PDA

View Full Version : Pro Freeze-Drying Foods

MJGreen
07-17-2014, 11:29
Hi everyone, I know that there are several threads talking about dehydrating and freeze-dried foods but here's my situation: I work in a lab and have easy access to both liquid nitrogen and a nice lyophilizer. I was wondering what freeze-dried meals people have had that were pretty good (either from bought packages or home-made). I know some of the basic meals I could do (mostly just pasta and jerky, actually) but does anyone have any suggestions of snacks or whole meals that might be good to try, maybe something they really wish companies would sell?

MJGreen
07-17-2014, 11:32
Also, how about fruits? The only thing I could think of is strawberries and bananas for oatmeal but I have no idea how often I'd actually eat oatmeal.

The Old Boot
07-17-2014, 12:12
Also, how about fruits? The only thing I could think of is strawberries and bananas for oatmeal but I have no idea how often I'd actually eat oatmeal.

Instead of oatmeal, I pack Cream of Wheat and add fruit to it. Another alternative is granola and add fruit.

I also have a recipe from BackpackingChef.com for Sweet Potato Bark Porridge that's darn good.

Venchka
07-17-2014, 14:13
Add blueberries & apples to the list of freeze-dried fruits. Very tasty and very good for you. Craisens, dried cranberries, aren't freeze-dried, but very tasty in oatmeal along with blueberries.
Instant or fast cooking oatmeal, grits and Cream Of Wheat are trail staples. Add bacon, fruit, butter, nut butter, agave, etc. It's easy to get a ton of quick and easy calories.

Wayne

Farr Away
07-18-2014, 07:22
Some of the freeze dried fruits are good just to nibble on. Freeze dried corn is kind of like popcorn.

-FA

Damn Yankee
07-18-2014, 08:01
I had some granola, blueberries and milk last weekend that was awesome. Fruit of any kind make great snacks.

MJGreen
07-18-2014, 10:57
Thanks for all the great suggestions, I can't wait to get started! I'm gonna freeze dry a ton of fresh fruit to keep in a bounce box. Now to decide whether to make whole meals or a butt-load of individual ingredients and just wing it on the trail...

Feral Bill
07-18-2014, 11:12
I expect your challenge will be packaging your foods, after
freeze drying. The commercial ones are very carefully packed to exclude air and moisture.

MJGreen
07-18-2014, 11:41
Got it covered with a vacuum sealer.