PDA

View Full Version : ticks and short hair

squeezebox
07-21-2014, 09:14
I'm thinking maybe keeping my hair short for easier tick checks. A fairly short buzz cut on my head. Shaving my face when in town.
I used to shave my legs for bicycle racing, so I'm not against keeping leg and arm hair short also.
The tick problem seems to be getting more severe as time goes by!
A little work to be safe, & healthy just might be worth to trouble.
An oz. of prevention.
I'm not 20 yrs old and superman who can drink dirty water etc. and not get sick.
At over 60, The more I take care of myself the more likely I am to succeed.

soulrebel
07-21-2014, 09:41
I think having some hair is a good thing. On occassion, It gives you time to catch ticks crawling around before they bite. Downside the hair gives them something more to grab onto, but women that shave still get ticks as well so.... Hair helps protect you from scratches when walking through the brush or briars. You also save hundreds of dollars on haircuts and razors, cream, aftershave products. However, you might have to buy a brush, comb, or hat if you go long enough. If you have hair, let it grow if you can.

RED-DOG
07-21-2014, 10:00
I don't think it really matters if you got short hair or long, Ticks is gonna crawl on you and bite, best thing to do is daily tick checks, every day check your whole body for ticks, i know someone that got Lymes Disease from a tick that he picked up from mowing his Grass, so Lyme Disease is not just on the AT corridor you can catch Lymes from a tick by walking down the sidewalk in your town, so my advice to you is do Daily Tick Checks.

4Bears
07-21-2014, 15:41
I don't think the length of your hair makes any real difference, as I have picked ticks off my head with both long and short hair. Personally I prefer short hair now, much easier to maintain for me. Cut it once a month and can wash it every day if wanted or needed.

squeezebox
07-21-2014, 16:12
thinking that asking an attractive young woman if she wants to do a tick check might get me in trouble !!

Drybones
07-21-2014, 21:36
I've had ticks attach to the palm of my hand (the only tick bite that ever really bothered me) and other unmentioned places without hair.

rocketsocks
07-21-2014, 21:43
I've had ticks attach to the palm of my hand (the only tick bite that ever really bothered me) and other unmentioned places without hair.

What kind of a stupid tick bites someone on the hand, what an idiot, I gave ticks way more credit than that, wait till I tell Mr. Spider his cousin is an ignoramus and weakening the team.:D :)

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2014, 22:24
Long hair only matters to Bed Bugs... hence dogs and cats are not at risk.... but they love chicken.

Ticks? Deep Woods Off or Ultrathon..

Guess what was blazing a trail on Sunday and by Sunday night... another ring... in a place I didn't use a chemical...:eek: Damn.

Glacier
07-22-2014, 13:34
Unless arm/leg hair is really thick it probably doesn't matter much. I hose myself down in deep woods off just because it's extra hard to see them on me because I'm solid tattooed from back of my hands to shoulders and knee to ankle. Which you don't really think about while your getting inked.

The Solemates
07-22-2014, 14:26
I'm thinking maybe keeping my hair short for easier tick checks. A fairly short buzz cut on my head. Shaving my face when in town.
I used to shave my legs for bicycle racing, so I'm not against keeping leg and arm hair short also.
The tick problem seems to be getting more severe as time goes by!
A little work to be safe, & healthy just might be worth to trouble.
An oz. of prevention.
I'm not 20 yrs old and superman who can drink dirty water etc. and not get sick.
At over 60, The more I take care of myself the more likely I am to succeed.

I live in the southern woods, am outside a lot, and have 3 dogs....and therefore I pick ticks off of me all the time. Like at least once a week for 5 months of the year. I've probably had thousands of ticks on me in my lifetime. 99% of the time they are not on my head. thus, hair length would have no effect. You want to avoid ticks? Shaving your arms and legs may be more effective.