PDA

View Full Version : KickStarter Project: Thru-Hike the Appalachian Trail Game

Ricky&Jack
07-18-2014, 14:40
Saw this today. Goal was $10,000 but now it's raised $12,000 in only a few days.

Pledge $20 and you get the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/77420923/thru-hike-the-appalachian-trail-game

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b607/Ricky_Sanftner/10db64dbd18a3c18bd0458e14f7f62d1_large_zps9fa553d8 .png (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Ricky_Sanftner/media/10db64dbd18a3c18bd0458e14f7f62d1_large_zps9fa553d8 .png.html)

Ricky&Jack
07-18-2014, 14:47
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b607/Ricky_Sanftner/0f86a3684f32aa1b699bc72b9c37c3b3_large_zpse858c0b4 .jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Ricky_Sanftner/media/0f86a3684f32aa1b699bc72b9c37c3b3_large_zpse858c0b4 .jpg.html)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-18-2014, 16:30
Wow I wish I were rich sometimes....

Slo-go'en
07-18-2014, 16:33
Wow, some people will buy anything...

Ricky&Jack
07-18-2014, 16:38
for $20 its not bad to give to someone such as your kid, who you plan to section the A.T. with.

Plus, it'll help you identify the plants, animals etc that you will encounter on the A.T.

Now you won't wipe with Poison Ivy or kiss a copperhead.

magneto
07-18-2014, 17:49
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b607/Ricky_Sanftner/0f86a3684f32aa1b699bc72b9c37c3b3_large_zpse858c0b4 .jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Ricky_Sanftner/media/0f86a3684f32aa1b699bc72b9c37c3b3_large_zpse858c0b4 .jpg.html)

Please tell me this is someone's idea of a joke.

Ricky&Jack
07-18-2014, 18:02
Please tell me this is someone's idea of a joke.

nope. they raised $12,000 in just a few days.

kolokolo
07-18-2014, 18:04
Personally, I'd rather hike than play a hiking game, but I think it's a great concept and very creative. The design and promotion look pretty impressive.

magneto
07-18-2014, 18:04
Not the game, what I mean is, it's enough Jennifer Pharr Davis already. Burned out of hearing about her exploits.

WingedMonkey
07-18-2014, 18:30
I applied for a small ATC grant to do the initial design of the game and over the last 2 years I have worked with an amazing team to design and produce the prototype. HUGE thanks to everyone at the ATC for all their help!

Who made this decision?

Teacher & Snacktime
07-18-2014, 18:46
nope. they raised $12,000 in just a few days.

I have to assume a good portion of the proceeds benefit the ATC, as there's a decent add in the July/Aug Journeys for this game. They've already achieved their startup costs, and it's deductible....so what's the big deal about $20 to the ATC and getting a cool game? I'm a fan.

Ricky&Jack
07-18-2014, 20:06
Id buy it if I saw it in a store.

But basically cause I'd be interested in the flash cards, so I can memorize the plants, birds, insects etc along the A.T. so I could have fun identifying them in person.

Lone Wolf
07-18-2014, 20:09
i'm surprised Jennifer would do this

Ricky&Jack
07-18-2014, 20:18
She's still showing up and doing events. She was here in Chattanooga recently.

Is she also a member here?

July
07-18-2014, 20:19
i'm surprised Jennifer would do this

My thoughts exactly

rocketsocks
07-18-2014, 20:21
My first thoughts when I saw this was cool, I love card games, my second was how exploited the trail has become.

jenpharr
07-18-2014, 22:57
I have met the creators of the game and I played an advanced copy. I think it is a great tool to get kids and families interested in the A.T. The creators are gifting copious board games to the Trails to Every Classroom initiative. They asked if they could contract with my company to provide hikes/overnights for some of the larger donors. They are paying the same rate as any other client who might use Blue Ridge Hiking Company - our guides, permits, and insurance. Our fee is a tiny fraction of the donation amount and our services provide another tangible way to get people outdoors. And yes, I am on whiteblaze.

