PDA

View Full Version : 3 day group hike in GA - plan for April or May?

hellokiddo
07-22-2014, 23:00
I'm turning the big 3-oh in April and I'm planning my first ever AT hike to celebrate :) A group of about half a dozen friends are joining me and while I'd love to wake up on the trail on my actual birthday in April, we are all true Floridians and I worry about the temps. What is early April like? Is there a better month to go for a short hike? Also, is it rude to "take up trail space" in early April when so many thru-hikers are hopping on and we are just casual backpackers?

Thanks in advance!

TNhiker
07-22-2014, 23:16
Weather depends upon where ya go......

I would keep the group to under 8 but hey, the trail is just as much yours as anyone else's.....

Ricky&Jack
07-23-2014, 00:00
also, april and may is when a majority of thru-hikers of the appalachian trail start their trip. So you will see TONS of hikers in that time. Shelters will probably fill up early and you will see people probably every couple minutes hiking.

HooKooDooKu
07-23-2014, 00:51
...is it rude to "take up trail space" in early April when so many thru-hikers are hopping on and we are just casual backpackers?
Thru hikers have no greater claim to the AT than casual, weekend, or simply day hikers.

Of course some thru hikers might feel they are more entitled to the trail... and the simple fact you're asking the question sort of points in the direction that apparently some people do feel thru hikers are more entitled to the AT than others... regardless of how wrong they might be.

Your only real concern should be the points Ricky made about dealing with the crowd.

As for weather, I don't know about North GA, but I can supply you with the following climate data for the GSMNP just a little ways north.
April - Hi/Lo for the Valleys (~2,000') 71º/42º
April - Hi/Lo for the Mtns (~6,500) 49º/38º
May - Hi/Lo for the Valleys (~2,000') 79º/50º
May - Hi/Lo for the Mtns (~6,500) 57º/43º

When I've looked at climate data for Atlanta, I've found it to be within a couple degrees of the Valley Hi/lo shown above.

But the thing to note is that the actual temperatures you encounter could easily be +/-15º. That means, depending upon where you go, you could get temperatures as high as mid-80's in April, and mid 90's in May, or as cold as low 20's in April, and around freezing in May.

I would say that if you have a good 3-season bag (20º rating), you'll be fine for either month. If you have more of a 2-1/2 season bag (32º rating), you might want to lean towards May just to play it safe.