PDA

View Full Version : How do you Cook Fish on the Trail?

dla
07-20-2014, 12:13
I like to eat a fish now and then, and I used to make a tiny fire and roast the fish right on the coals. But fire restrictions seem to be the norm nowadays. I'm curious how others do it.

rocketsocks
07-20-2014, 12:20
I like to eat a fish now and then, and I used to make a tiny fire and roast the fish right on the coals. But fire restrictions seem to be the norm nowadays. I'm curious how others do it.
I read stories of fishermen smearing clay from the creek bank all over the fish, then putting then on hot coals, the fish steams inside. I just use tin foil, coarse you could pan fry it also it fire restrictions were an issue. If they allowed wood burning stoves, one could take a coffee can filled half with coals while laid flat, and stuff a fish in there,maybe one way around a no open fire restriction...o'coarse only if they allowed a wood stove during a fire ban, not likely though.

swisscross
07-20-2014, 12:43
Poached is my preference. Easy to clean up also.

Dogwood
07-20-2014, 12:53
It depends on what I'm primarily doing. If I'm hiking into remote fishing spots where the main goal is to fish and not thru-hike I'll bring along a small 5" wide frying pan and some olive oil and a bit of spices. In this situation I've smoked fish by pegging to a flat piece of wood; this is usually time consuming and I only do it when I've established a base camp. I usually go after trout and smaller species(smallmouth, crappie, bream, small largemouth etc) which usually aren't over 2 lbs. I may keep one larger fish though and cut it up into large chunks. I usually release very large fish. When I'm thru-hiking say in the Sierras, Cascades, Montana, etc where kit wt and time allowed to fish and prepare fish becomes a greater factor and fishing is a side past time I steam freshly caught fish between a layer of moss or dampened grasses over coals(not a raging fire!, you could do the same if you're carrying aluminum foil), fry on a flat thin slab of stone, roast raised/supported over a reduced fire by impaling a whole but gutted fish with a soaked stick, or sometimes chunk it up and add to soups, dinners, etc.

Damn Yankee
07-20-2014, 13:30
Pan fry with EVOO and spices

quasarr
07-20-2014, 18:21
I have just boiled them, not ideal but with fire restrictions you don't have much choice. Actually trout is pretty good mixed in with one of those Thai instant noodle meals.

Dogwood
07-20-2014, 18:40
I have just boiled them, not ideal but with fire restrictions you don't have much choice. Actually trout is pretty good mixed in with one of those Thai instant noodle meals.

Thai Kitchen rice noodle packets w/ added peanuts and sesame seeds into the Spring Onion version or creamed coconut/dehydrated coconut milk(coconut flakes could work too) and peanut butter added to the Garlic & Vegetable or Bangkok Curry versions WITH some folded in poached Sierras Brook Trout after the noodles are soft is yo yo yummy.

Odd Man Out
07-20-2014, 20:10
Yellowstone Lake used to have a steam vent in the lake where you could catch fish and cook it in the line. It was called Fishing Cone. But you can't do it any more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_Cone

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2014, 20:57
Poached is my preference. Easy to clean up also.

uh OK I poach a lot of stuff. lack of smoke and imparted flavor after years of cooking - I would give this a pass.

27800http://www.huntfishnw.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5145.0;attach=1049 5;image

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2014, 21:15
well tried to edit.. failed, keep in mind green saplings do not burn. Choose your wood carefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVqT7z7zPXE

dla
07-21-2014, 02:32
Here's how I do it when I can have a fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wqH_giCEVTQ

Old Hillwalker
07-21-2014, 06:17
I have used my Bakepacker to cook Brookies in a freezer bag. Used the Featherfire Stove. Worked out well.

zelph
07-21-2014, 07:15
You can use a variation of this method using the Venom Super Stove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxenLQXN-Wk

Another Kevin
07-21-2014, 21:28
There's nothing like a fresh trout cut up and steamed over real rice and dehydrated veggies and herbs. A stove that can simmer can do this. The juices from the fish help flavor everything else.

I'm not much of a fisherman, but I'll happily clean and cook a fish that someone else catches, if they'll let me have my share!

A lot of jurisdictions will allow you to throw fish entrails back in the water, that's where dead fish wind up anyway. Otherwise, use a cathole and bury them deep!

Rolls Kanardly
07-21-2014, 22:01
uh OK I poach a lot of stuff. lack of smoke and imparted flavor after years of cooking - I would give this a pass.

Hey WOW, got room on the smoker for this one? 1971 72 ehh it has been awhile. It was one of the smaller of the three that day. Rolls

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2014, 22:20
Hey if the tribe can do it so can we....thats a big one.. have you done that lately?

Rolls Kanardly
07-21-2014, 22:29
I have not been back home since 1973. I sure do miss it. My son had other things to do so about 12 years ago I quit buying a license. Maybe someday....

Rolls

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2014, 22:43
very cool!

RED-DOG
07-22-2014, 11:16
I usually will cut them up into Fillets, Bread them with corn meal and then fry them using a pan and my Pocket Rocket stove, but if i am in an area that doesn't have any restrictions on open flames like a camp fire, then i will Fillet them, Bread them then put them in Tin Foil and place them in the hot coals, Have you ever tried smoking fish, I was up in Alaska one time and me and two of my buddies was fishing for Salmon. one of my friends built a native Smoker right their on the beach and we smoked ever one we caught which was quite alot, and it was the best tasting fish i have ever had, thought i would throw this out their, Have a great time and enjoy it.

rocketsocks
07-22-2014, 14:26
My granny smokes craw dads. :D

QiWiz
07-22-2014, 19:59

I like to grill fish over a wood fire. A light grill helps, you do this. You can also steam the fish wrapped in foil, though I prefer the grilled taste.

lemon b
07-22-2014, 21:18
I'm a catch and release guy. But if I really want some fish nothing beats bullhead. Those rigs with the sticks by a completely cleaned fish near a fire look like it may work. But I take mine while not hiking a deep fry for breakfast. Much better tasting than trout.

thecyclops
07-22-2014, 23:54
My granny smokes craw dads. :D
LOL love that episode Roscket!!! Thats when they dressed up like robin hood...funny stuff.

thecyclops
07-22-2014, 23:54
***Rockets

rocketsocks
07-23-2014, 00:40
LOL love that episode Roscket!!! Thats when they dressed up like robin hood...funny stuff.
That's the one, definitely a classic.

Deer Hunter
07-23-2014, 07:53
That's the one, definitely a classic.

Is that the same episode where everybody does the "tater digger" or something like that?

thecyclops
07-23-2014, 15:56
Is that the same episode where everybody does the "tater digger" or something like that?
I dont think so...The whole family goes to England (Right Rocket?) and jethro wants to steal from the rich and...well you know.

Deer Hunter
07-23-2014, 16:24
I dont think so...The whole family goes to England (Right Rocket?) and jethro wants to steal from the rich and...well you know.

I was thinking the smoking crawdads was when Jethro and Ellie Mae went through the hippie phase.

rocketsocks
07-23-2014, 17:24

I was thinking the smoking crawdads was when Jethro and Ellie Mae went through the hippie phase.
Well I just can't seem to find it right now...seen lots a other goodn's though.

thecyclops
07-24-2014, 19:05
I just googled it and it seems there are 2 (at least) references to this.I know the one I seen was in color and the first one that pooped up on google was a black n white,so you very well may be right.

zelph
07-25-2014, 15:25
Watch how I use my ferro rod to ignite a small piece of paper towel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxenLQXN-Wk