PDA

View Full Version : bear bag knot

bangorme
07-19-2014, 19:36
Let's say you are hanging a bear bag between two trees. The first tree can be tied with almost any knot because you have the end. What do you use on the second try assuming you have rope left over and you have to keep tension on the rope between the two trees. I've done it lots of times, but it always ugly.

yerbyray
07-19-2014, 23:13
You talking about tying a Taughtline hitch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdSJO_713do

Sounds sort of like what you are asking

bangorme
07-20-2014, 00:11
Thanks, I think that would work. It might be a little cumbersome if I had 20 feet of cord left though.

HooKooDooKu
07-20-2014, 02:05
This is an incredibly easy knot to tie (http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedclinch/index.php) that allows you to adjust the tension and can be used when you have lots of extra rope. It's what I use for all my tent guy lines and any time I need to string some rope for a cloths line.

However, unlike the knot shown, you should move the knot away from the tree (represented by the ring) and only three turns are needed. The one other modification (that allows you to tie this knot when you have lots of extra line) is that you don't pull the end of the rope all the way thru the final loop. Instead, fold the rope in half at a convenient length and pull the bend thru the knot as if it were the free end. Even with the rope double backed, the know will still hold, but still be easy to untie like a shoe lace.

Meriadoc
07-20-2014, 06:53
The trucker's hitch is designed for this exact scenario - tightening up a line and keeping it taut. It also provides a mechanical advantage and is super easy to tie once you get the hang of it. I use this knot constantly at work.

But, I'm a bit confused here. How high are you tying this line? I assume you know that a bear bag line should be 10-12 feet off the ground. Is it a horizontal line? Or are you tying the loose end of a line that has been thrown over a limb?

For tying the loose end of a line that has been thrown over a tree limb, a friction hitch is a phenomenal knot. It is tied by wrapping the line repeatedly around the tree. Finish it off with a simple slipped half hitch to prevent it from unraveling, and voila, the job is complete. The wraps will hold the tension very well and let you handle the tail end with ease.

rocketsocks
07-20-2014, 09:27
I use the truckers hitch as well, I find it easier than the taught line for tensioning and fine tuning a tarp or rain fly. The Bowline is another favorite of mine for it's ease an speed of tying and untying. when tying off to a branch the clove hitch never lets me down. These three are by far the ones I've used the most over the years for general use.

bangorme
07-20-2014, 11:05
The trucker's hitch is designed for this exact scenario - tightening up a line and keeping it taut. It also provides a mechanical advantage and is super easy to tie once you get the hang of it. I use this knot constantly at work.

But, I'm a bit confused here. How high are you tying this line? I assume you know that a bear bag line should be 10-12 feet off the ground. Is it a horizontal line? Or are you tying the loose end of a line that has been thrown over a limb?

Yes, I'm talking about a hang between two trees, with the bear bag hanging between them. I carry 50 ft of paracord and I sometimes have lots of cord left when it comes time to tie off on the second tree. The trucker's and taughtline hitch would work, but I'd have to pull all that excess line through the knot. I'm thinking that the "perfect knot" (if it even exists) would involve doubling the line and tying the slip knot with doubled line.

Odd Man Out
07-20-2014, 12:26
Do you know about the PCT method of hanging? I think it is generally considered a better way to hang a bear bag. If you Google "PCT Method" you'll find lots of info about it. All you need is a clove hitch and there is no pulling long loose ends through to tie that knot.

upstream
07-20-2014, 14:32
A Mooring Hitch: http://www.animatedknots.com/mooring can tie off to a tree without pulling all the extra cord through the knot. But it isn't much good at tensioning.

But I agree with Odd Man Out that the PCT method is better in all ways.

mtntopper
07-20-2014, 15:19
PCT method is what I use. Works good.

bangorme
07-20-2014, 20:26
I like PCT (when I remember to bring the bag and carabiner). But that's a single tree hang and I don't always find good trees for that method. Maybe I'm too picky lol.

perrito
07-21-2014, 06:35
Watch "Hanging A Bear Bag PCT style".
http://youtu.be/qgBLDMuPuvE
He includes a variation showing how to hang the bearbag between two trees.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

RED-DOG
07-21-2014, 15:55
Personally i always use the PCT method it's quick and easy.

LoganASU
07-21-2014, 20:45
Watch "Hanging A Bear Bag PCT style".
http://youtu.be/qgBLDMuPuvE
He includes a variation showing how to hang the bearbag between two trees.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Thought that was a great explanation.

Starchild
07-21-2014, 21:05
I use a small stick to place in the loop of the knot to secure it. Hard to explain but all you need to do is loop the 2nd tree, place the rope through itself and secure with a stick, wrap a hitch around the stick for extra security.

Another Kevin
07-22-2014, 09:07
A slipped taut-line.

A trucker's hitch gives a mechanical advantage, but wears into the rope quite badly because of all the friction. When I need the mechanical advantage, that's what a carabiner is for. (I always have at least one about me when hanging a bearbag, because I use a 'biner to secure my camera case to the ladder strap of my pack. It appears that anything less sturdy either breaks or comes open on off-trail outings.)

rocketsocks
07-22-2014, 15:04
A slipped taut-line.

A trucker's hitch gives a mechanical advantage, but wears into the rope quite badly because of all the friction. When I need the mechanical advantage, that's what a carabiner is for. (I always have at least one about me when hanging a bearbag, because I use a 'biner to secure my camera case to the ladder strap of my pack. It appears that anything less sturdy either breaks or comes open on off-trail outings.)This is true.

Feral Bill
07-22-2014, 17:28
If you goal is avoiding pulling extra line through knots, you can simply double up th loose end, and tie a clove hitch with the doubled end.

rocketsocks
07-22-2014, 20:16
If you goal is avoiding pulling extra line through knots, you can simply double up th loose end, and tie a clove hitch with the doubled end.
Aye, kinda like stowing the main line, o' coiling it anyway.

shakey_snake
07-23-2014, 01:03
Booooooooooo (http://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans/index.php?Categ=typeendloops&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com)

You are bad and should feel bad!

rocketsocks
07-23-2014, 02:32
Booooooooooo (http://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans/index.php?Categ=typeendloops&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com)

You are bad and should feel bad!

Love em all, trust but few, always paddle your own canoe.

I don't think I trust your link, No Sale! :D

rocketsocks
07-23-2014, 02:36
Love em all, trust but few, always paddle your own canoe.

I don't think I trust your link, No Sale! :D
Upon further inspection...as only I know how.

I give you

animatedknots.com