear the Medium. You think?

When you call him (best way to order in my opinion) tell him your height, weight, pack and how you load gear (any on the outside) and he will dial in the size for you. This is what he did via email with my wife for me.

Vibes Man
07-15-2014, 10:50
Rain Poncho- What I do in the hot hot summer like july is line my pack with a light syl nylon drybag, and if it starts rainging heavy I just hike in my compression shorts and put my clothes in the drybag with everything else. Its still going to be quite warm if it rains and feels great :) when it stops raining I walk till im dry and put my clothes back on.

If you like sleeping in cotton under britches then you could take a pair and keep in your pack but I recomend compression shorts.

Have a great time. Since you say this is a new experience for you and enzo I willl off thiese helpful doggie friendly tips.
-Dont trust other peoples dogs even if they say they are nice on the trail until they have been around each other for a day or so. Even then seperate during feeding
-If you get to a shelter in the rain and there are people there, be prepared ot tent.
-if your dog poops in the trail move it
-When you get to a water source and other people are there, be mindful and allow everyone to get their water before Enzo laps up.
-Be mindful of upcoming road crossings and park crossings and leash enzo, cars can be sneaky for our pups when coming thru on a trail

Have a great time!

Thanks Gambit, I do like the idea of the silicon nylon dry bag. I looked it up and I can see it's a great idea. I have compression shorts because of the Bikram yoga I practice. So, I'll bring those. I sincerely appreciate the advice for Enzo. I'll take it. I planned on being conservative and considerate. But, I had no visual aspect of what to expect. All these helpful hints are great for me. With retirement only eight years away, I want to learn what I can, so I can thru-hike on the day after retirement on December 13, 2022. Thank you very much.

SteelCut
07-15-2014, 10:52
When you call him (best way to order in my opinion) tell him your height, weight, pack and how you load gear (any on the outside) and he will dial in the size for you. This is what he did via email with my wife for me.

I ordered Packa's for my wife and myself a few months ago. We love them and had great customer service too. I definitely prefer these over regular "breathable" rain jackets in most conditions and as well as regular poncho's. They are a tad pricey though IMHO.

Vibes Man
07-15-2014, 10:54

I see. That's very helpful. Amazing looking product.

Kerosene
07-15-2014, 13:08
A long-time member of this site, Deacon, is selling a rare e-Vent packa on this site here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?105085). If the sizing works for you (both poncho and pack size) then I'd suggest you snap it up. The e-Vent material provides more breathability than sil-nylon.

Vibes Man
07-15-2014, 16:33
A long-time member of this site, Deacon, is selling a rare e-Vent packa on this site here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?105085). If the sizing works for you (both poncho and pack size) then I'd suggest you snap it up. The e-Vent material provides more breathability than sil-nylon.

Thanks for the info, kerosene!

shelb
07-16-2014, 01:12
I know this is terrible, but for section hikes, I only carry one of those disposable 50 cent ponchos, unless I hear it is going to really rain a lot..... So far, it has worked for me (with minimal rain forecast).

One day, I will make that investment!

Ender
07-16-2014, 08:54
I know this is terrible, but for section hikes, I only carry one of those disposable 50 cent ponchos, unless I hear it is going to really rain a lot..... So far, it has worked for me (with minimal rain forecast).

One day, I will make that investment!

You're not the only one. If I don't expect it to rain on an overnight hike, I just pack one of those $0.50 ponchos instead of my normal poncho. Heck, on the AT I used one (well, a couple, since they do wear out) of those ponchos through the White Mountains, since I missed my mail drop with my rain jacket in it. It worked just fine. A little steamy, since they don't breath, but that also helped to keep me a bit warmer in the colder White Mountain air, so it wasn't so bad.