PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks "Arc Zip" Front Panel Loader

Abela
07-23-2014, 16:40
Hey All,

I do not post often here at WB but I do visit a lot.

Yesterday ZPacks released a new backpack called the "Arc Zip" which is a backpack that I have been working on designing for the last two years.

I know a lot of folks here at WB are old school hikers that understand and appreciate front panel loaders, so thought I would share it with all of you.

It has been a really fun project for me and it is great to see it up for sale for my fellow front panel lovers.

You can read some of the story behind my process of building this new backpack at: http://hikelighter.com/2014/07/22/zpacks-arc-zip-backpack/

It is available for sale at: http://zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_zip.shtml

If anybody ends up buying one of these I would love to know about it - and would really love to hear your thoughts once you have some miles on it!!

Thanks everybody.

ChuckT
07-25-2014, 05:25
Where were you in May when I was buying my 62L!
I've not tried any ZPacks so I've got to comment based on the picture. And that would be that the waistbelt looks skimpy to me. Also the verbiage for the internal compression straps could be clearer.

Abela
07-25-2014, 06:54
Hey Chuck,

Where were you in May when I was buying my 62L!

Out on the trail testing a prototype :-D

I've not tried any ZPacks so I've got to comment based on the picture. And that would be that the waistbelt looks skimpy to me. Also the verbiage for the internal compression straps could be clearer.

The design of the hipbelt, the shoulder straps and the patent pending arc carbon fiber support were the three features of the pack design that were beyond things I had control over in the design of this new front panel loading backpack. They are the same across all of the ZPacks Arc series so they were not something I could change.

The hipbelt is not as thick or as padded as some other packs out there, for sure. However, its typically understood that these Arc backpacks tend to have a max load of 30 pounds, so a super thick padded hipbelt is usually not necessary. Unlike packs like ULA, Osprey, Deuters, and Gregory style packs with crazy thick padding that are typically designed to handle 45+ pounds. That said, I do wish that ZPacks made the hip belts a bit thicker and that they offered S-style shoulder straps.

And I highly recommend getting the 'Lumbar Pad' if you buy one... if not two of them, which is what I end up needing.

Venchka
07-25-2014, 08:03
Congratulations! It is always nice to see one's creations working out in the real world.
Too bad about the limitations beyond your control.
This makes me appreciate my ArcFlex Terraplane more every day. I can't see the carbon fiber frame stays. I'm just glad that they are there. "Everything old is new again."
All the best to you!

Wayne

ChuckT
07-25-2014, 09:18
Well buying a new will have to wait now.
While 60L may look like a lot on paper in the real world is another matter. I've wondered if there wasn't a better volume descriptor. After I gather my kit together I need to whittle it down some to fit in today's packs. A hammock + a tarp + a bag + an under quilt + cooking + rain gear then food and water (gear) and I'm running low on space.
Love the fact that the front pocket is sewn on rather than in! Makes the volume honest.