PDA

View Full Version : Hopping on near CT/MA

mvictor
07-19-2014, 19:48
Trying to find a good spot to hop on the trail near the CT/MA border. Any ideas how I can use public transportation to get on the AT?

Thanks

adamkrz
07-19-2014, 20:11
I would find out if there is a bus stop in Great Barrington, Only a couple of miles to the trail from there either on rt3 or rt7.

DavidNH
07-19-2014, 20:16
In Salisbury underhill trail to AT.. then just a few miles over Bear Mountain to Sages Ravine which is the CT Mass border.
There is no public transport though to Salisbury.

You could get transportation further north to the Berkshires (such as Great Barrington, Lennox etc.) though that's further north than you requested.

Driver8
07-20-2014, 00:18
Not sure, but I think Peter Pan stops in Canaan, CT, 7 miles or so east of the A.T. in Salisbury. Maria McCabe, a trail angel in Salisbury, may be able to help you get from Canaan to Salisbury.

Traveler
07-20-2014, 06:34
Trying to find a good spot to hop on the trail near the CT/MA border. Any ideas how I can use public transportation to get on the AT?

Thanks

There are several places you can get onto the AT near the CT/MA state lines, depending on the work you want to do right away. The AT crossing at Rt 44 or a little further north on Rt 41 (to Lions Head at the south end of the Riga Plateau) is fairly easy to get to from most anywhere, presuming you can get to Salisbury CT. If you prefer to get on the AT at the midway point of the Riga Plateau, the Undermountain Access Trail is a few miles north of Salisbury on Rt 41, a few miles further, across the MA State line is the Race Brook Falls access trail on Rt 41. After that the next AT road crossing or access trail would be on Guilder Hollow Rd off of Rt 41, at the north end of the Riga Plateau.

If you can get a ride to Salisbury CT you can get to any of these trail heads pretty easily. The only bus service that I've seen is Peter Pan going in and out of North Caanan, CT at the MA line. From there its a few miles flat walk along Rt 7 to the AT crossing. Chances of finding a ride in town are pretty good overall.

Driver8
07-20-2014, 22:12
There are several places you can get onto the AT near the CT/MA state lines, depending on the work you want to do right away. The AT crossing at Rt 44 or a little further north on Rt 41 (to Lions Head at the south end of the Riga Plateau) is fairly easy to get to from most anywhere, presuming you can get to Salisbury CT. If you prefer to get on the AT at the midway point of the Riga Plateau, the Undermountain Access Trail is a few miles north of Salisbury on Rt 41, a few miles further, across the MA State line is the Race Brook Falls access trail on Rt 41. After that the next AT road crossing or access trail would be on Guilder Hollow Rd off of Rt 41, at the north end of the Riga Plateau.

If you can get a ride to Salisbury CT you can get to any of these trail heads pretty easily. The only bus service that I've seen is Peter Pan going in and out of North Caanan, CT at the MA line. From there its a few miles flat walk along Rt 7 to the AT crossing. Chances of finding a ride in town are pretty good overall.

No disrespect intended, but it's not a flat walk from Canaan village in the Town of North Canaan, to Salisbury. Flatish until the Housy crossing on 44, but a significant climb begins not long after, and the trip is 7 miles, total from town center to town center - I've clocked it in my car. But rides shouldn't be too hard to come by as you note. Peter Beck's Village Store, an outfitter in Salisbury, and Mary at Chaiwalla tea shop in Salisbury might be helpful, as well as Maria McCabe, whom I mentioned earlier.

gwb
07-23-2014, 08:39
Peter Pan Bus Line from Port Authority to Great Barrington MA. I don't have a guide book handy but I think it was only 7 miles or so over the CT line into MA. I've used the bus twice, once to Great Barrington and once from Great Barrington. No problems bus runs pretty close to on time. Hope that helps...

Traveler
07-30-2014, 16:28
No disrespect intended, but it's not a flat walk from Canaan village in the Town of North Canaan, to Salisbury. Flatish until the Housy crossing on 44, but a significant climb begins not long after, and the trip is 7 miles, total from town center to town center - I've clocked it in my car. But rides shouldn't be too hard to come by as you note. Peter Beck's Village Store, an outfitter in Salisbury, and Mary at Chaiwalla tea shop in Salisbury might be helpful, as well as Maria McCabe, whom I mentioned earlier.

No disrespect taken, since I was referring to North Canaan to the AT crossing of Rt 7 in MA a few miles up the road, which is pretty flat. Walking to Salisbury from North Canaan has a few hills before you reach the AT crossing at Rt 4.

Driver8
07-31-2014, 01:21
No disrespect taken, since I was referring to North Canaan to the AT crossing of Rt 7 in MA a few miles up the road, which is pretty flat. Walking to Salisbury from North Canaan has a few hills before you reach the AT crossing at Rt 4.

Oops. Misread your post. Flat as a pancake from Canann through Sheffield to G.B. on Rt. 7. Good distance, but probably not hard to arrange a ride, as we've touched on already. I was over in your town Wednesday - such a pretty place. :sun

Traveler
07-31-2014, 07:39
When are you planning this?

grnmtngirl
07-31-2014, 21:23
Not sure, but I think Peter Pan stops in Canaan, CT, 7 miles or so east of the A.T. in Salisbury. Maria McCabe, a trail angel in Salisbury, may be able to help you get from Canaan to Salisbury.

The Peter Pan goes to the Collin's Diner in Canaan. It also stops in Great Barrington, but if you can get a shuttle from Canaan, then you're a bit closer as everyone has said.

Leanthree
07-31-2014, 21:41
In May, I used Lakeville Taxi (arranged a couple days in advance) to get from the Collin's Diner in Canaan where the Peter Pan dropped me off to get me to the trailhead in Salisbury. Cost $25ish and was on time picking me up and a clean ride.

From the shuttle .pdf the ATC puts together:

Lakeville Taxi
Lakeville, CT
(860) 435-8000
(2 miles SW of Salisbury)
8am to 4pm or 5pm, 7 days/week.
Advance reservations recommended.