AfghanVet
07-19-2014, 00:00
Now I bet some people wish they hadn't said a thing or two lol I can see th benefits of this and I can see why some might see negatives.

rocketsocks
07-19-2014, 02:28
My first thoughts when I saw this was cool, I love card games, my second was how exploited the trail has become.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's how I feel. This is but one website.

http://www.cafepress.com/+appalachian-trail+t-shirts?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=domestic%20places%20apparel%20-%20us&utm_content=search-b&utm_term=appalachian%20trail-t-shirts

Unique Appalachian Trail T-Shirt DesignsFind Appalachian Trail T shirts for everyone (including yourself). Shop for popular Appalachian Trail designs in our marketplace, or customize and personalize one yourself! We have a huge selection of unique, Appalachian Trail tees (we're talking about millions of cool-looking designs printed on T-shirts for women, men and children). With so many, it's simple to find that one-of-a-kind tee that expresses your personality. We have shirts in different styles, color, and sizes. Find your favorite design on Organic, Classic, and V-neck tees. There is no minimum order size and our products have fast shipping. Can't find the perfect Appalachian Trail shirt? It is easy to customize and design your own custom Appalachian Trail shirts at CafePress! Simply add text and images with our easy online designer. Create your own Appalachian Trail T Shirt now at CafePress! (http://www.cafepress.com/+appalachian-trail+t-shirts?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=domestic%20places%20apparel%20-%20us&utm_content=search-b&utm_term=appalachian%20trail-t-shirts)
"

Showing: 1 – 28 of 311 Appalachian Trail T-shirts designs available on 6,950 products

rocketsocks
07-19-2014, 02:47
Marketers love when folks have an emotional attachment to their products, it's a guaranteed sale, and business 101
call it what ever you like, the motives don't play into this, it is exploitation, that cannot be denied.

Understand, I could care less, I have t-shirts, key fobs, coffee mugs and more, of places I've been. My observation remains the same...the trail has become big business.

rocketsocks
07-19-2014, 02:54
...this may feel like a belabored point, posting several times...it's only cause I am in the rears on my white blaze dues, and cannot edit.

ex·ploit
/ˈekˌsploit/
verb

make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

synonyms:
utilize (http://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=define+utilize&v_t=comsearch), harness (http://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=define+harness&v_t=comsearch), use (http://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=define+use&v_t=comsearch), make use of, turn/put to good use, make the most of, capitalize on, benefit from, cash in on

magneto
07-19-2014, 05:55
Right. So if people are willing to pay $100K to a guide to attempt to summit Everest, why not the Blue Ridge Mountains too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perrymk
07-19-2014, 06:26
I can't say I have strong feelings one way or the other about how people choose to spend their own money, but I have a question to clarify the situation in my own mind.

It appears the $20 is to help someone launch a business and not a charitable donation in the legal, tax deductible sense. That's not good or bad, it's just me clarifying what I understand. If I am incorrect, please correct me. I realize that a cause doesn't have to be government recognized, tax deductible to be a good, legitimate cause. Also, I saw nothing on the flier posted here that the $2500 was anything other than helping the business. But some comments were made that may indicate the $2500 may benefit the ATC, a 501c3 organization, meaning it is a charity in the legal, tax deductible sense.

Is the $2500 a tax deductible, charitable gift, or is it in the same category as the $20, simply a good deed to help someone launch a business?

magneto
07-19-2014, 06:31
Even If the organization is a 501(c)3, and the item is offered as part of a donation, you can only deduct the portion that represents the retail value of the item you are getting, which in this case would be the normal guiding fees the company charges, probably a lot less than $2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
07-19-2014, 13:22
While I think the topic of exploitation of the Appalachian Trail is one that could be civilly discussed here. That topic should not single out any one individual, idea, or entity. There is much that ails the trail, it does not begin nor end with any one person, we all as hikers exploit it's givings, it's important to remember that.

Jen- my comment was not meant to disparage you personally, it was just a general statement of an observation I've noticed over the last several years. Some song lyrics I wrote a couple years ago may give you some insight into my thinking. :)

In the shelter where I lay http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/cms/edit_small.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/blog_post.php?do=editblog&b=8172)Rate this Entry

0 Comments (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?8172-In-the-shelter-where-I-lay#comments)
by rocketsocks (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?37406-rocketsocks)
, Today at 11:03 (3 Views)

Some song lyrics I started writtin' a couple years ago that keeps comin back to me and wont go away....a work in progress if you will.

