PDA

View Full Version : Water filter choice, what's popular?

Gaiter
07-15-2014, 03:02
So first of all, I actually don't mind pumping my water :eek:, many times were having a filter has come in handy, many times I've loaned it to others because they were having to scoop out of muddy puddles, and I really really hate any chemicals. Oh did I mention I hate chemicals, even the 'tasteless' ones I taste. So now that's out of the way, I've had the same kayadyn hiker pro filter for 8+ years, and it's treated me well, but it's sprung a leak, literally, shooting out the side with the pump in the seam of the plastic...
But before I just go out and get another the same thing, what's popular now, I haven't researched this subject in 8+ years, so please chime in with your suggestions on filter type! Anything lighter in weight but hasn't least the same fast pumping of the hiker pro?:banana

illabelle
07-15-2014, 06:10
We use this purifier-filter. No chemicals. No floaties. No illness.
Now if they would just come up with a chilled water version...

http://www.campmor.com/first-need-xl-purification-device.shtml

QHShowoman
07-15-2014, 06:44
Sawyer mini.

rickb
07-15-2014, 07:17
Sawyer mini.

Yes.

With an Evernew bag. You need a larger on than comes with the mini, and the threads of the Evernew fit well.

I don't always drink filtered water, but when I do....

A lot of gear posts you see are about fine-tuning or just fascination with the latest and greatest. This is different-- really good if you filter.

gsingjane
07-15-2014, 07:32
If you contact Katahdyn, I think they will replace the plastic cylinder (not the filter element) for free. At least they did so for me, no questions asked. So you may not have to make ANY decisions!

Jane

Damn Yankee
07-15-2014, 08:01
But if you do, either the Sawyer mini or squeeze.

linus72
07-15-2014, 09:24
sawyer mini for sure. I just bought a 2 pack of the 64oz bags as the 16oz that comes with it isn't all that helpful in terms of storage volume, and the the threads on the platypus i used as additional storage on the first multi-day section didnt fit that well.

rocketsocks
07-15-2014, 09:29
I too like my Katahdin hiker pro, it's a true work horse, but have recently bought a (you guessed it) Sawyer mini. I'll not get rid of the old pro, again it's a work horse and deserves it's place in my pack if conditions dictate.

rocketsocks
07-15-2014, 09:32
I too like my Katahdin hiker pro, it's a true work horse, but have recently bought a (you guessed it) Sawyer mini. I'll not get rid of the old pro, again it's a work horse and deserves it's place in my pack if conditions dictate.
Oops...forgot to say. Conditions might be hiking with many people in the group, it can pump large volumes rather quickly.

Lyle
07-15-2014, 09:38
I too like the Sawyer Squeeze/Mini, but from the OP question, it seems she likes the pump feature, being able to pull the water from a puddle. The Squeeze will not perform this function.

In light of the above, contacting the manufacturer of your current pump seems your best option.

rocketsocks
07-15-2014, 09:52
I too like the Sawyer Squeeze/Mini, but from the OP question, it seems she likes the pump feature, being able to pull the water from a puddle. The Squeeze will not perform this function.

In light of the above, contacting the manufacturer of your current pump seems your best option.I agree, I'll just bet cha they give her a new one. It only makes sense to keep a product user coming back, in the climate of today, and competition being what it is.

rocketsocks
07-15-2014, 09:56
I agree, I'll just bet cha they give her a new one. It only makes sense to keep a product user coming back, in the climate of today, and competition being what it is.

...and I don't see this as "getting over" but rather allowing a company to get some free word of mouth advertising...advertising ain't cheap these days, my Sister works in that field...it's big business, mucho Boo Koo dollars, always the dollars. Can't hurt to inquire.

HooKooDooKu
07-15-2014, 10:39
I understand the desire for a pump system as I have loved my Sweetwater filter when I've encountered low flowing water along nearly level ground.

But IF you have to buy something new, I can't see spending around $100 for a pump system when you can get the Sawyer Mini from WalMart for only $20. Granted, collection is a little bit more difficult, but the Sawyer is so flexible. If you want to stay ultra lightweight, you simply use a 500mL dirty water bag (like what comes with the mini) and stay at the water source filling the pouch and squeezing the water through the filter directly into your water container.

I personally bought an Evernew 2L bag for a dirty water bag and a 2L Platypus bag and the hoser attachement. I added a string to the Evernew bag so that I can hang it and I use the Sawyer-mini as a gravity filter. I take only my dirty water bag to the water source, fill it up, come back to camp, setup the gravity system and let it filter the water while I do other tasks. And if flow rate is an issue because you have large groups, the mini is cheap enough to simply buy multiples.

