PDA

View Full Version : Hiking by the numbers

cakeman21k
10-04-2005, 16:31
I know that I go hiking in order to get away from the daily “stuff” and as much as I believe in HYOH, I am always amazed by how much hikers get wrapped up in numbers. Everything from how many miles, how many steps, how many days weeks months etc. to how much does “it” weigh to; well you get the picture. <O:p</O:p

I thought it would be fun to get some idea’s about everybody’s favorite “number:" My personal favorite is how many BTU’s per ounce / gram of fuel, and its corollary how many ounces / grams of fuel does it take to boil a cup of water. If you are spending that much time worrying about your fuel then you either have wayyy too much time on your hands or you are wayyy too anal to be let loose in society.

<O:p></O:p>

So anyway that’s my favorite “number” what about yours?

:D

max patch
10-04-2005, 16:45
I always calculate my minutes per mile pace on day hikes. I find it interesting for some reason, plus it allows me to pretty much calculate how far I can go and get back before sundown.

rickb
10-04-2005, 16:51
My favorite number has to do with how many birds I can add to my North American "Life's List" each year, or even on a trip.

I've been birding a long time, but don't agressively chase those birds I am missing with organized groups. As such, I always have a chance finding a new bird on any given walk.

I am on sharp lookout for a three-toed woodpecker, these days.

I never added up my total, because it woudn't be very impressive (way under 300 to be sure). One thing that is kind of cool is opening up my bird book and seeing the date and comments of when I first saw a particular bird. It brings the moment back better than a photo.

Alligator
10-04-2005, 16:52
Just mph. I like to know about when I'm going to get to where I'm going, so I can eat:) .

D'Artagnan
10-04-2005, 16:54
3,000: The number of calories one has to expend to lose one (1) pound of fat. I think about it all the time.

chris
10-04-2005, 17:09
On trail, the only numbers I run are:

Miles per hour, total (distance divided by total time, including breaks).

Hours since I last saw anyone.

Time remaining before cocktail hour.

Much of the number crunching that goes on at places like whiteblaze just doesn't happen much while people are actually hiking. The main exception to this was when I was stuck in the middle of the pack in Virginia in 2004, where I got a lot of lectures on numbers.

saimyoji
10-04-2005, 17:10
tjph: toes jams per hour. Here in PA my average is pretty high. At the end of the day I often measure my success in terms of damaged toenails, or chunks of rubber missing from my boots. :eek:

Shutterbug
10-04-2005, 17:25
[QUOTE=cakeman21k]I know that I go hiking in order to get away from the daily “stuff” and as much as I believe in HYOH, I am always amazed by how much hikers get wrapped up in numbers. Everything from how many miles, how many steps, how many days weeks months etc. to how much does “it” weigh to; well you get the picture. <O:p</O:p

I thought it would be fun to get some idea’s about everybody’s favorite “number:" My personal favorite is how many BTU’s per ounce / gram of fuel, and its corollary how many ounces / grams of fuel does it take to boil a cup of water. If you are spending that much time worrying about your fuel then you either have wayyy too much time on your hands or you are wayyy too anal to be let loose in society.

<O:p></O:p>

If you like numbers, get a gps unit. Mine has more numbers than I could ever use. I have yet to figure out when I will need "Velocity Made Good."

The Solemates
10-04-2005, 17:30
Of course this changes with my mood, but current obsession is how many peaks I can bag on a trip.

Blue Jay
10-04-2005, 17:31
I hike to get away from the national obsession with numbers. No watch, don't pay attention to miles, some days seem to last forever and months feel like years. Try getting away from the old A Type habits sometime, just to see if you can.

Seeker
10-04-2005, 17:51
i guess i'm one of those too anal to let loose in society... i'm pretty conscious of my numbers (fuel, ounces of gear, etc) until i get in the car to go... after that, i don't care about them anymore... they've done their job in helping me know i'm not carrying anything more than i need...

Traction
10-04-2005, 18:00
sometimes i count how many steps i'm taking per mile.. that's fun. but also psycho. I've tried counting trees too.. but my brain has a very tough time keeping up. Oh I know.. it's fun to count how many of those little orange salamander guys you see.. I see a ton. or maybe they're all hallucenations.. I sometimes hallucenate.. or maybe that's because I'm not very good at counting how many beers i've had in an hour.. :-?

