PDA

View Full Version : Cheese

chrisoc
07-19-2014, 10:34
What's a good cheese to carry that does not need refrigeration?

Coffee
07-19-2014, 10:52
Aged Parmigiano-Reggiano. Try to get "Stravecchio" which is aged 24+ months. Readily available at Whole Foods (very expensive) and more recently at Trader Joes (much more reasonable). I've only carried this cheese on shorter trips but I've read reports of it lasting for weeks in resupply packages and on the trail. It is tasty and addictive stuff, great consumed alone but better with crackers or bread. Mixes in really well with pasta meals adding some calories to Knorr sides or Mac & Cheese.

Hikes in Rain
07-19-2014, 12:59
Cheeses in general require no refrigeration. Harder cheeses will keep longer than softer ones, but all were created to store milk before refrigeration was invented. Besides, you'll eat it all long before it has a chance to go bad! :) They might get a little "oily", but it'll be fine.

Odd Man Out
07-19-2014, 15:34
I brought a chunk of sharp cheddar, which at home I like a lot, but on the trail, it didn't seem to appeal to me. But I also brought some of those Mini Baby Bel cheese snacks. Each comes in a wrapper and wax. Pull the tab and it opens up. There is a bit more packaging waste/weight, but they pack nicely. Each one is 21 g (0.75 oz) and 70 cal. There is a variety to choose from.

http://www.thelaughingcow.com/products/mini-babybel/

Ricky&Jack
07-19-2014, 15:55
as far as I know...... Just like beer and cheese is refrigerated in the united states, overseas it's preferred to be stored and consumed at room temperature.

So take beer and cheese and both will be good warm.

Coffee
07-19-2014, 15:56
That's the main problem with the Mini Baby Bel ... there is so much packaging weight that a normally calorie dense food gets pretty inefficient in terms of calories per ounce of weight carried.

Coffee
07-19-2014, 15:57
as far as I know...... Just like beer and cheese is refrigerated in the united states, overseas it's preferred to be stored and consumed at room temperature.

So take beer and cheese and both will be good warm.

I was very surprised recently to see eggs stored at room temperature at a supermarket in the Netherlands. In general, Europe is less "refrigerated" than America, and I'm referring to both food items and the lack of the air conditioning we take for granted in the US even in the most modest accommodations. Maybe they are onto something... I feel like we overuse A/C.

Ricky&Jack
07-19-2014, 16:06
We have to store eggs in refrigeration because of whats added/fed at the chicken farms.

Growing up on a farm you could go check the chicken pens every few days, and the piles of eggs would still be good.

Also, I think in Italy and etc butcher shops hang meat in windows and outside, and its still good.

Wise Old Owl
07-19-2014, 16:42
https://cabot.imagerelay.com/ql/cdbd532b978e49daa49c99378c968fc5/6oz_Legacy_Alpine_290x147_72_RGB.jpgCabot Alpine CHHHHHEDDDAR!

27777Did I say I was addicted to this stuff? Don't forget the crackers...

Odd Man Out
07-19-2014, 17:38
That's the main problem with the Mini Baby Bel ... there is so much packaging weight that a normally calorie dense food gets pretty inefficient in terms of calories per ounce of weight carried.

I know, but those little packages sure were convenient.

ChuckT
07-19-2014, 17:47
And the cheese is tasty too!

shelb
07-19-2014, 19:38
I was very surprised recently to see eggs stored at room temperature at a supermarket in the Netherlands.

My dad was amazed when he went on a 3 week sailing trip in the Carribean. They said the eggs could be stored without refrigeration for 6 months. The shell was first coated with Crisco, and then the eggs had to be rotated (cartons flipped) every day. At the time he was on the eggs were 2 months old, and he ate them without a problem.

