PDA

View Full Version : Lost Coast

PecosBackpacker
10-04-2005, 18:03
Hi everyone
I told you that in March, I was sectioning the PCT in California. Well, plans have changed and we have set it in stone that we are doing the Lost Coast. What will the weather be like then? How do you suggest I pack? Any good sites worth stopping at along the way? What's the scenery like? Any web site I can visit for more information? Thanks in advance.

Big Dawg
10-04-2005, 20:11
Never heard of Lost Coast. :-? Google, here I come......

jlb2012
10-05-2005, 08:00
Hi everyone
I told you that in March, I was sectioning the PCT in California. Well, plans have changed and we have set it in stone that we are doing the Lost Coast. What will the weather be like then? How do you suggest I pack? Any good sites worth stopping at along the way? What's the scenery like? Any web site I can visit for more information? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to a bunch of threads about Lost Coast over on thebackpacker:
http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/index.php?title=lost+coast&age=9999

DMA, 2000
10-06-2005, 03:18
I did it in August. I suspect you may have a lot of rain in March. In fact, the woman who shuttled us from one end to the other will not do shuttles in the winter. For several months, the trail tends to be undoable, as the streams are way too high for fording.

I enjoyed it, though it was tough. Walking on the beach was a bit unpleasant at times...rocky beaches hurt the feet and threatened to break the ankles. And if they were big and too prevalent, walking on them was really slow. Soft sand made for really slow going. Hard, wet sand left one susceptible to waves. During the beach section (and mind you, this was in August) we only had about 4 hours of sun, the rest was a heavy fog. It limited the views, but it also limited the sunburn.

When we got to Shelter Cove, the clouds parted intermittently, and the area where we'd been looked spectacular.

I wouldn't recommend packing anything special, except maybe sunscreen and a bear cannister (required). Oh, don't bother to bring a cell phone...no reception at all. A walkie-talkie or some sort of small radio might be best in case of emergency. You may be able to contact a boat or the Coast Guard or something. Apparently the USCG are the best option for a rescue in that area. And bear in mind that the name is really appropriate, particularly on the northern part of the trail. We barely saw a soul, and you'd likely see a lot less in August.

PecosBackpacker
10-08-2005, 11:05
Ok, so, the way I am seeing things is that is is only going to take a few days to do the Lost Coast. Sounds like I can do it in a weekend. I had planned to take off a week or so. Is there anything else in the area I can hike? Where can I get maps?

DMA, 2000
10-08-2005, 11:59
A weekend? The whole 60 miles? That's a bit ambitious, unless you're in quite good shape. Don't underestimate how much the sand and rocks will slow you down.

This map isn't very good, but it's your best option: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899972039/104-2694543-1503905?v=glance&n=283155

PecosBackpacker
10-08-2005, 12:20
A weekend? The whole 60 miles? That's a bit ambitious, unless you're in quite good shape. Don't underestimate how much the sand and rocks will slow you down.
60 miles? Yeah, not a weekend trip. I thought I read it was like 25 miles (maybe that's each way). Thanks for the help.

DMA, 2000
10-08-2005, 12:44
You know, it's a funny thing. When I was researching the trip, each website that I found seemed to describe only half of the LCT. Some discussed the northern beach half, others discussed the southern non-beach half.

Have you considered transportation? I went to http://www.lostcoasttrail.com/ The price was insane to be transported from one end to the other. $450/trip. Fortunately, my wife and I were on the same shuttle as some other guy, so it was more affordable. But that's like a plane flight accross the country...round trip! Unfortunately, unless you are in a 2-car situation, you are pretty much stuck with that.

PecosBackpacker
10-08-2005, 15:14
Have you considered transportation? I went to http://www.lostcoasttrail.com/ The price was insane to be transported from one end to the other. $450/trip. Fortunately, my wife and I were on the same shuttle as some other guy, so it was more affordable. But that's like a plane flight accross the country...round trip! Unfortunately, unless you are in a 2-car situation, you are pretty much stuck with that.
I have not considered transportation, though from what I hear, it is quite pricey. The girl I am walking with will be driving at one end. We have to work on the other end, though I have a few things in mind.