Not goin' to get somewhere, not goin' to get away
not a calling that's been calling me or a roll I had to play.
it's just a trail that's deep in the woods, and happens to be on my way.
I'll dream of you each night my love in the shelter where I lay.

In the shelter where I lay, in the shelter where I stay
I'll dream of you each night my love, in the shelter where I lay

Some come for riches, and some come to play
some come to find themselves, while others come to stay
It's rainin' now and the sun don't shine, my thoughts are all for you
and how one day I'll stray your way on the trail that leads to you

In the shelter where I lay, in the shelter where I stay
I'll dream of you each night my love, in the shelter where I lay

Teacher & Snacktime
07-19-2014, 13:40
RS that's wonderful! Now, explain to me why this never made it to the Creative Corner?

Is the trail exploited? Not by these fundraisers, I don't think. This is a way for the ATC to collect funds for the purpose of maintaining that which we hold so dear. Thank you, Jen for doing your part to preserve the trail.

rocketsocks
07-19-2014, 15:25
RS that's wonderful! Now, explain to me why this never made it to the Creative Corner?

Hmm, not sure, it was in a journal I had goin at one time, I prolly didn't re-post it cause it was mostly for me, but today it just seemed fitting.

Odd Man Out
07-19-2014, 15:29
I saw JPD in GR MI on Thursday. She gave a talk at the GR Public Library and then sold and signed copies of her books, as many authors do on book tours. I enjoyed the talk. Talked to her one-on-one briefly. Her little girl is too cute for words.

likeahike
07-19-2014, 15:31
Is the $2500 a tax deductible, charitable gift, or is it in the same category as the $20, simply a good deed to help someone launch a business?
Something tells me if the business did indeed gift the ATC, the business itself would take whatever deduction is allowed.

likeahike
07-19-2014, 15:37
I saw JPD in GR MI on Thursday. She gave a talk at the GR Public Library and then sold and signed copies of her books, as many authors do on book tours. I enjoyed the talk. Talked to her one-on-one briefly. Her little girl is too cute for words.
JPD was never really on my radar, but I have to give her props on one thing. She sure has capitalism figured out.

shelb
07-19-2014, 20:16
Considering that a Monopoly game is $17.99 on Amazon, paying $20 for one of these does not appear unreasonable - at least to me....

Rick&Jack - Thanks for sharing this! I am glad I was able to get in on it!

JumpMaster Blaster
07-19-2014, 20:18

We're in the digital age. Nothing is safe when one person can reach millions around the globe in seconds.

rocketsocks
07-19-2014, 22:39
We're in the digital age. Nothing is safe when one person can reach millions around the globe in seconds.
Aye, it's a brave new world.

bshow
07-21-2014, 06:55
What they don't tell you is that the day hike with Jennifer is 45 miles! :)

RED-DOG
07-21-2014, 10:05
OH not this CRAP again, these people needs to learn if they want to hike the AT they need to get a job, cause all they are trying to do is get some one else to fund their thru-hike, Didn't we go through this last year.

MHanf
07-25-2014, 12:16
Hi everyone,

My name is Mark Hanf and I am the designer of Thru Hike: The Appalachian Trail Board Game. I just wanted to jump in on this conversation to clarify some things that seem to be taken out of context and share our vision for this project.

First of all I want to give a sense of who I am and the passion that I am bringing to this game. I am a parent, a teacher, an Eagle scout and an avid long distance hiker. I have hiked across Spain on the Camino de Santiago and done hundreds of miles on the AT (I live in Hot Springs). A Thru-Hike is definitely on my to-do list, but with a 6 year old, it is difficult to find the time. Someday we will do it together! :) I live in an off-grid, passive solar home built from recycled materials and I teach sustainable design and the geometry that exists in nature. I LOVE the AT and the mountains and forests that it traverses.

The inspiration for this game came about 2 years ago when I was on a solo from Max Patch to Hot Springs. I went to the trail for some personal direction as I was working through a difficult time in my life. Hiking, as you know, is good medicine! I came across a shelter that had been completely trashed by a grandmother and grandson on the trail. They were obviously novice hikers, but it was hard not to be frustrated by watching them burn plastic, throw food in the woods, and leave trash all over the shelter. The woman was injured so I helped her arrange medical support at the next road crossing and then bagged up all their trash and packed it out. As I was walking I realized that I took for granted all the No Trace Camping ethics that I was taught in Boy Scouts. Not everyone is lucky enough to have great teachers as a kid and I couldn't really get mad with someone who doesn't know better.

