PDA

View Full Version : Glassmine gap to NOC with 8 year old????

saltysack
07-18-2014, 11:21
I'm wanting to start taking my 8 year old on hikes with me and my dog. I want to do section from glassmine gap to NOC....he's full of energy and will keep his pack weight very light...how is terrain and difficulty of this section? I plan on 8-10 mile days according to how he feels..any advice would be appreciated..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flemdawg1
07-18-2014, 11:42
Does he hike well on daytrips? I took 3 girls from kimsey creek trail to Glassmine 3 years ago (ages 5, 7, and 11) in the fall. It was not completely without tears, but overall a great trip. My wife and I had more trouble with the terrain than the kids, they loved the scrambling up Albert Mtn. There is a short section of steep terrain going down to NOC. But overall it shouldn't be bad at all.

saltysack
07-18-2014, 11:53
Thx...I've done standing indian loop 3 times and love it but....ready for new scenery... I haven't had him on many hikes as living in Florida I can't seem to get into hiking here in the flatland....he is full of piss and vinegar as he's alot like my jack Russell who loves to hike....I figured I'd bring lots of sugar to keep him charged and build a fire in evening to entertain him...

HooKooDooKu
07-18-2014, 11:55
Has your 8yo done any hiking with you yet?
If not, then I would suggest much shorter hikes just to get things started and see how he does.

I would recommend you start with a two night hike where you limit the days to 5-6 miles. (I can suggest several hikes around GSMNP)
Then once you've had the opportunity to gauge his abilities, then start extending the hikes to 8-10 mile days.

There's no reason an 8yo can not do 8-10 mile hikes. Just a few weeks ago, I took my 8yo on a two night hike where the 1st day consisted of 11 miles total and included a combined total of a 2,000' decent plus a 3,000' accent. But that's an experienced 8yo who has already worked up to things like hiking the Grand Canyon from the South Rim, camping at Bright Angle Campground at the bottom of the canyon, and returning to the South Rim the next day.

saltysack
07-18-2014, 12:26
Thx.....guess I'm selfish since only get on trail few times per year really wanted to do larger section...I'll check on bail out spots before we go.