PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion for a 5 day hike with trail towns?

HarrisonTX
07-23-2014, 16:27
Is it unrealistic to find a nice section of the trail with a couple towns 30 miles apart?
I've been trying to do my first section hike for about 3 years and I finally have the cash and about 9 days off.
With such little prep time (looking to hike the last week of august), and this being my vacation and all, I'd like to stay in a town about every other night. Drink some beers, shower, and meet people. My problem is I just cant quite find a 60-80 mile section that passes through several towns.

Looking forward to the responses. Thanks guys.

Ricky&Jack
07-23-2014, 16:40
if you want to drink with others, etc you may way to actually narrow your search to "a section with 3 hostels about 30 miles apart" etc. Because Hostels are the BEST place to find hikers etc to hang out with.

While most hostels do NOT allow alcohol, I'm sure you would find drinking buddies and a bar near by.

Coffee
07-23-2014, 17:22
A suggestion based on part of my section hike this spring. The only "town" on this suggested itinerary is Harper's Ferry but there are other small towns in Maryland and I've listed a number of hostels which are good for meeting other hikers, but usually not so much for drinking beers.

Day 1: Start at Ashby Gap in Northern Virginia (US 50 crossing) and hike to Bear's Den Hostel (13.5 miles including much of the "roller coaster")
Day 2: Bear's Den Hostel to Harper's Ferry (20 miles). Stay at Teahorse Hostel about a mile from at HF ATC office.
Day 3: Teahorse Hostel to campsite at Dahlgren Campsite (17.2 miles). Shower facilities, eat at restaurant near campsite if desired (I didn't)
Day 4: Dahlgren Campsite to Free State Hostel (13.7 miles). I didn't stay there but heard good things from several hikers.
Day 5: Free State Hostel to PenMar (10 miles).

Come to think of it, you could go SOBO and start with easier terrain leaving the Roller Coaster for the end.

It would also be possible to start at Harper's Ferry and go SOBO, staying at Bear's Den the first night, camping the second night, staying at Front Royal the third night, and then continuing on into Shenandoah National Park (waysides and campgrounds, and lodging at Skyland and Big Meadows).

I put this together quickly looking at AWOL's guide - be sure to double check my mileage figures.

Whatever you decide on, have a great hike!

FarmerChef
07-23-2014, 17:33
Off the top of my head I would recommend New York. It's possible to hit a town or food stop almost every day there, at least in some capacity.

Ricky&Jack
07-23-2014, 18:07
Off the top of my head I would recommend New York. It's possible to hit a town or food stop almost every day there, at least in some capacity.

and a Deli every other step. :)

HarrisonTX
07-23-2014, 19:45
A suggestion based on part of my section hike this spring. The only "town" on this suggested itinerary is Harper's Ferry but there are other small towns in Maryland and I've listed a number of hostels which are good for meeting other hikers, but usually not so much for drinking beers.

Day 1: Start at Ashby Gap in Northern Virginia (US 50 crossing) and hike to Bear's Den Hostel (13.5 miles including much of the "roller coaster")
Day 2: Bear's Den Hostel to Harper's Ferry (20 miles). Stay at Teahorse Hostel about a mile from at HF ATC office.
Day 3: Teahorse Hostel to campsite at Dahlgren Campsite (17.2 miles). Shower facilities, eat at restaurant near campsite if desired (I didn't)
Day 4: Dahlgren Campsite to Free State Hostel (13.7 miles). I didn't stay there but heard good things from several hikers.
Day 5: Free State Hostel to PenMar (10 miles).

Come to think of it, you could go SOBO and start with easier terrain leaving the Roller Coaster for the end.

It would also be possible to start at Harper's Ferry and go SOBO, staying at Bear's Den the first night, camping the second night, staying at Front Royal the third night, and then continuing on into Shenandoah National Park (waysides and campgrounds, and lodging at Skyland and Big Meadows).

I put this together quickly looking at AWOL's guide - be sure to double check my mileage figures.

Whatever you decide on, have a great hike!

That actually sounds like a great plan. I'd actually prefer to hit the hills on the first day and get over the hardest part!
Thank you so much.