PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag Cooking Question~Maximum cooking time?

yerbyray
07-19-2014, 16:07
Good evening,

I like freezer bag cooking and I am expanding my menu and I was wondering what would be my "maximum" cooking time in the boiling bag method?

Ramen noodles take a few minutes....Mac-n-cheese type dishes a few more...the more elaborate things take much longer but I wonder how long you can get before you are not really achieving anything.

One thing I want to take is some Red Beans and Rice and it should simmer for about twenty minutes. I don't want crunchy beans.

I'm sure a really quality cozy will improve performance but mine seems to be fine.

Any thoughts?

Rocket Jones
07-19-2014, 17:34
I've never tried dried beans for FBC, but I wonder if pre-soaking with some water an hour or two before eating would help the process. Maybe add a half cup of water to the bag, then at dinner time finish adding the proper amount of near-boiling water to finish cooking.

For rice, I've always used instant for FBC.

shelb
07-19-2014, 19:41
Pre-soaking REALLY helps! I have used regular dried beans, putting them in water in the morning - in an old gatorade bottle (wide mouth works best - about an extra inch of water - checking during the day to keep covered). Then at night, I put them in the freezer bag with whatever else I want to add.

RangerZ
07-19-2014, 23:26
Good evening,

I like freezer bag cooking and I am expanding my menu and I was wondering what would be my "maximum" cooking time in the boiling bag method?

Ramen noodles take a few minutes....Mac-n-cheese type dishes a few more...the more elaborate things take much longer but I wonder how long you can get before you are not really achieving anything.

One thing I want to take is some Red Beans and Rice and it should simmer for about twenty minutes. I don't want crunchy beans.

I'm sure a really quality cozy will improve performance but mine seems to be fine.

Any thoughts?

I do Knorrs pasta sides. Add in quarter cups of NIDO and TVP and only about half the water the package calls for. I let it sit in my cozy for about ten minutes then squish and stir it around, add tuna or Spam package. Let it sit for another ten minutes or so or until I get done with chores. I find the flat fetticini noodles ike to clump together and I like the spirals, shells or macaroni better. Cozy really does keep it warm.

I found about 15 feet of reflectix at a recycling/reuse store for $3 so I made an under pad also, it hasn't been cold enough to sleep n it yet.

Venchka
07-19-2014, 23:32
Pre-soaking REALLY helps! I have used regular dried beans, putting them in water in the morning - in an old gatorade bottle (wide mouth works best - about an extra inch of water - checking during the day to keep covered). Then at night, I put them in the freezer bag with whatever else I want to add.

Start soaking your beans the night before, while you are starting your evening meal.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

yerbyray
07-20-2014, 20:32
Thank you all for the tips

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2014, 21:19
Well - you cant learn from asking lots of questions here,,, how about going right to the source? This Gal is the best... read her site and get a book ... you will not be disappointing...

http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101/

yerbyray
07-21-2014, 21:23
Well - you cant learn from asking lots of questions here,,, how about going right to the source? This Gal is the best... read her site and get a book ... you will not be disappointing...

http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101/

Had her book for about ten years I think....

I was asking more or less about the duration of meals in general being cooked in FB style.

Thanks

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2014, 21:38
Well that we can agree... but cooking and FBC only come's from practice in the back yard - seriously... really sucks to make a mistake and have to eat it in the woods... or feed it to the shelter mice... just saying.

Each meal is different.. because its boil - its goofy proof for the most part.

I made tons of mistakes in BBQ and now I am slightly good at it... But I have read Myron Dixon's books and watch videos and although he doesn't reveal everything... I think I have it down.

Well that's my take...