Seeker
10-04-2005, 18:19
interesting about the 'steps'... it jogged my memory... my 10 year old daughter once counted the over 2300 steps it took her to walk however far it was once... i fell into the trap and started counting too, and realized that i only took about 2 steps to her 3... made me realize a 4 mile hike was more like 6 for her... so i learned something...

Traction
10-04-2005, 18:34
that's incredible.. I think the farthest I was ever able to count was like.. 32.. yes, 32.. which, was about a mile for me.. go figure

Kerosene
10-04-2005, 18:41
I've done the steps per mile calc, and I'm just a little anal at calculating mph. Near the end of my last section hike I was getting bored and started counting steps between blazes in a poorly blazed section.

cakeman21k
10-04-2005, 19:12
Ok Lets Sumarize here:
Minutes per Mile;
Calories per pound;
Birds;
Steps per mile;
trees;
peaks per trip;
Toe Jams Per Hour (I like that one)
Velocity made good (I have no idea what that is?)
No one has mentioned calories per ouce of food or weight of various stuff. I knew this post would bring the wierd & wonderful hikers out of the woods!
LOL

Patrick
10-04-2005, 19:21
Don't get on us desk jockey BTU calculators too much. It just means our minds are on the trail when our feet aren't.

I spend half my office day dreaming about gear numbers, but I spend none of my hiking day thinking about office numbers.

Very good thread.

dougmeredith
10-04-2005, 19:22
3,000: The number of calories one has to expend to lose one (1) pound of fat. I think about it all the time.
I hate to tell you this, but it is 3500. Sorry, but you are going to have to work a little harder. :)

Doug

cakeman21k
10-04-2005, 20:01
Don't get on us desk jockey BTU calculators too much. It just means our minds are on the trail when our feet aren't.

I spend half my office day dreaming about gear numbers, but I spend none of my hiking day thinking about office numbers.

Very good thread.
not to put too fine a point on this one, but does your boss know what you do with half of your work day?
PS I started this thread 30 minutes before I left the office for the day!
lol

CynJ
10-04-2005, 21:22
My favorite number has to do with how many birds I can add to my North American "Life's List" each year, or even on a trip.

I've been birding a long time, but don't agressively chase those birds I am missing with organized groups. As such, I always have a chance finding a new bird on any given walk.

I never added up my total, because it woudn't be very impressive (way under 300 to be sure). One thing that is kind of cool is opening up my bird book and seeing the date and comments of when I first saw a particular bird. It brings the moment back better than a photo.
Very cool rick!

No entirely inline with the "numbers" thing - but I love counting and taking pictures of interesting dead trees. Somehow in my mind it pays homage to them.

Ok -I will go back to dusting my "dork of the year" awards now...lol

MOWGLI
10-04-2005, 21:28

No kiddin'! I'm a birder too. Just added a Limpet to my "list" last week on a trip to Corkscrew Nature Sanctuary near Naples, FL. What a great place! Well, I'm not actually a lister, but I know when I se something new.

Almost There
10-04-2005, 21:39
my favorite is the people who shave a couple of ounces by cutting off the end of their toothbrushes.

Almost There
10-04-2005, 21:40
If I count however, it's miles between shelters, don't know why, I don't sleep in them!

Traction
10-04-2005, 21:44
haha, well consider me a favorite.. because I definitely cut half the handle off my toothbrush.. and my spoon.. that stuff gets heavy man. haha, actually I was always cutting things down because it was something to do I think.. fun times, definitely fun times.

Whistler
10-04-2005, 22:30
I like net mph, and knowing whatever time it is. [I haven't eaten in... 12 minutes! Time for another PayDay!]
-Mark

Patrick
10-04-2005, 23:00
not to put too fine a point on this one, but does your boss know what you do with half of your work day?
PS I started this thread 30 minutes before I left the office for the day!
lol
I think I've almost converted him to hammock camping.

Nightwalker
10-04-2005, 23:51
Man, but I hate to tell you this, but it's a good bit more.

The standard given number is 3500 calories per pund of fat, but that's low as well. The following numbers are pretty close, to the best of my knowledge.

9.4 calories per gram of fat (the manufacturers round it. Down, duh.)
453.359237 grams in a pound
4261.5768278 calories per pound of fat, as close as I can figure.

That's using the conversion factor of 28.3349523125 grams per ounce.

I think about lots of numbers. Maybe it's a good thing that I'm studying computer programming, eh?