As I sat on Bluff Mountain, the idea flooded in all at once that I could create a game that taught best practices while on the trail! It could be really fun and families, scout troops, classrooms, etc. could play and learn at the same time. (Low impact camping, first aid, plant and animal ID, backpacking skills, etc.) This could not be farther from exploitation! It is about education and conservation! :)

The ATC has been an amazing partner on this from the start! HUGE thanks to all the people there who have supported this project. When the game comes out in stores, 5% of each sale will go to conservation efforts and educational programs. Kickstarter does not allow funds to be raised for non-profits so the funds raised during the Kickstarter campaign will go to producing and expanding the game. (We want to make expansion sets with themes like birds, ultralight tips, environmental science, etc.) Every dollar goes back into the game. We are a very new and small company in Marshall, NC (pop. 857) and the success of this campaign is critical to us being able to produce the game.

We are SO thankful that Jennifer Pharr Davis has helped to promote and share this project! She is not only an inspiring athlete, she is a REALLY nice woman who has been extremely generous with her time. Her willingness to work with us on this game is deeply appreciated on many levels. We just met with Girl Scout Council leaders in Virginia and they said that Jennifer's story was empowering to young girls to get out and hike. The syncronicity that surrounds how I met Jennifer is amazing! The day that I got the prototype cards in the mail, I played the game for the first time with my high school students. They asked how long it took to hike the AT. I talked about section hiking, thru-hiking, weather and pacing and I mentioned Jennifer's 46 day hike. That afternoon I happened to run into her in the grocery store! I had never met her before and just recognized her picture from her website that I saw 6 months earlier! Meant to be!!! Again, I'm thankful for how this all has worked out and thankful for her support!

I encourage the readers of this thread to visit the Kickstarter site and watch the video. The end is funny! My partners put in some outtakes of me :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/77420923/thru-hike-the-appalachian-trail-game?ref=home_location

This project could be a real benefit to the AT community in several ways. It teaches and promotes best practices while on the trail. It is fun! We also want to get suggestions for new cards from hikers like YOU! If we use your ideas, we will print your name on the card! Please email any ideas to [email protected] We want to engage the community of families, hikers, teachers, and scouts that love the AT to expand and enhance the game!

Thanks everyone. Hope this helps!!!

MHanf
07-25-2014, 12:19
Hi, this is Mark the game designer. Just posted a comment that you might check out. :)

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 12:46
I think the people int he forum are more in the "if you want to learn about the trail, then just go hike it" mood.....

I think they aren't looking at it with "Hey, this would be a quick fun way for kids and new hikers to learn about safety/danger on the trail when they are still at home and don't have every day access to the trail"

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 12:50
I think the thing that stings the most with this is the rewards with Jenn.

It's not necessarily a jealous thing. It's more that she kinda became a stain on the trail community, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. She seems to exploit it even though she still brings good to it.

Like someone mentioned before. She sure has figured capitalism out.

rocketsocks
07-25-2014, 12:52
Mark, I appreciate your comments, and I did check out your bio and videos (after I posted my first comment) when the thread first started. Not sure how we got here but for my comment about exploitation, and while I still feel that statement is true to a large degree, it was not said to degrade your product or venture. Looking at this further I think the product will bring awareness to the trails plights and wonders, and while having the AT name on it is a good thing in this instance many times I think using the trails name on say a diaper bag and the like for instance is not only in bad taste, but utter ridiculousness and exploitation to sell products.

I love the idea of flash cards and have several decks of "how to's" type things, knots, navigation, animals...my kids loved em, and loved em growing up. Good luck with the project, I sent in a suggestion the other day for the on going card expansion...great idea by the way. Regards "Socks"

"Rocketsocks" Says "For an up close look at all the trail has to offer, slow your stroll and take a Nero...you won't regret it"

Teacher & Snacktime
07-25-2014, 13:06
OH not this CRAP again, these people needs to learn if they want to hike the AT they need to get a job, cause all they are trying to do is get some one else to fund their thru-hike, Didn't we go through this last year.

Reread the OP.....no hike involved.

