PDA

View Full Version : Health in Hike'n

Tuxedo
07-19-2014, 23:43
Came across an article in HuffPost today and thought I'd post a link to let anyone wanting proof that hikers are better off hiking then reading off of a laptop like me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/18/how-taking-a-hike-can-mak_n_5584809.html

moytoy
07-20-2014, 05:06
Yup...It's true but I've let some minor health issues keep me off the trail over the last 12 months. My doctor told me there is no real reason to stop hiking. His mantra is use it or lose it.

rocketsocks
07-20-2014, 05:42
Came across an article in HuffPost today and thought I'd post a link to let anyone wanting proof that hikers are better off hiking then reading off of a laptop like me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/18/how-taking-a-hike-can-mak_n_5584809.htmlYour not alone, I walk/trek/hike in preparation that one day I may be able to...so I'll be ready when the time comes and it's my turn. If i don't walk, I shrivel and am cricked up. Do some of my best thinkin' on long walks.

garlic08
07-20-2014, 07:54
Hiking is healthy? When the alternative is sitting on a couch? "We hold these truths to be self-evident...."

I live in an active hiking community. The headquarters for the American Alpine Club, the Colorado Trail Foundation, and the Continental Divide Trial Coalition reside here, as well as offices for Outward Bound. There is a large county trails group, and many smaller private groups. I attend some of the gatherings for these organizations. It's not often in this country you can enter a roomful of people, many with gray hair, and not see a single roll of fat anywhere.

Carbo
07-20-2014, 18:30
The "tired" I feel after a long hike is so much better than the "comfort" I feel sitting on the couch.

FlyFishNut
07-20-2014, 21:33
I was supposed to do an overnighter trip this weekend, but the weather sucked so I postponed it. Instead, I stayed out too late last night and felt rough this morning.

So I read this post and then took a nap on the couch with my dogs... but this article motivated me to take the dog out for a 6 mile trek instead of wasting the day. (saw this little guy along the way)

Thanks for sharing.

FFN

Brer Sam
07-20-2014, 22:04
According to the article hiking downhill is two times more effective at removing blood sugars and improving glucose tolerance. Is this true?

flemdawg1
07-21-2014, 09:34
Hiking is healthy? When the alternative is sitting on a couch? "We hold these truths to be self-evident...."

I live in an active hiking community. The headquarters for the American Alpine Club, the Colorado Trail Foundation, and the Continental Divide Trial Coalition reside here, as well as offices for Outward Bound. There is a large county trails group, and many smaller private groups. I attend some of the gatherings for these organizations. It's not often in this country you can enter a roomful of people, many with gray hair, and not see a single roll of fat anywhere.

You forgot to mention Coors.

Coffee
07-21-2014, 09:51
Physical activity almost always makes me feel better. If I'm feeling lousy or even mildly sick (like a cold or even low fever like 99 degrees), going for a run usually makes me feel much better. Hardly ever fails. The only time I'll be inactive is if I have a high fever or some type of physical injury. It is rare when a physical injury precludes all activity. For example, I recently took up swimming occasionally to get some exercise in when I feel like my joints are overused from running.

Likeapuma
07-21-2014, 10:02
I've had a terrible bout with poison ivy the past week and a half... I want nothing more than to get outside & hike, but it's in all the wrong places. And I used to think a rash was bad down there lol.

I didn't realize that my 3-4 small hikes a week did so much for me.. Has me in a bit of a funk. Hope this heals up quickly!

FlyFishNut
07-21-2014, 16:26
In the words of my Old Man - an ex Marine, "Your hungover aren't you - go run 3 miles fast as you can. You may throw up but you'll feel better".

I'm amazed at those people that are sedentary- that never do ANYTHING. What must that be like?

I mean even if it's spin class, pilates or something (not judging). But to imagine a life without something that makes you sweat and struggle not to mention getting your "nature fix" from hiking, trail running , mt biking, paddling, etc. I don't get it. @likeapuma - I hope you get back-in-the-saddle soon.

rocketsocks
07-21-2014, 16:37
According to the article hiking downhill is two times more effective at removing blood sugars and improving glucose tolerance. Is this true?
Yes, It's true, the article did say that. :D

...found that interesting as well. :)