FrankenLooper, the NightWalking numbers geek

Nightwalker
10-04-2005, 23:58
I hike to get away from the national obsession with numbers. No watch, don't pay attention to miles, some days seem to last forever and months feel like years. Try getting away from the old A Type habits sometime, just to see if you can.
I only watch the time because of blood sugar issues. I check it every so often so as not to get hypoglycemic. 'Course it's a good excuse to eat cookies pretty often...

LEGS
10-05-2005, 00:18
I remember one time somebody asked me how long it took me to drive to Damascus from here. I told them 6 beers and 1 and 1/2 bowls!!! Does that count as playin the numbers game, here on this thread!!!

Traction
10-05-2005, 00:42
hahahahaha. that's genuine.

Doctari
10-05-2005, 03:59
I keep track of: miles per day, miles to go to end of day, miles to water. And my most obsessive "Numbers" is the time, I just can't get away from it for some reason. Didn't take a watch last (2 week) trip, it nearly drove me nuts. :datz I thought, pre trip: "You are tied to time constantly at work, leave the watch at home & get away from that for a while". BAD IDEA! One number I found out that trip is that I look at my watch about 350 times a day, literally*. That's almost once every 2 minutes in a 12 hr day, Jeeze! (*I didn't actually count that, I believe the true number would depress me :p )

I also count the number of snails I see. Something that started on my very first backpacking trip (in GSMNP). My son & I started counting them (his first trip too) and I have just continued. So far the most has been 65 in one day.

Doctari.

Mr. Clean
10-05-2005, 05:39

I'm still looking for the three-toed. Your list makes my 120 sound kinda sad. Not sure what my last bird was...it's been a while since I've seen a first.

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 07:54
haha, well consider me a favorite.. because I definitely cut half the handle off my toothbrush.. and my spoon.. that stuff gets heavy man. haha, actually I was always cutting things down because it was something to do I think.. fun times, definitely fun times.
The fun thing here is not that you cut off the handle, its that you know how much the toothbrush weighed before and after you cut the handle off!
Admit it somewhere on your PC there is a spreadsheet which has the weight in grams of every piece of hiking gear you own, and you recite the base weight of your pack for hiking in all 4 seasons, for day trips, weekend trips, and week plus trips from memory!

LOL

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 07:57
Man, but I hate to tell you this, but it's a good bit more.

The standard given number is 3500 calories per pund of fat, but that's low as well. The following numbers are pretty close, to the best of my knowledge.

9.4 calories per gram of fat (the manufacturers round it. Down, duh.)
453.359237 grams in a pound
4261.5768278 calories per pound of fat, as close as I can figure.

That's using the conversion factor of 28.3349523125 grams per ounce.

I think about lots of numbers. Maybe it's a good thing that I'm studying computer programming, eh?

FrankenLooper, the NightWalking numbers geek
My point about hikers being wrapped up in numbers is proven!!!
:dance

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 07:58
I remember one time somebody asked me how long it took me to drive to Damascus from here. I told them 6 beers and 1 and 1/2 bowls!!! Does that count as playin the numbers game, here on this thread!!!
6 beers and 1 and 1/2 bowls while driving????
Where are the cops when we need them????
:datz

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 08:00
By the way I have been known to count steps too, but for me its usually how many steps to the top of this PUD!

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 08:02
Very cool rick!

No entirely inline with the "numbers" thing - but I love counting and taking pictures of interesting dead trees. Somehow in my mind it pays homage to them.

Ok -I will go back to dusting my "dork of the year" awards now...lol
Pictures of dead trees hmmm
and I thought the people who take pictures of privy's were strange!
check out my thread titled Privy Pictures
lol
:clap

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 08:05
that's incredible.. I think the farthest I was ever able to count was like.. 32.. yes, 32.. which, was about a mile for me.. go figure
lets see
10 fingers
10 toes
2 eyes
2 ears
1 mouth
1 nose
2 arms
2 legs
Thats only 30!
where did the other 2 come from?

justusryans
10-05-2005, 08:19
6 beers and 1 and 1/2 bowls while driving????
Where are the cops when we need them????
:datz
Doughnut Shop! :banana

D'Artagnan
10-05-2005, 08:28
I owe a big Mea Culpa on the 3K calories to burn a pound of fat. I should have said 3,500. I present myself for flogging at this time.