Regarding cheese: I dislike the way it gets "oily." Is there a way to store it to help this situation? Would it be better to place the cheese in wax paper and then in plastic?

imscotty
07-20-2014, 02:07
Cheese requires refrigeration? I never had cheese last long enough on the trail to worry about spoilage. It does get 'sweaty', however. Still tastes the same to me. Just eat and enjoy.

rocketsocks
07-20-2014, 02:20
Cheese requires refrigeration? I never had cheese last long enough on the trail to worry about spoilage. It does get 'sweaty', however. Still tastes the same to me. Just eat and enjoy.
+1 on the not stickin' around long enough for spoilage.

Confirmed "Cheese Please" Lover

rocketsocks
07-20-2014, 02:22
Hard uber sharp cheddar for me.

Venchka
07-20-2014, 21:53
Don't forget the old standby: individual serving string cheese.
Does the empty Baby Bel packaging work as fire starter material?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2014, 21:59
Wait - nobody lost a loafer? dropped their hiking socks... :(

Hikes in Rain
07-21-2014, 06:34

Wayne

Makes a fine fire starter. And comes with free cheese!

Coffee
07-21-2014, 06:58
I tried string cheese some time ago on a day with temps in the 70s. In the six or so hours from the time I put the cheese into my pack leaving the store till I ate it as part of dinner the cheese got really oily and not very pleasant to eat. It was still fine but I haven't carried string cheese since. At least the individual portions keep the cheese and oils contained.

Odd Man Out
07-21-2014, 11:35

I do believe it is wax, but I never tried to burn it. Never had a campfire on this trip. I don't want to start another "do you burn your trash" thread ;).

rocketsocks
07-21-2014, 11:43

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.i don't know about it as a fire starter, but once while at the beach I used it to wax a skim board...worked great!

Venchka
07-21-2014, 13:43
I do believe it is wax, but I never tried to burn it. Never had a campfire on this trip. I don't want to start another "do you burn your trash" thread ;).

I wouldn't dream of opening that can of worms.

Wayne

Odd Man Out
07-21-2014, 14:07
i don't know about it as a fire starter, but once while at the beach I used it to wax a skim board...worked great!

Excellent. The gram weenies can't complain - It's a multi-use item!

RED-DOG
07-21-2014, 15:45
Over the years of outdoor recreation I have found that Mild Cheddar lasts longer 4-5 days while others have gone rancide in just a couple of days

RockDoc
07-21-2014, 17:04
A long time ago we found that the really sharp Cracker Barrel cheese lasts a lot longer than the mild kind. But still, it's cheese, and you need to use it fairly fast in warm weather.

rocketsocks
07-21-2014, 17:45
Over the years of outdoor recreation I have found that Mild Cheddar lasts longer 4-5 days while others have gone rancide in just a couple of days

A long time ago we found that the really sharp Cracker Barrel cheese lasts a lot longer than the mild kind. But still, it's cheese, and you need to use it fairly fast in warm weather.
I'll eat any kinda cheese, as long as it's Not-cho cheese. :D

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2014, 21:24
Wax on wax off...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PycZtfns_U

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2014, 21:30

I looked up after making a teezers If you cheddar isn't making it- you are eating it too slow or your not storing it right... Red Dog. Block dry cheese lasts... keep it closer to the cold water bottle or take a reflectix and wrap the water bottle or bladder and stuff the cheese in the center to keep it cool. I use reflectix to keep my back from radiating heat into the water bladder.. it works for a cool drink in the heat of the day.

rocketsocks
07-21-2014, 21:48
I looked up after making a teezers If you cheddar isn't making it- you are eating it too slow or your not storing it right... Red Dog. Block dry cheese lasts... keep it closer to the cold water bottle or take a reflectix and wrap the water bottle or bladder and stuff the cheese in the center to keep it cool. I use reflectix to keep my back from radiating heat into the water bladder.. it works for a cool drink in the heat of the day.
Even know it Owl has determined a cucumber is cooler on the inside...often 20 degrees. Who knew Woo.

rocketsocks
07-21-2014, 21:50
Even know it Owl has determined a cucumber is cooler on the inside...often 20 degrees. Who knew Woo.

thus the term cool as a cucumber.

