PDA

View Full Version : Pack with metal stay as carry on luggage?

Coffee
07-19-2014, 21:46
It turns out that the flights I booked for my upcoming hike do not include a free checked bag as I was led to believe. So I'm thinking of shipping ahead items that I cannot carry onto the plane along with starting food and to carry the pack (ULA Circuit) onto my flight. I think that the pack will appear compact enough to be allowed on board but I'm worried that TSA will object to the metal stay. Does anyone know whether metal stays within a pack are problematic for TSA? I'd like to avoid any trouble at the airport or having to check my pack at the last minute.

Meriadoc
07-19-2014, 22:56
For what it's worth, I have carried a pack with metal stays onto flights before with no problems.

Coffee
07-20-2014, 07:01
Just remembered that trekking poles are a no go as well unless I pass them off as a "walking aid"... May have to just suck it up and pay United's bag fee. It's unreal... They insist on charging the fee even though I have their United credit card which is supposed to waive the bag fee... Why? Because I paid the $2.50 tax on a free mileage ticket using a discover card rather than my united card.

magneto
07-20-2014, 07:14
No one can predict what the TSA will allow or not on any given flight. You could bring a duffle bag for your pack and poles just in case you have to check them. The duffle will offer some extra protection. That is my plan for my upcoming flight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefighter503
07-20-2014, 14:47
I travel internationally regularly on United with a non-backpacking backpack that has about a 16-18" metal stay running down the spine. Never had a single problem. No reason you can't ship your trekking poles with the other stuff.

It might be worth thinking about just shipping everything ahead of time (a week or so) and then once you confirm that it has gotten there in once piece, travel without luggage at all.

Coffee
07-22-2014, 17:18
So I ended up sending a USPS Priority mail box with my trekking poles, aluminum stay as well as the Circuit's suspension loop and other no-go items for carry on luggage. Now my Circuit packs down small enough to be legitimate carry-on size and assuming the PO gets my general delivery packages, I should be good to go without worrying about TSA messing with my gear as checked luggage or losing it entirely! I plan to do the same on the way back. Another upside is that I can leave my duffel bag at home since I only used it as a protection layer when my pack is checked in as luggage.

Odd Man Out
07-22-2014, 17:54
So I ended up sending a USPS Priority mail box with my trekking poles, aluminum stay as well as the Circuit's suspension loop and other no-go items for carry on luggage. Now my Circuit packs down small enough to be legitimate carry-on size and assuming the PO gets my general delivery packages, I should be good to go without worrying about TSA messing with my gear as checked luggage or losing it entirely! I plan to do the same on the way back. Another upside is that I can leave my duffel bag at home since I only used it as a protection layer when my pack is checked in as luggage.

I'm curious. How did the cost of shipping compare to the cost of the checked bag? I've not shipped things in the past. My last trip I did have free checked bags (thanks SW).

Coffee
07-22-2014, 19:58
I'm curious. How did the cost of shipping compare to the cost of the checked bag? I've not shipped things in the past. My last trip I did have free checked bags (thanks SW).
A large priority mail box is $15.80 if you pay online at USPS.com and print the label. I'm flying outbound on Southwest but returning on United with a stop on the way to visit family. Southwest provides two free checked bags while United charges $25. So on my return, I'll be sending back gear I cannot carry on and saving around $35 vs checking my pack. On the outbound flight I could have taken advantage of Southwest's free checked bag but I'm going to be so much more comfortable with my pack in my possession while I travel.

Odd Man Out
07-22-2014, 20:16
A large priority mail box is $15.80 if you pay online at USPS.com and print the label. I'm flying outbound on Southwest but returning on United with a stop on the way to visit family. Southwest provides two free checked bags while United charges $25. So on my return, I'll be sending back gear I cannot carry on and saving around $35 vs checking my pack. On the outbound flight I could have taken advantage of Southwest's free checked bag but I'm going to be so much more comfortable with my pack in my possession while I travel.

Thanks. My SW flight was non-stop direct from a small airport, so I figured the probability of lost luggage was low. But when you have a connection, I appreciate the desire to keep you bag with you. I have one of those big green canvas army issue duffel bags to stuff the pack in for checked luggage. The big problem are trekking poles. I don't trust TSA to let those through as carry-on.

Starchild
07-22-2014, 21:32
A large priority mail box is $15.80 if you pay online at USPS.com and print the label.
The flat rate boxes usually cost much more then boxing it yourself when it comes to hiking gear which is usually light weight. I found this out when shipping a sleeping quilt, large box was about the $15.80 you mention if not exact, but boxing it myself and priority mailing it cost about $8.

Feral Bill
07-23-2014, 09:25
Regular carry on bags have all sorts of framing and often wheels and telescoping metal handles as well. There shouldn't be a problem. No guaranties, though.

QHShowoman
07-23-2014, 09:51
What Feral Bill said -- you shouldn't have a problem with the metal stays, as they are part of the construction of the bag.

I just shipped my trekking poles and tent poles/stakes to Alaska from Washington, DC via USPS Priority mail. I used the larger mailing tube the post office sells (which is really more of a long, rectangular box than a proper tube and everything fit in it well -- just added a little bubble wrap at the ends). It cost me $11.50 for 3 day delivery -- way less than paying to check my bag (which is usually $25 or more) and potentially lose my luggage (I change planes twice).