It is this sort of uninformed attack that gives WB a bad name in the online community.

tagg
07-25-2014, 13:19
It's more that she kinda became a stain on the trail community. She seems to exploit it and bring no good to it.

... for us hikers, we see jennifer pharr davis as that person who we are mostly tired of hearing about.

That's neither fair nor accurate. Speak for yourself, dude.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-25-2014, 13:22

+1 Ricky, on behalf of almost every hiker I've ever encountered, you've got this one completely wrong. She's the trail's sweetheart, and hugely respected.

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 13:23

I was quoting someone word-for-word after I posted in a thread when i met her.

I liked meeting her. But several members got onto me for bragging about it.

That was a quote from another member and backed up by 4 others who continued.

Ofcourse theres no way ANYBODY can have the same reaction to every member. I know that.

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 13:25
and yes, I pledged to this kickstarted twice. and got 3 family members to pledge.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-25-2014, 13:34
The AT has all kinds of legends and personalities in its culture. Some are famous and some are infamous. Some are known for their one-time accomplishments while others for their ongoing contributions. Some are commercial; some are educational; some are just plain colorful. Of course not everyone is going to agree on the importance, or legitimacy of these personalities. We all have our "hot button topics" that will idolize or villainize these folks. The important thing to remember is that they are ultimately just people, and that there is actually someone with feelings to be hurt by your criticism.

Please be sure you're nothing but sincere and justified before you attack.

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 13:42
like I said. I like Jenn. I met her. And had her sign a book for me.

I am team jenn.

tagg
07-25-2014, 14:04
Sniffle. I wasn't trying to change your quote. I just don't know how to quote one of your sentences, comment on it, and then quote another sentence from the same post and comment on that, too. At least not in the same post.

"I was quoting someone word-for-word after I posted in a thread when I met her. I liked meeting her. But several members got onto me for bragging about it. That was a quote from another member and backed by 4 others who continued."

Again...speak for yourself, dude.

Alligator
07-25-2014, 14:56
Sniffle. I wasn't trying to change your quote. I just don't know how to quote one of your sentences, comment on it, and then quote another sentence from the same post and comment on that, too. At least not in the same post.

"I was quoting someone word-for-word after I posted in a thread when I met her. I liked meeting her. But several members got onto me for bragging about it. That was a quote from another member and backed by 4 others who continued."

Again...speak for yourself, dude.When you reply with quote, you'll notice the post selected has the word quote in brackets at the beginning and /quote inside brackets at the end. All the words in between the two quote statements will be quoted. The / and the brackets [ ] are needed syntax. Frequently posters accidentally erase the very last bracket. You can break the post up by adding new sets of quote commands, copy or type them out. If you go to the Advanced reply, there is a quote balloon icon. You can highlight and hit that or hit it and type inside the two quote statements.

tagg
07-25-2014, 15:00
When you reply with quote, you'll notice the post selected has the word quote in brackets at the beginning and /quote inside brackets at the end. All the words in between the two quote statements will be quoted. The / and the brackets [ ] are needed syntax. Frequently posters accidentally erase the very last bracket. You can break the post up by adding new sets of quote commands, copy or type them out. If you go to the Advanced reply, there is a quote balloon icon. You can highlight and hit that or hit it and type inside the two quote statements.

Thanks, Alligator! I'll try that next time, although I guess it won't be on one of Ricky's posts :)

CalebJ
07-25-2014, 15:12
I'm very curious to know who honestly considers her a stain on the trail community. She's dedicated large portions of her life to being an ambassador for getting people educated about the trail and spending time outside in a low impact manner. By all accounts she's a very genuine, down to earth friendly person. If you've got a real beef with her, it would be far more productive to actually discuss the particular issue rather than simply referring to her as a stain on the community.

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 15:38
I'm very curious to know who honestly considers her a stain on the trail community. She's dedicated large portions of her life to being an ambassador for getting people educated about the trail and spending time outside in a low impact manner. By all accounts she's a very genuine, down to earth friendly person. If you've got a real beef with her, it would be far more productive to actually discuss the particular issue rather than simply referring to her as a stain on the community.

Stain = permanent fixture.

NOT a bad thing. NOT meant as an insult as a bad thing.