...guess it all depends on how ya pack it. ;) huh?

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2014, 22:05
Very funny... do you do stand up at the shelters?

Example>>>>>>

I don't get annoyed about the idiot that gets loud and drunk till two in the morning... I wake the ass up at four and tell him how much I enjoyed his demeanor!

Hey I was in good shape as a young man... I could climb mountains, good at sports, catch a meal, and run away from trail runners....

rocketsocks
07-21-2014, 22:09
Very funny... do you do stand up at the shelters?

Example>>>>>>

I don't get annoyed about the idiot that gets loud and drunk till two in the morning... I wake the ass up at four and tell him how much I enjoyed his demeanor!

Hey I was in good shape as a young man... I could climb mountains, good at sports, catch a meal, and run away from trail runners....
huh? all in the name of protecting cheese?...I never know what your saying.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2014, 22:11
http://www.advisoranalyst.com/glablog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/im-back.png

ChuckT
07-22-2014, 12:32
thus the term cool as a cucumber.

...guess it all depends on how ya pack it. ;) huh?
Smile ... when ya say thet, pilgrim

Solitude501
07-22-2014, 13:07
Cracker Barrel sharp Cheddar works for me.

RED-DOG
07-22-2014, 13:15
OH reflectix never thought about it but i will try it next time.

MyName1sMud
08-11-2014, 07:04
https://cabot.imagerelay.com/ql/cdbd532b978e49daa49c99378c968fc5/6oz_Legacy_Alpine_290x147_72_RGB.jpgCabot Alpine CHHHHHEDDDAR!

Looks like I need to try some of this stuff

MyName1sMud
08-11-2014, 07:06

Reflectix ??? I learn something new from you all the dang time.

Tipi Walter
08-11-2014, 07:58

Here is my favorite---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/16-Days-in-March/i-Tbj3DQw/0/L/TRIP%20154%20297-L.jpg

Regarding cheese: I dislike the way it gets "oily." Is there a way to store it to help this situation? Would it be better to place the cheese in wax paper and then in plastic?

In the summer I remove the cheese from its wrapper and wrap it in a new dry paper towel like bounty and keep it tight with a rubber band. This keeps the cheese from getting oily.

swjohnsey
08-11-2014, 08:56
Cheese is calorie dense, also. Any hard cheese you find in the grocery store will do, cheddar, Colby, etc. Not many gourmet shops along the trail. The Cabot cheese is a treat as you get farther north, don't miss it.

Del Q
08-11-2014, 19:16
I really like Cracker Barrel from the grocery store, nice sized portion, easy to open, even with gloves. Great with hard pretzels or on pita bread with spam single serving and mayo/mustard.

chrisoc
08-19-2014, 13:29
I like to stuff a pita pocket with a few slices of cheddar and a few slices of summer sausage.

Another Kevin
08-19-2014, 13:52
I like to stuff a pita pocket with a few slices of cheddar and a few slices of summer sausage.

That's what I had for lunch on Sunday. Except that it was aged provolone and soppressata. Same principle: unleavened bread, hard cheese and fermented sausage.

russb
08-19-2014, 14:14
That's what I had for lunch on Sunday. Except that it was aged provolone and soppressata. Same principle: unleavened bread, hard cheese and fermented sausage.

Ok Kevin. You and I will need to hit the trail together soon. We eat similarly.

Another Kevin
08-19-2014, 14:49
Ok Kevin. You and I will need to hit the trail together soon. We eat similarly.

