PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade 2 person tent...recommendations please

saltysack
07-15-2014, 21:59
I currently have an Easton kilo 2 person tent...I mainly hike solo w my 20lb jack Russell on the southern AT but plan yo start bringing my 8 yo son. Not sure about cuben fiber with a dog. I'm not sold on cuben as I own a zpack cuben food bag and seems to chafe pretty easily.....the Easton tent is aprox 2lbs so would like to shave few oz and make use of my trekking poles as supports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregpphoto
07-18-2014, 09:28
Chafing? Youre not wearing it, are you? And are you sure the tent you have now is only 2 lbs? Thats really light, especially for a marginal brand.

saltysack
07-18-2014, 09:47
Oops 2lb 13oz

saltysack
07-18-2014, 09:58
Chafe.....I keep my cook kit in w my food bag. Snow peak mug almost rubbed a hole in cf food bag. Worried about dog nails and cf.

gregpphoto
07-18-2014, 11:36
Chafe.....I keep my cook kit in w my food bag. Snow peak mug almost rubbed a hole in cf food bag. Worried about dog nails and cf.

Ah, now that could be a problem! I keep my cuben tarp in a place in my back where it wont get rubbed, and I dont have pets under it. You might be better off with a tarp anyhows, given the dog, and sil-nylon makes for relatively light weight at a great price.

saltysack
07-18-2014, 11:55
I want the bug protection of a tent and keeps dog contained...

OCDave
07-18-2014, 12:36
When I camp with both my 10-year-old and our 45 lbs pooch we use a Tarptent Stratospire 2. Big enough inside for them both to feel unconfined. The vestibules are large enough to keep the dog temporarily protected from weather but outside sleeping area. I prefer to clean her paws, dry her fur and generally clean her up before bringing her into the tent. Our dog typically comes in flops herself in a corner and stays put util it is time to leave the tent so, we have had no issues with her damaging the floor. Perhaps a doggie sized sheet of Tyvek would add a degree of insurance.

Weight wise the Stratospire 2 is comparable to what you have.

Good Luck

saltysack
07-18-2014, 12:53
When I camp with both my 10-year-old and our 45 lbs pooch we use a Tarptent Stratospire 2. Big enough inside for them both to feel unconfined. The vestibules are large enough to keep the dog temporarily protected from weather but outside sleeping area. I prefer to clean her paws, dry her fur and generally clean her up before bringing her into the tent. Our dog typically comes in flops herself in a corner and stays put util it is time to leave the tent so, we have had no issues with her damaging the floor. Perhaps a doggie sized sheet of Tyvek would add a degree of insurance.

Weight wise the Stratospire 2 is comparable to what you have.

Good Luck

Most of my hikes are just me and my 20lb jack Russell wouldn't need quite as much room...looks nice....contrail big enough?

OCDave
07-18-2014, 13:01
Most of my hikes are just me and my 20lb jack Russell wouldn't need quite as much room...looks nice....contrail big enough?

Only you will know for sure. My 10-year-old can be a bit squirrelly so, I'd probably not try to squeeze us both into a Contrail. Also, I prefer the side entry tents. I find side-entry substantially easier to enter/exit making it easier to keep dirt, debris and wet outside.

saltysack
07-18-2014, 13:02
Good point

Persistent
07-18-2014, 16:27
Have you looked at the LightHeart Gear SoLong 6? Uses your hiking poles, will easily fit you and your dog, and will save you some weight over your existing tent.
Marc
LightHeart Gear

saltysack
07-18-2014, 19:00
Have you looked at the LightHeart Gear SoLong 6? Uses your hiking poles, will easily fit you and your dog, and will save you some weight over your existing tent.
Marc
LightHeart Gear

I'd forgotten about lhg ill def add to list.
Thx

Damn Yankee
07-18-2014, 21:10
Although it is only slightly lighter without the footprint than your tent, I use a Nemo Meta 2P. It has a good size sleeping area for two plus dog and has really large vestibules at 22 square feet each, one on either side with two doors.

4Bears
07-19-2014, 16:36
​Take a look at the new Light Heart Duo, only about 2 ounces more than the SoLong and more room, it might fit your needs.