CalebJ
07-25-2014, 15:39
No. That's an absolutely laughable comeback.

A stain in this context is a blight. A sore spot. Something that you want to get rid of.

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 15:42
well Im sorry if thats how it came off. I did not mean it as negative... I believe I even said "a stain in the community and not in a bad way" or something.

I didn't mean "stain" as a bad thing. And I pretty much probably never in my life said it as a bad thing. But I do see what you meant.(Even though I said it was not a bad thing and even said in 4 posts that I like her.) But I did not mean it as a bad thing.

rocketsocks
07-25-2014, 15:44
Not one hour ago I was driving down the road and faced once again with a big decision that required spit second timing, nano even...speed up to beat the Yellow light, or slow down and take the Red. For years now I've opted to take it slower rather than speed and slice through a yellow, and that skill has kept me well...perhaps those techniques I could apply here in order to help me be a better poster.

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 15:45
Yeah, i need to stop standing up for you and quoting you, RocketSocks. It gets people onto me.

You nice stain on this community. lol

And just to add on, growing up in california our "principal" was called "the school stain" that was the actual TITLE of the job. We didn't have "principal" until 8th grade. Because the "stain" was the permanent representative of the school. and we had constables (Not cops) and the leader is called a "stain" as well. So don't tell me what I meant. I already told you I liked jenn and even when i said 'stain' i said 'not a bad thing' IMMEDIATELY following it.

Jenn is a stain to the trail = Jenn is like our ambassador/representative.

I like jenn. i like the work she does.

Now let it go.

rocketsocks
07-25-2014, 15:54
Yeah, i need to stop standing up for you and quoting you, RocketSocks. It gets people onto me.

You nice stain on this community. lolDude I am a stain, thanks Ricky, No worries. :) I'm 51 years old and can't blame anyone else for the things I do or say. You are allowed to change your mind, redefine your position, or articulate and idea further, but we all have to be willing to take responsibility for our own actions. I won't apologize for what I've said about exploitation, that i stand by, I think I've made my point as clear as can be about that one, but I will apologize for steering the thread in the first place, but then again others don't have to follow anyone's lead here. I enjoy being an individual, and taking responsibility for myself, it's often a full time job :D

rocketsocks
07-25-2014, 15:58

You nice stain on this community. lol

And just to add on, growing up in california our "principal" was called "the school stain" that was the actual TITLE of the job. We didn't have "principal" until 8th grade. Because the "stain" was the permanent representative of the school. and we had constables (Not cops) and the leader is called a "stain" as well. So don't tell me what I meant. I already told you I liked jenn and even when i said 'stain' i said 'not a bad thing' IMMEDIATELY following it.

Jenn is a stain to the trail = Jenn is like our ambassador/representative.

I like jenn. i like the work she does.

Now let it go....because I'm following the thread, I know who your taking to. ;)

rocketsocks
07-25-2014, 16:01
...the mood is right for a Friday night smack down27877

Ricky&Jack
07-25-2014, 16:10
...the mood is right for a Friday night smack down27877

Even though IM THE ORIGINAL POSTER and I posted this BECAUSE I DONATED and because I WANT TO SPREAD THE WORD SO OTHERS CAN DONATE, people are complaining and getting onto me for being NEGATIVE.... It's funny. Because I meant nothing negative.

tagg
07-25-2014, 16:15
Ricky, you went back and edited your original post. My quote from you is exactly how it was written, I only left out a couple of sentences after "...bring no good to it." You didn't originally say it wasn't necessarily a bad thing, you added that when you edited it. Your edit even has a time stamp on it. It's not that it matters and I know I'm being an idiot by even engaging in this, but for crying out loud, stop changing what you said and just own it. My point from the beginning was to speak for yourself, not for the hiking community as a whole. Your original post, which nobody will ever be able to see now due to the fact that you changed it, carried a negative message that you have tried to sweep under the rug now that you've been challenged. Be your own person and stop trying to say what you think others want to hear.