Check out www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/fatcalories.HTM (http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/fatcalories.HTM) for the debate over 3,500 versus 4,086 +/-.

Suffice it to say, I still worry a lot about calorie consumption -- no matter the number. As evidence, I submit my confession that I play racquetball like a fiend five days a week to try and burn off the calories I've taken in while not backpacking. Thanks for the correction though. At least this thread isn't chastising people for their choices at the Kennebec.

Traction
10-05-2005, 09:46
where did the other 2 come from?

haha. when I ran out of body parts I counted how many ounces my pack weighed! ;)

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 10:09
I owe a big Mea Culpa on the 3K calories to burn a pound of fat. I should have said 3,500. I present myself for flogging at this time.

Check out www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/fatcalories.HTM (http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/fatcalories.HTM) for the debate over 3,500 versus 4,086 +/-.

Suffice it to say, I still worry a lot about calorie consumption -- no matter the number. As evidence, I submit my confession that I play racquetball like a fiend five days a week to try and burn off the calories I've taken in while not backpacking. Thanks for the correction though. At least this thread isn't chastising people for their choices at the Kennebec.
Not in to chastising anyone here, however if you can quote the temperature depth, and width of the Kennebec as well as the speed at which it flows, then we can have some fun with you because you MIGHT be a numbers obsessed hiker!
:bse

rickb
10-05-2005, 10:26
I am assuming that most everyone has confirmed that the AT really is about 5 Million step long, right? And done so in their head while hiking, of course.

Another thing that I have spent time thining about while hiking is the cost per mile to walk, vs. the cost to drive. I've heard that Warren Doyle hikes in used sneakers at little or no cost per mile, but it costs me something like .015 per ile JUST for shoes.

Of course, you the need to compare the walking cost with that to run a car. Why, I don't know. You just do.

Having an Altimieter watch can create its own preocupation with numbers, but I think thats a good thing. Hard to do math while you are huffing and puffing up a hill. Best jiust to look at your wrist and be gratefull each time the number of feet change. For some reason I tend to count the number of feet I have walked up until I am within 500 feet of the top. Then I will start counting the number of feet left to go.

Alligator
10-05-2005, 10:40
Rick you jogged my memory. I sometimes use the ascent/descent rate on my Suunto to calculate when I will reach the top/bottom. And I run through the barometer logs sometimes. But often I don't even set the altimeter. So much inaccuracy on the maps, I don't feel like the actual elevation is ever much closer than 100 ft or so compared to the watch. Unless you're at a well referenced point and remember to set the watch.

Kerosene
10-05-2005, 10:45
Actually I do math in my head while huffing up a hill; either that or compose an incredible symphony that I can never remember when I get to a piano. In between those thoughts I'm wondering if I have enough water, why does did a new body part just start hurting, will I make it to camp before dark, what's that sound, how many minutes does it take to go a tenth of a mile uphill vs. downhill vs. on-the-level, is that a blister forming, where's the next blaze, that tree is shaped strangely, is this worth a picture, I wonder if that's the water I'm hearing or just the wind in the trees, boy it's hot/cold, man I smell, why did my pack suddenly start squeaking, blah blah blah blah. No wonder I'm so relaxed when I get back to work after a week of this!

Nightwalker
10-05-2005, 11:15
Suffice it to say, I still worry a lot about calorie consumption -- no matter the number. As evidence, I submit my confession that I play racquetball like a fiend five days a week to try and burn off the calories I've taken in while not backpacking.
I joined a gym. I decided that I wanted to up my miles per day on the trail, and the treadmill and stairclimber and werights seemed a good way to make that so.

D'Artagnan
10-05-2005, 11:44
I'm with you there, Nightwalker. I'm trying to improve my overall condition so that the backpacking equation continues to move from a physical obstacle to more of a mental one. Initially for me it was more of a physical hurdle since I had let myself go for a few years. The AT has inspired me to get off my duff and get serious about by health.

BTW, have you tried an elliptical trainer? That thing makes me sweat like a mule. Setting the resistance higher also helps me with my calves. (I hope I haven't strayed too far from the original intent of this thread. ;) ) Man I love Whiteblaze!