Looking forward to it! October. You know my itinerary. :)
12trysomething tells me you bring the best of the wurst. :)

Rolls Kanardly
08-19-2014, 17:04

How good can a big wheel of cheese be if it fell off a truck and rolled down a hill?

lemon b
08-19-2014, 17:53
Worked for a food processing and manufacturing company for over 10 years. Cheese has a strange breakdown process. In the 33 to 40 degree area it will last years. It is also unique in that it can start to go bad at higher temps, and than when put back to lower temps the breakdown process will almost come to a halt where as most product once the process starts it's going to just go bad. Obviously the packaging also plays a huge role also because once opened the air gets to it. Also once opened our four legged friends are now going to get a scent, unless resealed really well. It also starts the breakdown process at a higher temp than most fresh foods. I think once over 65 degrees is when the breakdown process really picks up if exposed to air, than problems are going to manifest themselves at a higher rate. One has to be aware of the range of temps over the period in the pack. My experience is unless your hiking in really hot weather it will last longer than your desire to eat it. But if one wants to haul the weight in temps under 60 degrees a month in a sealed zip lock is the max I'd keep it around. Get a few 70 degree days and problems are going to start to happen after a week.

fadedsun
08-19-2014, 17:54
I've found block cheese will last a week without going bad, if it actually lasts that long. It will be oily.

I've also found that the dry cheese packages in various box-o'-dinner options work well when reconstituted with dehydrated milk and olive oil: an acceptable sauce/dip.

russb
08-19-2014, 19:58
Looking forward to it! October. You know my itinerary. :)
12trysomething tells me you bring the best of the wurst. :)

This I cannot deny. I get it from http://www.swanmarket.com/

kayak karl
08-19-2014, 20:01
has anyone ever had cheese go bad on them on the trail. this question always gets asked, but i have never had ir go bad. eggs either for that matter.

Another Kevin
08-19-2014, 22:05
This I cannot deny. I get it from http://www.swanmarket.com/

Thanks for the pointer! I'm going to Rochester this weekend, and I might add this on to the mandatory Wegman's pilgrimage. :)

overthinker
09-01-2014, 23:44
I was very surprised recently to see eggs stored at room temperature at a supermarket in the Netherlands.

IIRC, eggs are generally sold unwashed in Europe. Unwashed eggs will keep without refrigeration MUCH longer than washed eggs. Eggs you buy in America are always washed, unless you know a farmer who will slide you some on the side.

squeezebox
09-02-2014, 00:24
What about sucking the air out of a ziplock before you seal it. Less O2 means less spoilage, But putting your mouth on something spreads germs.??
use a straw ?? just scrape the mold off and eat the rest?? There are a fair amount of cheeses that the moldy rind gets scraped off before eating.

Siarl
09-02-2014, 05:22
IIRC, eggs are generally sold unwashed in Europe. Unwashed eggs will keep without refrigeration MUCH longer than washed eggs. Eggs you buy in America are always washed, unless you know a farmer who will slide you some on the side.

Correct. I grew up on a small farm that my family had. We had chickens just for the fresh eggs. We would gather them and keep them out unwashed on the counter or wash them and put them in the fridge if we weren't going to use them right away...which was rarely the case. There were eight of us kids and nothing stayed long enough to spoil in our house. Eggs have a natural coating or bloom on them that protects the egg or unborn chick and allows it to form until hatching. If you don't wash the eggs or rub off the bloom, eggs can keep safely for up to two weeks or more with no harm done. But I wouldn't push the "or more" factor too much. In order for eggs to arrive as fresh as possible to the supermarket shelf, the commercial egg businesses refrigerate the eggs since there is quite a bit of lag time between lay date and the purchase date. And...the U.S. egg business is Big Business where as in Europe, Central America, South America and Asia the egg farmers are smaller and more locally delivered and can afford to place them on the shelf. When I lived in Honduras and the Philippines, the eggs were never refrigerated in the stores. But growing up in the Appalachians, almost every home in the mountains, my grandmothers for example, had a root cellar or spring house to keep things such as milk, eggs, and cheese cool. It's my opinion that in the U.S. there is a history of refrigerating quite a number of things that wouldn't necessarily be otherwise in other countries.

bmanice
10-29-2014, 18:50
I second the Alpine Cheddar - such a good cheese for anytime.