rocketsocks
07-25-2014, 16:21
Even though IM THE ORIGINAL POSTER and I posted this BECAUSE I DONATED and because I WANT TO SPREAD THE WORD SO OTHERS CAN DONATE, people are complaining and getting onto me for being NEGATIVE.... It's funny. Because I meant nothing negative.I hear ya, and believe you. unfortunately with the type of communicating we do here it can seem as though a person is being ganged up on when really what is happening is one person makes a statement, and everybody gets a shot at responding, it can seem over whelming, but just take em one at a time, cause that's really what it is, a series of single sided conversations, sometimes three or four way. If they haven't followed the thread all the way through as often happens, (not saying that hasn't happened here) things get lost in translations sometimes...still everyone is entitled to a piece of us when we post...No biggie. :)

tagg
07-25-2014, 16:31
I'm not trying to gang up on you, Ricky. But anyone can look at post #42 and see a quote from you that is no longer the same in post #39, which was edited. You've also gone back and deleted the post where you announced you are blocking me for misquoting you, even though I used the "reply with quote" function. Apologies if I upset you, time to turn off the computer and go outside. Thanks for the entertainment, and a pleasant weekend to all. :)

rocketsocks
07-25-2014, 16:36
To you to Tagg :sun

WingedMonkey
07-25-2014, 19:57
It is this sort of uninformed attack that gives WB a bad name in the online community.

Glad you didn't confuse it with the hiking community.

:banana

Teacher & Snacktime
07-26-2014, 00:35

Never.....hikers are always nice in my experience. Not so much the cybers.

illabelle
07-26-2014, 06:43
The AT has all kinds of legends and personalities in its culture. Some are famous and some are infamous. Some are known for their one-time accomplishments while others for their ongoing contributions. Some are commercial; some are educational; some are just plain colorful. Of course not everyone is going to agree on the importance, or legitimacy of these personalities. We all have our "hot button topics" that will idolize or villainize these folks. The important thing to remember is that they are ultimately just people, and that there is actually someone with feelings to be hurt by your criticism.

Please be sure you're nothing but sincere and justified before you attack.

Bravo, Teacher! +10

Lone Wolf
07-26-2014, 07:22
The AT has all kinds of legends and personalities in its culture. Some are famous and some are infamous. Some are known for their one-time accomplishments while others for their ongoing contributions. Some are commercial; some are educational; some are just plain colorful. Of course not everyone is going to agree on the importance, or legitimacy of these personalities.

the only "legends" and personalities that are worth noting are the founders of the AT and the builders and maintainers of it. walkin' it one or a dozen times or putting on hiker feeds is not legendary. i salute day hikers and section hikers

rickb
07-26-2014, 08:24
the only "legends" and personalities that are worth noting are the founders of the AT and the builders and maintainers of it.

You just trying to keep the sycophants and groupies away LW?

I would cross the street to say hello and tip my hat. I'd even offer to buy you a beer (one)- but mostly because you helped motivate me to lose 30 lbs (where it matters) and eat healthier.

Not to quite the stuff of legends, but figured this worth noting.

rocketsocks
07-26-2014, 13:46
You just trying to keep the sycophants and groupies away LW?

I would cross the street to say hello and tip my hat. I'd even offer to buy you a beer (one)- but mostly because you helped motivate me to lose 30 lbs (where it matters) and eat healthier.

Not to quite the stuff of legends, but figured this worth noting.
oh, you mean brown nosers.

...a thru hiker, trail angel and LW walk into a bar, and the bartender says "what's this a joke"

and LW says....

PM me for the punch line as it has been known to change.:D

rocketsocks
07-27-2014, 07:14

Wow, if that ain't the pot callin' the kettle black.

shelb
07-28-2014, 21:37
....Kickstarter is at $19,795 with 24 days to go.

Anyone willing to predict where it will end up??

Lone Wolf
07-28-2014, 21:38
20 grand for a card game

rocketsocks
07-28-2014, 21:49
....Kickstarter is at $19,795 with 24 days to go.

Anyone willing to predict where it will end up??much higher than that.

shelb
07-28-2014, 21:52
much higher than that.

Well, uh-huh...

My guess is $33,000. How about yours?

Ricky&Jack
07-28-2014, 22:01
$36,852.00

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 00:40
$36,852.00
ha ha lol....well, that didn't take long.

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 00:43
Well, uh-huh...

My guess is $33,000. How about yours?
$36,851 :D

wish I'd seen this earlier, I love wild azz guessin, but i'll tell ya true...I wouldn't have guessed that much at all, or anywhere near your $33 k....you win!