RED-DOG
07-15-2014, 10:54
I have always used the Katahdan Hiker-Pro anything else just doesn't measure up, the Sawyer Mini is a decent filter but you have to use something to scoop with so their for you will get floaties and all kinds of nasty stuff in the water, the Sweatwater filter is a good filter but it's slow, so in my personal oppinion the Katahdan Hiker-Pro is the best filter out their, you can use it in slow moving water, mud puddles, any kind of water source and you get no floaties or any type of chemical taste, so my Advice to you is to stay with the best and get another Hiker-Pro if you don't you will be kicking yourself in the butt every single time you go hiking with anything else.

Namtrag
07-15-2014, 12:41
Platypus gravity flow...scoop the water into the dirty bag, click the hose in and connect to clean bag, and 5 minutes later, you have 2-4 liters of water, depending on what size you buy.

Sarcasm the elf
07-15-2014, 13:05
If you are concerned about chemicals then be careful, nearly all of the water sources on the A.T. contain huge amounts of dihydrogen monixide and none of the filters suggested above will remove much of it. :D:p

But seriously, the Sawyer Mini is probably the best combination of price, convenience and quality that is on the market these days.

HooKooDooKu
07-15-2014, 13:10
Platypus gravity flow...scoop the water into the dirty bag, click the hose in and connect to clean bag, and 5 minutes later, you have 2-4 liters of water, depending on what size you buy.
In the face of a $20 Sawyer Mini, the $100 Platypus gravity system (and MSR's equivalent) no longer makes sense to me.

I can (and have) built something that's roughly the equivalent for about $65.

Parts List:
Platypus Hoser 2.0L - $23
Evernew 2.0L Water Carry - $18
Sawyer Mini - $20 (WalMart)
String and Hole Punch (so that you can make Evernew Water Carry hang-able)
Total: $61

Namtrag
07-15-2014, 13:15
That's pretty awesome, HooKoo!

kzab77
07-15-2014, 15:33
I am currently on a thru hike, got off at rutland vermont to come home for a week for a wedding. I started with the hiker pro water filter and it ended up breaking around the 700 mile mark on the trail. Along with it being very hard to pump up to that point, I had a hard time spending the money on a new filter for it, so I didn't. Clearly why it broke. I then switched to Aquamira which someone gave me till i got to the next town with an outfitter, which turned out to be Dalevile. I then bought the sawyer mini, and upto this point use both the sawyer and the drops. Drops i use when I am filling my water bladder, and when drinking water right away i will use the sawyer attached to a 1 litre bag. This system works for me. I would suggest the sawyer squeeze fora filter for sure, but i find a lot of ppl with the mini wish they bought the regular sawyer squeeze because the flow rate tends to be a fair bit faster, and not to much heavier (dont know the exact specs). Also will definitely need to switch from the half liter bag it comes with to either a liter or 2 liter.

Old Hiker
07-15-2014, 16:27
I've used my Sweetwater for a long time and I like it. I've bought extra cartridges on sale on Amazon plus a pre-filter that works extraordinarily well. My first cartridge clogged after about 75 miles on the Trail, even avoiding silty looking water and pumping only from "clear" sources. The siltstopper has kept me from changing the cartridge the remaining time on the Trail, maybe 325 miles or so.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-02214-SweetWater-Siltstopper/dp/B001HADTIW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405455839&sr=8-2&keywords=sweetwater+prefilter

I don't care about the weight. I can pump a LOT of water in just a few minutes. That being said: I ALSO used the iodine tabs + neutralizer. I'm extremely paranoid about water.

http://www.amazon.com/Potable-Aqua-Water-Purification-Tablets/dp/B0009I3T3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405456009&sr=8-1&keywords=water+treatment+tablets

gbolt
07-15-2014, 17:17
Thanks for the info straight from the Trail kzab77. I was upset that I jumped the gun on purchasing a Sawyer Squeeze last Summer, only to have the mini hit the market at 1/2 the cost +. Was thinking of passing this on to a brother that doesn't hike as often as I, in exchange for the lighter mini. However, I am glad you posted about the flow rate tending to be faster. I love the regular squeeze other than the size/weight, so I may just hang on to it.

illabelle
07-15-2014, 18:26
If you are concerned about chemicals then be careful, nearly all of the water sources on the A.T. contain huge amounts of dihydrogen monixide and none of the filters suggested above will remove much of it. :D:p

Is this chemical dangerous in small quantities, mister elf? ;)

lemon b
07-15-2014, 18:28
I have two the sweet water and the KPro. Sometimes if i know the area I use aquimire. And have that little packets the one has to wait on.

AfghanVet
07-15-2014, 20:56
I got a Sawyer Mini last weekend and used it last Sunday. It was worth the twenty dollars I spent just for the peace of mind alone.