Whistler
10-05-2005, 12:13
either that or compose an incredible symphony that I can never remember when I get to a piano.Argh. Definitely know the feeling on that one. I've been thinking it might be worth it to keep a few blank staves with my journal just to capture the odd bit of inspiration. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
-Mark

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 12:33
Argh. Definitely know the feeling on that one. I've been thinking it might be worth it to keep a few blank staves with my journal just to capture the odd bit of inspiration. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
-Mark
Lets get back to the thread here guys!!!
I know you can both tell us exactly how many calories you burn per minute on an eliptical trainer at each intensity level!!
Come clean now we all know that you are numbers obsessed hikers!!!
:bse

Alligator
10-05-2005, 12:42
Lets get back to the thread here guys!!!
I know you can both tell us exactly how many calories you burn per minute on an eliptical trainer at each intensity level!!
Come clean now we all know that you are numbers obsessed hikers!!!
:bse1000 calories, 50 minutes (25 forward, 25 back) level 7, programs 4 & 5.:sun

Gray Blazer
10-05-2005, 12:46
There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.

Footslogger
10-05-2005, 13:15
There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.=======================================
Yeah ...and 5 out of 4 scizophrenics swear they are normal.

'Slogger

justusryans
10-05-2005, 14:45
=======================================
Yeah ...and 5 out of 4 scizophrenics swear they are normal.

'Slogger
Hey, leave us scizophrenics out of this :D

Footslogger
10-05-2005, 14:59
Hey, leave us scizophrenics out of this :D=============================
No offense intended ..."I love me and so do I"

'Slogger

gsingjane
10-05-2005, 15:33
At certain times and on certain hikes, my daughter asks me roughly every 5 minutes what time it is. Usually my response is a very irritated reply of (a) the time and (b) the time since the last request for the time. This is almost always followed by her request to know how many miles it is to the next shelter, snack or stopping place, followed by another irritated reply that I don't know. This is in turn followed by her question as to how many miles we've hiked so far, which is followed once again by the statement that I don't know. This is in turn followed by a suggestion on my part that my daughter hike out ahead of us...out of earshot...

I am thinking very seriously about either giving my daughter my watch for our next hike, or having us both wear one. I'm not sure if I get annoyed because I'm less numbers-obsessed than she is, or at the constant interruptions. It's sort of the hiking-with-kids' version of ARE WE THERE YET?

Jane in CT

Frosty
10-05-2005, 17:35
Admit it somewhere on your PC there is a spreadsheet which has the weight in grams of every piece of hiking gear you ownYou couldn't be more wrong! My Excel spreadsheet, which lists every piece of hiking gear I own as well as typical meals I bring with me, is in OUNCES, not grams. So there!

cakeman21k
10-05-2005, 17:46
You couldn't be more wrong! My Excel spreadsheet, which lists every piece of hiking gear I own as well as typical meals I bring with me, is in OUNCES, not grams. So there!
Is that whole ounces or tenths?
:banana

Frosty
10-05-2005, 19:37
:bananaMy scale measures in eighths of an ounce. Tenths would do equally well. In trying to get a heavy pack down, ounces (and partial ounces) add up rapidly. Not so important when trying to get under 30 pounds without food, but when getting the weight closer to 15 -18 pound range, it gets tougher.

Traction
10-05-2005, 20:11
who needs a pack? be a real hiker and knaw on your arm.. you can wash it down with sweat. Oh, you need a sleeping bag so you don't get cold? Jeez.. give me a break.. it's just a little mind over matter. :jump

Seeker
10-06-2005, 18:15
:banana

mine's in ounces too... tenths, when i can get them.

regarding hiking with kids, i've noticed something... when we go on an overnighter, my 10 year old daughter talks non stop that first day. then, it's like she realizes that nature is trying to get a word in edgewise, and she's often dead quiet from the time she wakes up the next morning, through the entire trip home, and then goes out to her tree house for more silence when we arrive... she told me once a tree told her something, but to this day she won't tell me what it said... i'll have to ask again sometime...

Moxie00
10-06-2005, 20:12
Who gives a rusty ****** about numbers. Carry what you need, hike til you get there. How can you enjoy your hike if all you are doing is counting. Leave math to Mrs's Dibbles Math Class and hike because you enjoy it.

Traction
10-06-2005, 20:48
Who gives a rusty ****** about numbers. Carry what you need, hike til you get there. How can you enjoy your hike if all you are doing is counting. Leave math to Mrs's Dibbles Math Class and hike because you enjoy it.

One time in Mrs. Dibbles class we went on a field trip to the Appalachian trail.

