PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with these quilts?

Mappage
07-15-2014, 15:36
Bag/Quilt

Down

Weight

Katabatic Palisade 30*

850 Water Resistant

19.2oz

ZPacks 30*

16.4oz

EE
Revelation 30*

900 HyperDry

16.25oz

FF Vireo UL

16.7oz

Getting ready to order my quilt for next September JMT hike and wanted to hear from people directly about their experiences with any of these 4 quilts.

Rocket Jones
07-15-2014, 18:39
Is 30* enough for September on the JMT? I'd consider going lower than that, but that's me.

Vibes Man
07-15-2014, 19:09
When someone suggested to me I use a quilt instead of a bag, I figured to take the actual quilt from my spare bedroom. Now, I'm thinking I have it all wrong. I had no idea that "quilt" meant another item I had to buy. Another google search.....

Grampsb
07-16-2014, 04:35
I have had the Palisade for abut 2 years (not water resistance) and love it. It has been on multiple trips including Dolly Sods. When I purchased the bad the customer service was outstanding since I had several questions about sizing. I would not hesitate to buy more gear from them, in fact the 15D Sawatch is on my short list for my next bag

garlic08
07-16-2014, 21:07
I used the EE RevX 30 on a two-month summer trip, starting in the North Cascades in wet blowing snow. It's good down to its rating for me. It's the best gear purchase I've made in many years.

Malto
07-16-2014, 21:40
I would take a 20 deg quilt into the Sierra in September.

Bluegrass
07-24-2014, 11:32
I got the EE RevX 20 last year and I agree with garlic08 - it has been one of the best purchases I have made. I am probably going to upgrade it to an Enigma soon.

Tron-Life
07-31-2014, 08:27
EE make great quilts. I really want a Revelation or Enigma quilt but I can't afford one right now. A friend has one and I'm so jealous that I might steal it! I think EE is a great company with alot of options in different price ranges. My next quilt is definitely coming from them; though, I may get a synthetic quilt but I really like the weight-savings and compressibility of down.

Tron-Life
07-31-2014, 08:31
Is 30* enough for September on the JMT? I'd consider going lower than that, but that's me.

For the west coast mountains, a 20 would probably be better. Some people rather take a lighter bag and more clothes but that is usually false economy. That approach is more versatile however. I rather have a warm bag and have next to no clothes except the ones on my back, but to each his own.

garlic08
07-31-2014, 09:33
For the west coast mountains, a 20 would probably be better. Some people rather take a lighter bag and more clothes but that is usually false economy. That approach is more versatile however. I rather have a warm bag and have next to no clothes except the ones on my back, but to each his own.

I definitely agree with this. I can't seem to make a jacket work for me while I'm trying to sleep--it seems restricts my movement and ends up making me colder somehow. I have camped with people who do fine with it, though, so definitely, to each his/her own.

I've even camped with people who use a half bag and a serious down jacket--I couldn't even imagine doing that.

Tron-Life
07-31-2014, 11:08
I definitely agree with this. I can't seem to make a jacket work for me while I'm trying to sleep--it seems restricts my movement and ends up making me colder somehow. I have camped with people who do fine with it, though, so definitely, to each his/her own.

I've even camped with people who use a half bag and a serious down jacket--I couldn't even imagine doing that.

I like the idea of layering up for bed but I find that sometimse wearing all those clothes can make your skin clammy and damp which makes you colder. I sweat alot, especially at night, so this might be an individual issue.