PDA

View Full Version : Can a sleeping pad R-value be too high for the summer?

StealthHikerBoy
07-15-2014, 08:21
Perhaps a dumb question, but that is what the Internet is for :)

Everything else being equal, in colder weather I'd assume getting the highest R-value sleeping pad is better, as it will do a better job of keeping me warm. But, how about for sleeping in hotter weather? Will a high R-value pad be too warm on a hot night, or won't that matter?

rocketsocks
07-15-2014, 09:25
Perhaps a dumb question, but that is what the Internet is for :)

Everything else being equal, in colder weather I'd assume getting the highest R-value sleeping pad is better, as it will do a better job of keeping me warm. But, how about for sleeping in hotter weather? Will a high R-value pad be too warm on a hot night, or won't that matter?
I'm gonna guess that answers will be yes it will increase your over all temp and keep you sleeping hotter. In summer months or warmer months I use a pad with no insulation, though the bottom of my sleeping bag has Primaloft One in place of down, if it gets warm out I just use it like a quilt and lay it over me, switching/sliding back and forth between the down side and synthetic side cold front moves through, I get in it.

The Solemates
07-15-2014, 10:01
some of the best sleeping is on cool bare earth covered in pine needles or moss in the summer. no pad required.

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2014, 10:47
I doubt one would notice Primaloft or Hi R in summer......

Slo-go'en
07-15-2014, 10:53
I doubt you would notice any difference. The higher R value mat would likely be a little heavier then the lower R value mat and would be the only concern during the summer.

johnnybgood
07-15-2014, 12:37
I use the women's Neo Xlite with the high R value ~ 3.9) , with no discernable difference noticed. Of course no two people are the same , although I will say that I'm typically a warm sleeper.

rocketsocks
07-15-2014, 12:48
some of the best sleeping is on cool bare earth covered in pine needles or moss in the summer. no pad required.That sounds nice!

I doubt you would notice any difference. The higher R value mat would likely be a little heavier then the lower R value mat and would be the only concern during the summer.

I doubt one would notice Primaloft or Hi R in summer......

I use the women's Neo Xlite with the high R value ~ 3.9) , with no discernable difference noticed. Of course no two people are the same , although I will say that I'm typically a warm sleeper.

Well the weather is about to break here, and I've been wanting to sleep outside, so it sounds like a test is in order...coarse it's all relative to the individual...but now I gotta know for me, head to head, side by side. will get back to ya's

here's what I have.

Big Agnes air core~un-insulated

Big Agnes air core~isolated R-Value 4.1

Kerosene
07-15-2014, 13:05
Insulation doesn't make you warmer or colder, it just insulates you from the temperature of the surface below the pad. So, if you choose to lie down on a surface that has been baking in direct sunlight all day, a higher R-value pad would keep more of that heat from getting to your backside. If you lie down on a surface cooler than the top of your pad, then you would feel slightly warmer. Frankly, for 3-season hiking I've found that an R-3 pad is sufficient; go as light as you can.

Venchka
07-15-2014, 13:27
Xtherm Large. Since the Xlites & Xtherms are uninsulated and rely on a reflected/radiant principle, I was concerned that I might get roasted by my own body heat radiating back to me from the Xtherm. After 2 weeks, 8 nights straight, on the floor in Houston last month (A/C set to 78), I slept just fine. Not hot. Not cold. Just right. I do think that I warmed the air in the Xtherm slightly. It always felt a little firmer in the morning.
Now I am wondering if the newfangled high tech stuff is going to work when it really gets cold. We'll know in Decemeber-January.

Wayne

imscotty
07-15-2014, 16:57
In practice I do not think you can have too high of an R-value underneath you. Think of the thick, stuffed, insulated mattress you probably sleep on at home. Is that what is making you too warm at night? Probably not. Much more pertinent is the R-value on top of you. At home you just kick off the comforter/blanket/ and or sheets until you find what is comfortable for the temperature. I find the same thing works on the trail regardless of what is under you.

Now in the cold weather the R-value under you becomes very important. On a warm summer night I would say comfort and the weight you are willing to carry are more important considerations.

Violent Green
07-15-2014, 21:16
In practice I do not think you can have too high of an R-value underneath you. Think of the thick, stuffed, insulated mattress you probably sleep on at home. Is that what is making you too warm at night? Probably not. Much more pertinent is the R-value on top of you. At home you just kick off the comforter/blanket/ and or sheets until you find what is comfortable for the temperature. I find the same thing works on the trail regardless of what is under you.

Now in the cold weather the R-value under you becomes very important. On a warm summer night I would say comfort and the weight you are willing to carry are more important considerations.

This. You cannot have too high of an R-value pad in regards to overheating you.

Ryan

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2014, 21:22
in a survival situation - you can increase the r-value by loading on leaves... below or above. yes load a pile on top of a tent works.. down side.. you maybe adding tick larve.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-15-2014, 21:36
I use my xterm with the reflective side facing down in the warm weather. So far have found it comfortable in cold and warm weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lemon b
07-17-2014, 11:33
imscotty makes much sense. I use a neo air most bag nights. Sub 30 I haul along an extra solid old school pad which I place under the neo.

rocketsocks
07-17-2014, 11:45
Insulation doesn't make you warmer or colder, it just insulates you from the temperature of the surface below the pad. So, if you choose to lie down on a surface that has been baking in direct sunlight all day, a higher R-value pad would keep more of that heat from getting to your backside. If you lie down on a surface cooler than the top of your pad, then you would feel slightly warmer. Frankly, for 3-season hiking I've found that an R-3 pad is sufficient; go as light as you can.

Really no need for a head to head test...this makes total sense to me, and I likely have my answers. Thanks to all.