Sarcasm the elf
07-15-2014, 21:04

Well it depends. In it's common liquid form it is perfectly safe in small quantities, however I have heard that there are a number of industrial processes that convert dihydrogen monoxide into a sold or even a gaseous form. If it is processed into a solid or a gas then it can be dangerous in much smaller quantities. :D

HooKooDooKu
07-15-2014, 21:21
...I am glad you posted about the flow rate tending to be faster. I love the regular squeeze other than the size/weight, so I may just hang on to it.
According to Sawyer, the Mini's flow rate is about half that of the original squeeze (http://www.walkingwithwired.com/2013/10/comparing-new-sawyer-mini-water-filter.html).

There is a youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZL9dzfWQM) that shows an original squeeze can filter 1L of water in 31 seconds. So the mini should be able to filter 1L in about 1 minute.

I tested my used (but recently backflushed) mini with my gravity feed setup. Without any squeezing at all, the setup filtered a 2L Evernew bladder in 4 minutes (1L in 2 minutes).
I punched a hole in the corner of the Evernew bladder and hung it from the knob of a cabinet door. The angle of the bladder and the relatively slow filtering helps allow silt to sink to the bottom corner of the bladder causing less silt going into the mini. The hose on the platypus hoser has been replaced by the medical tubing that came with my Sweetwater filter. The medical tubing coils up much easier than the much thicker walled tubing that comes with the hoser.

gbolt
07-15-2014, 22:06
That's a great set up HooKoo, especially the slight angle to cause less silt. I also purchased the Tornado Tube and tubing to allow better flow into Smart Water Bottles as well as back flushing with some force every time I filter water. Of course I don't carry the syringe on trips any more. Although I have read about some alternatives that work for the mini, I really do like the system I have been using "on the trail". I may have to look into tubing that coils rather than "crouching over the creek rocks" while filtering. Once again, the idea's shared on this forum make the choice of product tougher but the methodology that much easier!

thecyclops
07-24-2014, 18:39
Ive owned the MSR mini-works,the Katadyn Ive used a bit as my parents own it and Ive owned the life straw and the Sawyer mini blows them all out of the water(pun intended) its not even close.

ChuckT
07-24-2014, 19:04

But seriously, the Sawyer Mini is probably the best combination of price, convenience and quality that is on the market these days.
That thar Di hydro gen Mon oxide is dangerous stuf'! Like to kill a feller lessen ya tame it down a bit wd some Mr. James Bean er one 'o his buddys.

lzeplin
07-24-2014, 20:31
Here is a link to a review of 15 of the most popular water filters..
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Water-Filter-Reviews
I own the platypus gravity works and love it, its super fast

troutalope
05-19-2015, 19:42
I use and love the Sawyer Squeeze. I have had no issues with it at all. I prefer it over the old MSR pump filters that I have used.

The Splitter
05-20-2015, 08:29
I have an MSR Hyperflow and love it, I would definitely buy one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
05-20-2015, 09:05

I have always used the Katahdan Hiker-Pro anything else just doesn't measure up . . . so in my personal oppinion the Katahdan Hiker-Pro is the best filter out their, you can use it in slow moving water, mud puddles, any kind of water source and you get no floaties or any type of chemical taste, so my Advice to you is to stay with the best and get another Hiker-Pro if you don't you will be kicking yourself in the butt every single time you go hiking with anything else.

I've been using the PUR now Katadyn hiker filter for the last 15 years and it has several drawbacks and is in no way the best but I'm sticking with it for the duration. What's so crappy about the Hiker filter?

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/On-Rocky-Flats/i-m2s73zj/0/L/PUR%20CRAP%20002-L.jpg
The Hiker pump shaft is attached to the pump palm handle with this tiny little plastic weld---and it will fail!! Over 15 years I have snapped 4 pump handles in the field and it sucks.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/On-Rocky-Flats/i-2XtqWvq/0/L/PUR%20CRAP%20001-L.jpg
Here's another shot of the tiny surface area of the handle weld---it's just not beefy enough to withstand rigorous pumping and seems engineered to fail. Then you'll need to either get a replacement pump handle or go to Plan B, below.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/On-Rocky-Flats/i-ddnvKfv/0/L/PUR%20FILTER%20004-L.jpg

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/On-Rocky-Flats/i-C436gNP/0/L/PUR%20FILTER%20003-L.jpg
The fix solution is easy enough---Put in a long screw and let it seat in the shaft groove. Dang thing won't break now.

Other drawbacks to the Hiker filter? The filter cartridge clogs up fast and costs about $40 or more to replace. I have been through around 15 cartridges over the years and they used to cost about $25 so what the heck happened?

