PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of KSC

FarmerChef
07-17-2014, 11:48
Starting our 3 week hike to finish Maine in just a couple of weeks and looking to hit the Big K around the week of the 18th. We're hiking with a dog and plan to kennel her at Abol Bridge with Connie. My question to my esteemed Whiteblazer friends is the best way to get out of the park. Details, there will be 5 of us (2 adults and 3 children) and in the past I've had a challenging time getting a hitch. I've though about splitting into two groups so it doesn't look as intimidating to passersby but still a bit worried about making sure two groups of 2 and 3 respectively can grab a hitch. My parents will be in the area and able to pick us up and if that works it looks as though the easiest place is to pull into KSC, paying the non-resident use-the-road fee. We plan to stay at the birches the night before we summit so it's not out of the question to road walk a bit to an easier access point if need be.

What are your suggestions and hints? As always, your input is much appreciated.

FarmerChef
07-17-2014, 22:04
Chirp, chirp. If nothing else, all I'm looking for is a confirmation that I've got the right idea.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-17-2014, 22:09
You could ask Ed and I to come get you :)

peakbagger
07-18-2014, 07:43
Technically, your parents driving in using the road fee is an issue unless they also are able to buy a day use parking permit to park at the Katahdin trailhead you are planning to hike back down to. There is very limited parking at KSC normally and with Abol trail being closed, it funnels even more traffic to KSC. The rangers reportedly have enforced this previously at KSC for parties picking up AT hikers, but I believe the reported event was that the individuals picking up the hikers were setting up a celebration party at KSC rather than just doing a pickup. My observations in the past is that the rangers monitor the lot in the AM when the day hikers are arriving but later in the day they don't pay much attention to it.

FarmerChef
07-18-2014, 10:39
You could ask Ed and I to come get you :)

You're the best Teacher! I think my folks got this but they are not the take-their-chances-come-as-it-may type like we are so I'm a little leery of sending them into a situation without at least some foreknowledge of what to expect ;) I would trust you guys no problem.

FarmerChef
07-18-2014, 10:40
Technically, your parents driving in using the road fee is an issue unless they also are able to buy a day use parking permit to park at the Katahdin trailhead you are planning to hike back down to. There is very limited parking at KSC normally and with Abol trail being closed, it funnels even more traffic to KSC. The rangers reportedly have enforced this previously at KSC for parties picking up AT hikers, but I believe the reported event was that the individuals picking up the hikers were setting up a celebration party at KSC rather than just doing a pickup. My observations in the past is that the rangers monitor the lot in the AM when the day hikers are arriving but later in the day they don't pay much attention to it.

I remember hearing something about that to and, like you, PB, recall that it was due to the party picking up the hiker(s) trying to set up a party in the parking lot. I would just be looking or my folks to drive in on the road or all the way to KSC with us waiting to hop right in (not arriving and waiting for us). If there was a pull off spot maybe a half mile outside KSC that we could road walk to that would be an option.

Just Bill
07-18-2014, 13:39
FarmerChef-
Been awhile so excuse the fuzziness of the details-
Did you secure a permit for the campsite? If so doesn't that entitle you to a parking spot? Could not said spot then be used by the folks? Might still owe a vehicle fee, but tied to the campsite then they have a right to be there.

FarmerChef
07-18-2014, 14:46
FarmerChef-
Been awhile so excuse the fuzziness of the details-
Did you secure a permit for the campsite? If so doesn't that entitle you to a parking spot? Could not said spot then be used by the folks? Might still owe a vehicle fee, but tied to the campsite then they have a right to be there.

Hey JB - thanks for chiming in. It's my understanding per the guide that the Birches has space without a res for long distance hikers (those hiking at least the 100MW to get to that point - we're starting in the Whites so qualify under that rule). So I wasn't planning on making a res but if folks think that is too risky this time of year I'm certainly open to suggestions.

putts
07-18-2014, 15:17
It may be worth the peace of mind to make the day use parking reservation. It could also reduce possible frustrations of your group, your parents and park rangers. If you decide that's not the way to go then I would tell your parents to plan on doing a quick pick up and to be on the lookout for you. This means not parking in a lot, but just cruising on the tote rd. until they see you. In other words estimate when you think you'll be done hiking and have them drive by KSC around that time. If you're not there, keep driving, take pictures, be a tourist etc., and then check back a half hour or so later. continue as needed. When the Rangers at BSP entrance ask them what their plans are, where they plan to park, it is perfectly acceptable to say they are just planning a sightseeing drive on the tote road, and are not planning on using any trailhead parking, as long as they aren't planning on using any trailhead parking. People drive the tote road all the time to sightsee from their car, especially during leaf peeper season.

FarmerChef
07-18-2014, 17:30
It may be worth the peace of mind to make the day use parking reservation. It could also reduce possible frustrations of your group, your parents and park rangers. If you decide that's not the way to go then I would tell your parents to plan on doing a quick pick up and to be on the lookout for you. This means not parking in a lot, but just cruising on the tote rd. until they see you. In other words estimate when you think you'll be done hiking and have them drive by KSC around that time. If you're not there, keep driving, take pictures, be a tourist etc., and then check back a half hour or so later. continue as needed. When the Rangers at BSP entrance ask them what their plans are, where they plan to park, it is perfectly acceptable to say they are just planning a sightseeing drive on the tote road, and are not planning on using any trailhead parking, as long as they aren't planning on using any trailhead parking. People drive the tote road all the time to sightsee from their car, especially during leaf peeper season.

Ahhh. That's a good idea. I figured it was too late to get a day use res this close to the time of use but I will call the ranger's office and see if there's availability. It was my understanding though that to use the parking pass you had to show up at something like 5:30am or they gave it away to first come-first served? Still, a call to the office should sort that one out. Thanks, putts.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-18-2014, 18:52
Ok, you've got me confused with all this reservation stuff. Since when is it hard to get in and out of a Kentucky Fried Chicken?

......................sorry, I was channeling RS there :D

oops, my apologies to the moderator...just noticed "straight forward" delete away!

FarmerChef
07-20-2014, 21:05
Update: Called the BSP Ranger's office and the VERY friendly gal on the other end of the phone informed me that it would be perfectly fine for my folks to buy a day use permit and drive in to pick us up in the afternoon. The parking pass is not required and they do not have to show up at 5:30 or lose their spot. This will be very convenient for a pickup without having to hike out of the park or try to hitch a family of 5 :) Should be a great hike. Thanks to all for your input.

flemdawg1
07-28-2014, 17:30
Ok, you've got me confused with all this reservation stuff. Since when is it hard to get in and out of a Kentucky Fried Chicken?

......................sorry, I was channeling RS there :D

oops, my apologies to the moderator...just noticed "straight forward" delete away!

KSC=Kennedy Space Center They won't let just anyone take a rocket you know.