PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent in rain and snow, and durability?

ShelterLeopard
07-16-2014, 15:29
Hey y'all! I'm looking to buy a new tent for a PCT and an AT thru, so I need something that'll last for a while, and will be good in rain and in snow. How do the tarptents (specifically the two p's, but also the one p's) hold up? They look awesome but I've never used one before. Any advice is appreciated!

ShelterLeopard
07-16-2014, 15:29
(I'm asking because they look almost too good to be true)

Mobius
07-16-2014, 16:18
I've set up, slept, and packed up a Stratospire 2 in the rain. I stayed dry all night (or rather, didn't get any wetter than I already was). Putting wet clothes back on and going back out in the rain made me cranky but that's not the tents fault.

I've never had it in falling snow to answer that bit.

Gambit McCrae
07-16-2014, 16:23
I've set up, slept, and packed up a Stratospire 2 in the rain. I stayed dry all night (or rather, didn't get any wetter than I already was). Putting wet clothes back on and going back out in the rain made me cranky but that's not the tents fault.

I've never had it in falling snow to answer that bit.

I concure with the same tent. As well have had it in snow, did great. declining temps to of course shrink the guylines? so you have to tighten them right before bed to make it super tight again, but not a must do kind of thing. I suggest seam sealing it yoruself instead of getting them to do it. No reason thats just what I did

Venchka
07-16-2014, 17:45
Thanks folks. The SS 2 is looking better and better for Solo and Duo use every time I hear from happy owners. Pitching in the rain is something very few people understand. TT and Hilleberg have the advantage over body first tent pitching.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

garlic08
07-16-2014, 21:04
I've had my TT Contrail on about 7000 miles of long trail hikes, including the CDT and the AT, and one cross country bicycle tour. I found mine very durable for the weight and the price, well under a dollar a night. It's fine for normal three season conditions, including a few inches of snow as one would expect on a long hike.

Praha4
07-16-2014, 22:00
I've used the TT Contrail, Moment, and Notch. All three were good shelters, I would rank them: #1-Notch, #2-Moment, #3-Contrail. Now I use a MLD Cuben Fiber Patrol tarp for most summer section hikes on the AT or LT. But my favorite U/L freestanding double wall shelter is the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 tent. Choosing tents is like shoes or backpacks, you ask the question on WB, you'll get 100 different recommendations from 100 different hikers.

ShelterLeopard
07-17-2014, 07:17
Thanks y'all! I think I'll go with a tarptent, I'm convinced. Now I just have to narrow it down to WHICH tarptent...

garlic08
07-17-2014, 08:47
...Choosing tents is like shoes or backpacks, you ask the question on WB, you'll get 100 different recommendations from 100 different hikers.

Ha! I think the ratio is more like 11 to 10, at least.

Another Kevin
07-17-2014, 17:05
I've had my Notch on snowshoe trips. I don't think I'd trust it to handle a really heavy snow load, but you can make do with a 3-season tent for most winter outings if you're willing to shovel snow in the middle of the night if things get ugly. Tipi Walter would disagree with me, but I'd want a Hilleberg also if I did the things he does. (I don't.)

Firefighter503
07-18-2014, 07:14
I used a TT Contrail in 2011 and had multiple nights in the rain/freezing rain/snow, including about 17-18 hours in it in the Smokies one afternoon/night that was particularly cold/wet. Like someone else mentioned, make sure you tighten all your guy lines again right before bed, and you should have no problems.

q-tip
07-18-2014, 12:54
You might want to treat your aTarptent with spray on Silicone. Increases water relepancy significantly. My TT Contrail is my go to tent with 1500 miles.

Franco
07-18-2014, 18:06
Q Tip
I have posted this several times , so PLEASE take note....

TT changed the type of silnylon we use for the fly over two years ago to a more waterproof (a bit heavier) type.
As much as personally I had very little misting from penetration before (with the original fabric) and that really only happened from big blobs dropping from tree fronds, I haven't had any with the new fabric and have not seen other user reports about that since.
With several thousands of tent sold since then we would know if there was still a problem.

As for groundcloths/footprints, it is a personal choice if using one or not as well as the type.
Read any thread on this (not just TT related...) and you will find several conflicting opinions so there is no point for a manufacturer to add an item that many will not use or like.
franco@tarptent

The Cleaner
07-18-2014, 22:52
I purchased a Moment DW several months ago. The DW only adds a few ounces but I've found it greatly increases problems with draftiness and I'm assuming it would deal with wind blown snow very well and should lessen problems with condensation better too....

Franco
07-19-2014, 03:15
To clarify my previous comment about applying the silicone spray, there is nothing wrong in doing that , however there is no evidence that is needed now with the new fabric.
A few years ago (pre fabric change) I did one for a customer and you can see the result here :

http://youtu.be/GBnkGIz9cco?list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw
the funny bit is that I did not test the tent before so for all I know the reported misting could have been from condensation dislodged by heavy rain, anyway no misting after...

Rocket Jones
07-19-2014, 09:31
I purchased a Moment DW several months ago. The DW only adds a few ounces but I've found it greatly
increases problems with draftiness and I'm assuming it would deal with wind blown snow very well and should lessen problems with condensation better too....

Increases problems with draftiness?