PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 4 day hike opinion

bonnie and will
07-22-2014, 22:33
My husband and I are planning our first short AT hike, we are considering the section from winding stair gap to the NOC. What is your opinion of this? We plan to go mid October. Do you have any advice? Do you suggest any other sections instead? We are in good shape, but we want it to be enjoyable, nice views, take our time.

blue indian
07-23-2014, 09:31
This section is awesome! Long climbs but you get rewarded. Highly recommended.

Gambit McCrae
07-23-2014, 11:10
I did not consider any part within50 miles of NOC physically enjoyable. Up and down. I would suggest a any section starting or ending with going thru the roan highlands. Or if your taking an airplane go up to new england.

bonnie and will
07-24-2014, 08:04
Thank you both! I will have to try these Roan Highlands sometime, I know you mentioned you have done them 4 times, Gambit. Maybe that will be our next trip, sounds like it might be much less up and down?

No Directions
07-24-2014, 08:19
I have hiked all of GA, most of TN and NC, and parts of VA, MD, WV and PA. I believe the Roan Highlands would be much more rewarding that the section you are planning to hike. While you will have several scenic vistas you will spend most of the time in the woods. The Roan Highlands offers more hiking with wide open views.

Gambit McCrae
07-24-2014, 08:39
As well if time allows you can get somewhat of a GREAT hostel experience staying at Mountain Harbor B&B, best breakfast on the trail that I have seen.

Ups and Downs-I think that there are some good climbs on Roan, but the view kind of elminates it from being difficult. As well I think shuttling will be easier there as well. Mountain Harbor does that as well. I would say Carvers gap to Dennis Cove would be a great hike for you and your time available. That is 40-41 miles. I would look at the weather, and try and overlap the Roan Balds with the best weather part of my trip, so either start the hike with the highlands or finish it.