PDA

View Full Version : Central VA Question

gwb
07-23-2014, 11:24
My next section hike starts out of Waynesboro VA, heading South. I like to start out slow 10 miles a day or so to start... My question is about the first day out of Waynesboro. The Paul Wolf Shelter is only 5.2 miles. For anyone familiar with this section of trail, are there any camping spots betweem Paul Wolf Shelter and the North side of Humpback Mtn? I see there is a spring listed at mm 1336.7 and was thinking there might be something there?
Thanks in advance. Happy Hiking.

jimmyjam
07-23-2014, 12:53
Not that i remember. There are s few just south of humpback and then a nice spot about a mile or so past on the cliffs looking toward wintergreen ski resort but no water source.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Studlintsean
07-23-2014, 13:42
My next section hike starts out of Waynesboro VA, heading South. I like to start out slow 10 miles a day or so to start... My question is about the first day out of Waynesboro. The Paul Wolf Shelter is only 5.2 miles. For anyone familiar with this section of trail, are there any camping spots betweem Paul Wolf Shelter and the North side of Humpback Mtn? I see there is a spring listed at mm 1336.7 and was thinking there might be something there?
Thanks in advance. Happy Hiking.

I don't have the map in front of me but when I hiked this section I camped ~ 5 miles past Paul Wolfe at Humpback Rocks. There were a few nice spots. There was a spring (which I hear is not too reliable) just before the turnoff on the right. The spring was dry when I was there last October but it was around a hurricane so I was able to filter weater from puddles in the rocks. Hope this helps

Damn Yankee
07-23-2014, 13:58
I was there a couple weeks ago. I started at Reeds Gap heading North to Rockfish Gap. There were 2-3 established sites south of the shelter around 3.6m and also a few between there and Humpback. Piped springs were flowing and also a nice stream at the shelter also lots of rasberries and blueberries

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-23-2014, 14:34
I was there a couple weeks ago. I started at Reeds Gap heading North to Rockfish Gap. There were 2-3 established sites south of the shelter around 3.6m and also a few between there and Humpback. Piped springs were flowing and also a nice stream at the shelter also lots of rasberries and blueberries

It was a good hike and the water was clear and cold :)

There is a visitor's center right by Humpback on the BRP just a short hike up on a blue-blaze trail with a water fountain outside at the front of the building, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerosene
07-23-2014, 15:46
Note that the trail from Rockfish Gap to the Paul Wolfe Shelter is some of the easiest trail you'll encounter on the AT!

I ended up hiking 21 miles all the way to Maupin Field Shelter, in part because a storm was expected that evening but the first 10 miles were easier than I anticipated. After a 7 am start I had covered 11 miles by 11 am, and trudged into Maupin Field at 4 o'clock after slowing down about mile 18 when I knew I'd beat the storm.

FarmerChef
07-23-2014, 17:43
Note that the trail from Rockfish Gap to the Paul Wolfe Shelter is some of the easiest trail you'll encounter on the AT!

I ended up hiking 21 miles all the way to Maupin Field Shelter, in part because a storm was expected that evening but the first 10 miles were easier than I anticipated. After a 7 am start I had covered 11 miles by 11 am, and trudged into Maupin Field at 4 o'clock after slowing down about mile 18 when I knew I'd beat the storm.

I'll second this. The trail was super smooth, easy and Paul C Wolf was such a nice shelter we wished we weren't on our last day just so we could stay there.