Seeker
10-06-2005, 23:51
i hate numbers... but they do have their uses, and i know my gear weights pretty well. it was only after i laid it all out on a spreadsheet, weighed each and every item to the tenth of an ounce, and started to add it up, that i got my pack down to a manageable level. now that i've got it solved, i care less about them... but caring about them did get me to the point where i had a manageable pack and could enjoy hiking again.

miles, sun height (hours til dark) are useful... but as far as checking a watch, counting steps, hours, trees, privies, rocks, birds, or fenceposts, no, i don't see the need for that... i get enough counting at work...

cakeman21k
10-07-2005, 08:10
miles, sun height (hours til dark) are useful... but as far as checking a watch, counting steps, hours, trees, privies, rocks, birds, or fenceposts, no, i don't see the need for that... i get enough counting at work...
Thats exactly the point of this thread!!!
lets laugh at ourselves for the amount of time and effort we spend being anal about all these numbers! We go out there to relax and enjoy nature but we can't seem to let go of the numbers.
This is all just for fun!

Red Hat
10-07-2005, 11:03
On many tough ups, I would catch myself counting the steps between rests. On Sassafras Mt in GA, it was about 15. As the hike went on I could do more steps before I had to stop. Anyway, counting kept me from cursing and thinking bad thoughts when I was having a rough time.

Other times, I counted things just out of boredom. Hiking alone can drive you almost crazy at times. Cakeman is right, I meant to go out and relax, but sometimes it just didn't happen. Red Hat

Gonzo!
10-07-2005, 15:39
I pretty much only concern myself with one set of numbers - how many breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks I have to buy at the next supply point to get me to the next resupply point. Of course some calculations of how far it is to the next supply point enter into the calculation of those figures.

MoBeach42
10-08-2005, 21:21
I pretty much only concern myself with one set of numbers - how many breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks I have to buy at the next supply point to get me to the next resupply point. Of course some calculations of how far it is to the next supply point enter into the calculation of those figures.
I think that those were the numbers that I used most. There is one number that I like thinking about - it's more of a thought experiment than a practical thing, though. Pound-Miles. Every pound you carry the 2000 miles is the equivalent amount of work it would take to move one ton one mile. F'n Sweet!

titeloops
10-08-2005, 22:48
I do all the numbers the night before. The day is spent hiking at the pace it takes me to go to whatever shelter I chose the night before. So some days its 35 miles and other days its less. That way on the trail you can enjoy whats in front of you instead of trying to do all that math. Also by doing this way you get a pretty good feel for what you can and can't do in a day. Sometimes you make the shelter and others days you pitch the tent. Like they say [some days it's magic and some days it's tragic] but it all good.

Titeloops

squirrel bait
10-09-2005, 00:32
I've got TEN fine toes to wiggle in the sand
LOTS of idle fingers snap to my commands
I've got a lovely PAIR of heels to kick up to the band
If you don't happen to like it Pass me by

Opening song to that old movie Father Goose

Frosty
10-09-2005, 10:05
I've got TEN fine toes to wiggle in the sand
LOTS of idle fingers snap to my commands
I've got a lovely PAIR of heels to kick up to the band
If you don't happen to like it Pass me by

Opening song to that old movie Father GooseYou forgot the shoes that never see a shine and trousers you can hold up with a laundry line :)

POST EDIT: Oh, silly me. You were doing NUMBERS, weren;t you?

Oracle
10-09-2005, 10:18
The only numbers I worry about are the ones that concern my packweight. That way I can make reasonable choices about what to bring and what not to bring, while still being comfortable both when I camp and when I'm carrying that load on my back. If I don't do that, I end up carrying way too much or way too little.

All the other numbers don't really interest me that much. I just keep going until I reach my destination :).

flyfisher
10-10-2005, 11:14
I'm not quite over miles per morning, miles per afternoon, miles per day, miles per week yet. But for the life of me, I can't quite understand why it matters.

I'd rather be interested in people met (not the number of them), moments of enjoyment, and lessons learned.

Red Hat
10-10-2005, 18:30
Reminds me of the morning I got into Franklin NC. I announced to Radio and Krazy Katie that I had done 10 by 12 (10 miles before noon). I was really proud of myself. Sometime later we met again in Hot Springs. They laughed about having done (0 by 12) since they were still in town after 2pm. Great memories!