FlyPaper
05-20-2015, 10:30
Based on your preferences, you might want to stick with what you got, even if it means buying a new one.

I've got a Steripen, an MSR filter, and a Sawyer Mini. Sometimes I carry all of them. The Steripen is great when the water is clear already and I prefer using it when getting water that is fast flowing and clear. The Sawyer Mini is cheap and light weight. But I've had trouble getting water out of muddy trickles along the ground. It is lighter weight, cheaper but less versatile than a pump. I like drinking the water from the MSR best of all. It is clear, safe, and tastes great. The Kayadyn that you have is similar to my MSR, except the Kayadyn pumps faster.

As for me, whenever there is a question of water availability, I take my pump because it get basically draw clean water from a wet spot on the trail. But if we're hiking around plenty of water, I might leave my pump at home and rely on either the Steripen or the Sawyer Mini.

BirdBrain
05-20-2015, 10:39
Other drawbacks to the Hiker filter? The filter cartridge clogs up fast and costs about $40 or more to replace. I have been through around 15 cartridges over the years and they used to cost about $25 so what the heck happened?

Complete agree with your assessment. I loved my hiker pro. I changed to the Sawyer Squeeze last year because of the clogging and filter cost and weight. Sawyer lasted fine. Loved it. Changed to mini this year because of further weight savings and reduced replacement costs.

Poncho Hiker
05-20-2015, 12:28
I have had success with the MSR miniworks pump. i've had it for 7 years and it hasn't failed me.

Cadenza
05-27-2015, 17:42
I've had the MSR Miniworks EX for about 7 years also and it has never once had a problem. Good solid filter.

I just bought the MSR Hyperflow. It's smaller and just slightly over half the weight of the Miniworks EX, but it delivers water three times as fast!
It has an advertised rate of 3 liters per minute. I can fill a 96 oz bladder in one minute, 15 seconds.

perdidochas
05-28-2015, 11:47

Yes, every dead adult known has consumed dihydrogen monoxide in various amounts at different times.

WillyJoel
08-28-2016, 20:33
Hi,

I am planning a 4-day canoe trip this fall.

Recently I was researching portable water filters and bought a LifeStraw. Have you any experience with it?

I read this review and decided to buy it, but haven't tried yet: http://campingandcamping.com/8-best-backpacking-water-filter-reviews-tips/

turtle fast
08-28-2016, 22:33
I rarely run into other hikers on the East Coast that use the General Ecology First Need water purifier. It has a good flow rate, comes with a prefilter attached to a hose that is easy cleanable. It's a purifier that works to remove viruses. Cons that's it's a tad heavier filter, a back washing pain, and the expensive filter needs replacing after roughly 500gal.

Backpackerjohnson
08-29-2016, 05:16
I just want you to know that H2O is a chemical...

ChuckT
08-29-2016, 05:22
Not only is water a chemical but (true story!) if you happen to keep a squeeze bottle of it around, in a lab, OSHA will make you label the bottle.
Our tax dollars hard at work.😐

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Traveler
08-29-2016, 07:23
Not only is water a chemical but (true story!) if you happen to keep a squeeze bottle of it around, in a lab, OSHA will make you label the bottle.
Our tax dollars hard at work.

Perhaps better to leave bottles unlabeled in a lab. Makes life much more exciting if theres a small fire and alcohol can be used instead of water or acid used to flush chemical off skin or eyes.

OSHA does a lot of things many find silly, many of them common sense related. However, the better question remains, why wouldn't you label all your containers with fluids in a lab? This kind of extends to backpacking as well in somehow labeling unfiltered and filtered water containers.

ChuckT
08-29-2016, 07:31
Actually was labeled "WATER" cause "Always Add Acid" but that wasn't enough

ChuckT
08-29-2016, 07:31
Labeled in 2 inch block lettering in RED as well.
Can't win😬

Traveler
08-29-2016, 07:50
Hi,

I am planning a 4-day canoe trip this fall.

Recently I was researching portable water filters and bought a LifeStraw. Have you any experience with it?

I read this review and decided to buy it, but haven't tried yet: http://campingandcamping.com/8-best-backpacking-water-filter-reviews-tips/

The Lifestraw works fine for drinking a variety of sources in real-time, however in my experience, a higher capacity water filter usually works out better when you want to filter a liter, or several, at a time.

FWIW, in a canoe trek, even with some portaging, a more robust filtering system may be better. A sawyer filter could work well for example and not weigh much, though they can take some time (not as much time as filtering via a Lifestraw). I have used Katadyn Hiker Pro pump type filtering system for years without a problem, they don't add significantly to the weight on a short trip and their ability to filter a lot of water very quickly is very good and may be of better use than a personal straw especially when a canoe will be doing most of the carrying.