PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Bivy Sack

Trail Dog
01-14-2003, 19:58
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.88965/str_base_no.88341,88405,88413,88416,88945,88947,88 948,88965,88968,88969,/header_title./page_name.prod_list_display.asp/search_type.L2%7E322/size1./size2./gender.0/ShowImages.yes/sq.20/cont.1/sqlSearchStr./intPgNo.2/special_type./qx/product.htm

wow the address is longer than i thought. so what do you guys think to buy or not to buy? I want to do without a tent, seems like a waste to bring one on a solo trip

thanks in advance

Minerva
01-14-2003, 20:15
Put the $180 towards a bivy you can sit up in like the 2-4-2 from www.wanderlustgear, about the same weight, but slightly more $$ and well worth every penny.
Cin

Trail Dog
01-14-2003, 20:25
do you really think i would need a 2-4-2 as opposed to just a nomad lite?

Minerva
01-14-2003, 20:31
I have one of Kurt's original Nomads(1999 model). The single person would be just fine for a soloist. Ask around on the different trail lists and I bet you could find one "slightly" pre-owned for about the same price as this North Face bivy.

I've seen and slept in a 2-4-2, and I like the rectangular footing. It is very spacious. If I didn't already own a Stephenson I'd seriously consider the 2-4-2.

Cin

Moose2001
01-15-2003, 08:21
T.D. don't know how you sleep but I seriously looked at this "sytle" of bivy. I found one (Eureaka Gossamer) setup in an an outfitters and slide into it. Man, it was just like being in a coffin. There was no way I could sleep in the thing. Plus, they are really small. If you hit a stretch of bad weather, I'd hate to think about being stuck in one for a couple of days. Also, they are so small you can't change clothes or do much of anything in them. If you're serious about this style though, I'd look around some more. You can find similar tents cheaper than the N.F.

I also noticed this N.F. uses a Gortex roof. Don't know about you but I've never seen Gortex that wouldn't eventually "wet out" if it was exposed enough to rain. I'd be afraid the roof would wet out and start to leak.

ez-does-it
01-15-2003, 11:37
Trail Dog
Go for the Nomad-Lite I have one which was made for me in 01 and have used it for my 01 and 02 thrus and will use it again this year for my thrid thru.
Love the tent and you can't find a nicer guy then Kurt Russell the owner of Wanderlust.
My tent shows no sign of wear or tear.
i hope this will help you out some what.:)

Blue Jay
01-15-2003, 14:51
Bivys are great if you don't naturally produce a lot of heat. If you do, it is impossible to keep them dry inside day after day. I use one for overnights, and it's great. The other drawback is they are very claustraphobia inducing (as has already been mentioned). They are for sleeping and NOTHING else. If you go out off season and mostly use the shelters, they work fine, but it's a gamble. The second night in a row, you're screwed.

PushingDaisies
01-15-2003, 17:22
Either the Nomad or the 2-4-2 are good choices as they weigh about the same.

If you think you will ever have a hiking partner, I would spend the extra money and get the 2-4-2. This way, you don't have to keep buying tents for different situations.

MedicineMan
01-17-2003, 00:56
I carry a bivy. well actually the BivAnorak by Hilleberg on day hikes just to have some just-in-case shelter and have done one overnighter into the Grand Canyon with a true bivy bag--it sucked, never again unless it is life or death. There are just too many other optios like the Nomad listed above or even a tube tent like the sil-nyl one Moonbowgear can make for you (12 oz. with bug netting on the ends). For solo I use a Hilleberg Akto I have down to 2.5 pounds (fiber pole and tit. stakes, and removed metal zipper pulls for triptease)...bivies also get 'pinged' in the rain and to me it felt like the rain was actually hitting me-not pleasant.
worst comes to worse get a Golite Den...we used one this weekend, got it on sale for cheap at a local dealer and actually enjoyed it and was very very impressed with its stability in 20-30mph winds.