PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Exit Your Tent

Chair-man
07-16-2014, 10:28
On my recent shakedown hike the hardest part wasn't hiking up and down Sassafras & Blood Mountains it was getting out of that little tent.

Trying to get out of the tent without putting your hands and knees in the dirt or mud was a real back breaker and my back pushing up on the tent was putting a lot of strain on the zippers.

So, what I do now is go out the tent butt first. It's basically the same way you go in a tent but in reverse. When exiting you start on all fours (hands & knees inside your tent and your feet outside), then you go up to all fours this time (hands and feet) then walk back a little with your HANDS a stand up, real easy, at least for me.
This tip is really for us older folks.
The only down side is you don't see what's outside your tent so look around first and make sure mr bear isn't out there waiting.:D

Likeapuma
07-16-2014, 10:36
This makes me appreciate my hammock even more than I already do lol

RED-DOG
07-16-2014, 10:47
The way I do it is, when i cut a piece of Tyvek for a ground sheet I add the Vestibule space to the Tyvek this way i don't get in the mud/dirt and plus i have a dry spot to put my gear without putting it inside the tent, so when i go in the tent I leave the vestibule open so i can just simply sit down on my sleeping bag take my shoes and socks off and slide in then reach out zip down the vestibule and close the bug net and when i get up i unzip the sleeping bag, unzip the vestibule swing around and set my feet out on to the tyvek put my socks and boots on and just simply stand up, so yeah i think you need to add more ground sheet to the vestibule side of you tent it helps out alot. and i probably should add that my tent is a Marmot EOS 1 person and it's kinda small.

rocketsocks
07-16-2014, 11:05
I like my side entrance tent (BA Copper spur ul1) I sit on my butt looking out, usually place my left hand on the floor, turn towards that hand cross my right foot over left and then just push off and stand up, I end up facing the tent and door...man I really had to think about just how I did that, but there it is.

HooKooDooKu
07-16-2014, 11:10
I do something akin to RED-DOG.

I carry a small piece of WalMart-Blue-SleepingPad-Closed-cell foam with me as a seat cushion. Not only does this make a seat on a log or rock a little more comfortable, but it also provides a dry spot is the rock/log/ground is wet or damp.

When I'm ready to turn in for the evening, I take my seat cushion to the tent with me and set it on the ground in front of the door of my tent. That gives me a dry and comfortable spot to get down on my knees to open the tent. Once open, turn around and set my rear-end inside the tent and take my boots/shoes off while they are still outside the tent.

In the morning, I can keep my feet clean and dry by 1st placing them on the seat cushion until I get my boots/shoes on, and then reverse the process to get up and out of my tent.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
07-16-2014, 11:18
I understand your problem completely, I have a big Agnes UL2 that I have to climb in it out of my tent from the front. I went to Costco and got the three mil heavy duty contractors bags, I use one to waterproof my backpack , and the other I use as a doormat , once I'm in my tent I store my food in the door mat bag , ( I sleep with my food) at night in in the morning I just roll it in front of my vestibule and climb in and outta my tent on my hands and knees and don't worry about the mud and dirt. The two bags weigh very little and they allow me to crawl out of my head and stand up. When I am hiking for two or three day hike I carry an extra bag just to use as an emergency raincoat.

DLP
07-16-2014, 12:03
I also understand your problem. :)

I use an old Reynolds Nylon Turkey Bag that I cut open for a torso sized footprint and doormat. It is super-light and very durable. http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Nylon-Oven-2-ct-Total/dp/B00HFN70B2/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1405526139&sr=1-2&keywords=turkey+bags

My sister informed me that I am risking ending up with the trail name "Turkey Bag" as I carry way too many and say 6 times a day, "I have a turkey bag for that. Do you want a turkey bag?". :)

saltysack
07-16-2014, 12:24
The way I do it is, when i cut a piece of Tyvek for a ground sheet I add the Vestibule space to the Tyvek this way i don't get in the mud/dirt and plus i have a dry spot to put my gear without putting it inside the tent, so when i go in the tent I leave the vestibule open so i can just simply sit down on my sleeping bag take my shoes and socks off and slide in then reach out zip down the vestibule and close the bug net and when i get up i unzip the sleeping bag, unzip the vestibule swing around and set my feet out on to the tyvek put my socks and boots on and just simply stand up, so yeah i think you need to add more ground sheet to the vestibule side of you tent it helps out alot. and i probably should add that my tent is a Marmot EOS 1 person and it's kinda small.

I do the same....Easton kilo 2 p tent...works good for me..also wrap my tent up in the tyvec.... Like a burrito..goes in back outside mesh pocket of my ula circuit...keeps inside pack clean and also keeps rain off tent while on pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-16-2014, 13:32
I like my side entrance tent (BA Copper spur ul1) I sit on my butt looking out, usually place my left hand on the floor, turn towards that hand cross my right foot over left and then just push off and stand up, I end up facing the tent and door...man I really had to think about just how I did that, but there it is.

I like my CS ul1 for the same reason rocketsocks. Had a FC platinum but hated crawling out the end of it. Pretty much the same I get out of mine too.

I actually put my pack at the head of the tent under my mat and bag and sleep on it like a pillow so don't keep it in the vestibule. But still like the idea of having a little something to throw down. I'll have to try that idea.

Old Grouse
07-16-2014, 14:39
Chair-Man, I think you should post a video! :)

BuckeyeBill
07-16-2014, 14:50
This makes me appreciate my hammock even more than I already do lol

+1 you got that right

rocketsocks
07-16-2014, 16:28

I like my CS ul1 for the same reason rocketsocks. Had a FC platinum but hated crawling out the end of it. Pretty much the same I get out of mine too.

I actually put my pack at the head of the tent under my mat and bag and sleep on it like a pillow so don't keep it in the vestibule. But still like the idea of having a little something to throw down. I'll have to try that idea.

There's actually a knee thrown in there after the "shuffle off the buffalo" I didn't mention, but hey, we got there. :D

July
07-16-2014, 20:12
OP presents question. Just takes one post for the hammock to voice! I love my hammocks, and am fond of my tents/tarps also, but for the life of me I have never wondered 'how' to get outta my tent.:-)

Chair-man
07-16-2014, 21:32
Chair-Man, I think you should post a video! :)

I'm not no sure you want to see a video of me coming out of my tent butt first. ;):banana

but for the life of me I have never wondered 'how' to get outta my tent.:-)

You'd have to be over 60 to appreciate it. Some of the simplest tasks become somewhat challenging when you get older.

July
07-16-2014, 21:38
I'm not no sure you want to see a video of me coming out of my tent butt first. ;):banana

You'd have to be over 60 to appreciate it. Some of the simplest tasks become somewhat challenging when you get older.
Well, find you an attractive female hiking partner, and you will soon be doing Yoga to get in and out.:-) I know what you mean, with age .

Rocket Jones
07-17-2014, 06:08
For me, whichever way I can climb out without a leg cramp midway through. Makes for some interesting and innovative exits. LOL

Old Grouse
07-17-2014, 06:53
You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out, you put your left foot in and you shake it all about....