Tha Wookie
10-10-2005, 03:20
You really should go to www.coastwalk.org (http://www.coastwalk.org) and get the book on the Northern California coastal trail, or you can get the super detailed version in the "humboldt coast hikers' hip-pocket handbook" or something like that. Check out boredfeetpress.com also, they publish books. There is also a very good topo on the lost coast out there.

Hitching is a very good option in the area, except for the north end, where you might have to get something worked out to get you from the Coast back to the 101.

I was just at Shelter Cove two days ago. Beautiful.

DMA, 2000
10-10-2005, 21:17
Lovely, lovely town. My feet were troubling me, so we did a zero there. I'd recommend it. Hell, it enabled us to get a look at the beach we'd just walked along, as the clouds finally parted and the fog lifted.

Bblue
12-03-2005, 00:20
I did the Lost Coast Southern non-beach half last February in 3-4 days. Hit a totally rain free window. This was unusual. Saw only (2) other people the whole time. It was really beautiful along the cliffs and the full moon on the beach, albeit a rather small beach, was fantastic.

I'd pack expecting rain in March. Temps in the 60's during the day. Although it did not rain on us, we had fog all day at least once. Even with sunshine it's some pretty damp conditions.

The road to the southern trailhead is really narrow, but otherwise no problem. Some wild kids did take over the trailhead campground and tear up the meadows with thier pickups our last night out.

liv2play
12-03-2005, 09:22
better bring your 5mil with booties and a hood. Some world class surf bout 8 miles in

Tha Wookie
12-03-2005, 09:28
Here's a picture of me on the lost coast from my REI photo exhibit:

www.thawookie.com/gallery/lostcoast.htm (http://thawookie.com/gallery/lostcoast.htm)

Unbelievable place!

docllamacoy
12-05-2005, 14:55
Doc and I did the Lost Coast Trail the last week of March in 2002. We had fantastic weather with rain only our last night. It took us 5 days to do the whole thing south to north. We drove to the southern terminus (difficult to find the road off of Rt.1; you have to look for a mile marker since it's not marked).
It seems a lot of people we ran into didn't realize that the trail had a southern part; they thought the beach part was the only part. The southern portion is beautful and in the woods above the ocean so it's definitely not to be missed.
We didn't have a map when we started, but got one when we got to the ranger station in Sinkyone State Park after we had almost finished the southern portion. He had a full map for sale for like $10; it also showed the two points along the trail on the beach that can be difficult to get by at high tide.
Our original plan was to hike the whole way to the Mattole River then turn around and go all the way back to our car. Instead we started hitchhiking from the river back south. Not sure I'd recommend it; it took us 12 hours and 7 different hitches just to get back to the road off of Rte. 1 so we had to walk the last 6 miles, I think it was. Long day, but doable if you need to do it. Two cars would definitely be ideal, though.
Oh yeah, the road to the southern terminus isn't in great shape so make sure you don't bring your really nice car down there.
We loved the trail. So beautiful. I would share some pics, but I just realized I don't have any on the computer since I was still using regular film then and never scanned them. Oh well.
Enjoy your hike. You're gonna love it!

Bblue
12-06-2005, 02:33
Here's some pictures from my trip last February. The first shot is of the road into Usal Camp, the southern trailhead.

The beach shot is of camp at the month of Little Jackass Creek, our favorite camp.

The view from the cliff is of Jackass Creek flowing into the sea near Wheeler, an old logging townsite abandoned in the 70's.

The camp with the chiminey is in Wheeler. Not much left.

We encountered quite a few ticks in the grassy hillsides overlooking the ocean. So come prepared for them... Gaiters, long pants and bug spray applied to said clothing should do the trick.

docllamacoy
12-06-2005, 22:31
We encountered quite a few ticks in the grassy hillsides overlooking the ocean. So come prepared for them... Gaiters, long pants and bug spray applied to said clothing should do the trick. Oh yeah, glad you mentioned that. I'd forgotten; we also saw a ton of ticks, and these ones actually hurt when they bite you. Our dog got covered. So definitely be prepared.