PDA

View Full Version : Gear List Review For Section Hike

AO2134
07-16-2014, 22:19
I am going on a section hike. My first section hike. Never camped overnight before where I had to actually bring anything or I should say I had to think about I had to bring. (i.e., a hiking buddy did that for me).

What am I missing? What do I need to add, remove? Section hike will be in Georgia over labor day weekend.

I have my pack, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, MSR pocket rocket with cookset, fuel, rain cover for pack, headnet, platypus (1 and 2 liter), sawyer + aquamira (i like to be safe), bug repellant (i'll carry the extra weight), some paracord, camp shoes, trekking poles, and shoes.

I know I need to get raingear. Jacket? Poncho? Feels like you may be able to actually breathe with poncho vs. rain jacket. Thoughts?

As for hiking shirts: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1732724/tek-gear-performance-tee-men.jsp. What do you guys think? I use them for the gym. Super light and comfortable. I love them.

I plan to just go with regular gym/basketball shorts since it is summer. Should I consider convertible pants secondary to ticks? And treat them of course.

Not going to bring heavy duty warm clothes. It should be plenty warm. Maybe bring mid-layer at most. I sleep/hike hot.

Also plan to get food bag, probably from Z-packs. Hygiene stuff. Toiletries. Gear fix. medical kit. Camp towel. carabiners mainly to make noise so the bears and snakes that don't exist hear me coming.

Any advice on what I am missing?

Thanks All!

Ricky&Jack
07-16-2014, 22:22
I like khaki shorts cause I love the pockets. But gym shorts are fine.

I think its going to rain 7 days in a row from friday-friday here, so you may need to bring extra socks etc.

How many nights you going to be out?

AO2134
07-16-2014, 22:44
I got a feeling you know how many days. . . . lol

Ricky&Jack
07-16-2014, 22:47
the gear is for the Labor Day hike? Not going on any first?

Ricky&Jack
07-16-2014, 22:50
the ear is for the Labor Day hike? Not going on any first?

Walamrt has $10 frog togg jackets. I have a green one. (Make sure you don't get a kids size, since they may be all mixed together)
Maybe a bandana for sweat.

AO2134
07-16-2014, 22:54
I'll have 1 overnight before the labor day, but that will be first section.

Hat/bandana. good call. Completely forgot. I have never been a hat guy so I completely forgot.

Do you have a link for that jacket?

Alligator
07-16-2014, 22:58
Headlamp/light plus something warm in case it is cool at night.

Ricky&Jack
07-16-2014, 22:59
I want to say its this one. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frogg-Toggs-Adult-Ultra-Lite2-Poncho/23554911

It's comfy and only $10. But it doesn't pack down too small.

they should sell these in the camping section (or a row over). You will see them packaged/rolled up so you can tell if it'll fit in your pack well. (But some people just ball it up and store in outside pocket on a pack anyway)

You've been spending a ton on new gear. But this you can just find at walmart for cheap. I would never pay $30 for a rain jacket unless I was ready for a thru-hike. I'm happy with my $10 one

Ricky&Jack
07-16-2014, 23:00
yeah.... a headlamp. You won't need to bring a flashlight then.

Alligator
07-16-2014, 23:02
Spoon and knife.

AO2134
07-16-2014, 23:03
I forgot my headlamp. I have one. . . somewhere. I need to find it. I just reviewed my gear before this post so I need to go find it.

Alligator
07-16-2014, 23:03
Lighter .

Alligator
07-16-2014, 23:04
Socks .

AO2134
07-16-2014, 23:15
Got socks, left off list, but need to get more. I have 1 liner, 1 hiking sock and 1 camp socks. I have 2 liners and 2 hiking socks at least.

Forgot lighter. Thanks.

meat803
07-17-2014, 01:06
Permethrin, dry sack, poncho, 2 pair wool socks, knife, first aid kit to include mole skin etc etc, trash bag, bear bag, toilet paper, trowel, camp towel, fire starter, headlamp, spoon, toothbrush, duct tape, camera, phone, cheap compass possibly........just off the top of my head

Ricky&Jack
07-17-2014, 01:16
yeah, toilet paper or baby wipes

linus72
07-17-2014, 09:55
sunblock too - don't underestimate the sun, even in the woods

swisscross
07-17-2014, 11:30
fork, cutting board, cast iron skillet, pillow, chair, table, generator, bow and arrows, corn hole or horse shoes, solar shower, etc.

Ricky&Jack
07-17-2014, 12:16
fork, cutting board, cast iron skillet, pillow, chair, table, generator, bow and arrows, corn hole or horse shoes, solar shower, etc.

Don't forget a mountain bike.

Hiking is for *******.

mattjv89
07-17-2014, 16:39
I know I need to get raingear. Jacket? Poncho? Feels like you may be able to actually breathe with poncho vs. rain jacket. Thoughts?

The raingear question, seems like there are as many answers to this as minutes in the day. I personally use an eVent rain shell and find it quite breathable, the only times I've built up any kind of sweat in it have been when it's so warm outside that I'd rather just hike with no raingear and get soaked. eVent usually commands a higher price than gore-tex products but if you can wait a bit and watch for sales you may be able to score a deal. I got mine for $90 down from $240 on a discontinued sale, didn't have a color choice but for that kind of discount I couldn't care less. That's my take, there are plenty of folks on here who swear by ponchos and could steer you towards good options.

As for hiking shirts: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1732724/tek-gear-performance-tee-men.jsp. What do you guys think? I use them for the gym. Super light and comfortable. I love them.

The pros and cons of that shirt will be the same as all the other 100% polyester products. Very affordable vs. other wicking fabrics and I experience them as pretty comfortable. The big disadvantage is the smell, oh my god do they ever stink after a short amount of hiking. I wear one out for a weekend trip and by the time I get home I'm about as rank smelling as the thru hikers I run into. Merino wool reportedly stinks a lot less but a comparable shirt to that will easily be $70 off sale.

I plan to just go with regular gym/basketball shorts since it is summer. Should I consider convertible pants secondary to ticks? And treat them of course.

I'm a huge fan of convertible pants year round both for mosquitoes and because here in the Green Mountains it can get chilly enough for long pants just about any time of year. That may not be the case where you're hiking.

rocketsocks
07-18-2014, 20:50
Headlamp/light plus something warm in case it is cool at night.

Spoon and knife.

Lighter .

Socks .
Alligator, what are you tryin' to increase your post count, it looks like something I'd write, hehe :D
...and have.