PDA

View Full Version : pack weight of folks leaving from Springer Mountain

DavidNH
10-05-2005, 20:30
Hi,

I am curious to know..what is the typical pack weight of would be north bound thru hikers as they leave from Springer Mountain (or from Amicolola Falls if they are doing the Approach trail). What I want to know is not the weight that they should carry or is advisable to carry but the pack weight that the average hiker is actually carrying? would it be 35-40? 50 plus? What percentage of the would be thru hikers would you say are starting with light weight packs (30 pounds or less)?

What is the heaviest pack weight that you know of of a successful thru hiker? is their any specific weight that is sort of a cut off where if one goes above things go down hill fast in terms of comfort and endurance?

thanks,

David

Lone Wolf
10-05-2005, 20:32
I've left Springer going NOBO about 18 times and my pack always weighed around 40 lbs.

Almost There
10-05-2005, 20:48
Alright this is sorta funny. I've been up that way quite a bit as I live just south of Springer. I would say average pack weight is between 40-50lbs. I've seen people with up to 70lbs of gear as they leave Springer. Wes usually sets them straight at Mountain Crossings(Neel's Gap). They tend to pack too much food and clothes. Also some people seem to think they'll need mountaineering type gear. He sends home upwards of 3000lbs of gear a year for thru hikers carrying too much gear. I would say start with what you need, but carry what you think you'll need and after you get to Neel's you most likely will pare down your gear weight. It seems only past section hikers, attempted thru's, and past thru's are the one's with 30lbs or less. I'm still between 30-40lbs, and closer to 40, but I also weigh upwards of 220lbs so that weight is more than manageable. My favorite though is people loaded with 40lbs who are in an ultralight pack. The pack is brutal on them because it really shouldn't carry the weight regardless of what the company says.

Frosty
10-05-2005, 21:57
My favorite though is people loaded with 40lbs who are in an ultralight pack. The pack is brutal on them because it really shouldn't carry the weight regardless of what the company says.Yes and no. The Gossaamer Gear Mariposa at 18 oz will hold forty pounds. I've put 35 in it once testing it out when I first got it (want to use it for winter backpacking - more weight). it was fine.

The key is suspension and support. Most ultralight bags are just sacks. Put more than 20 pounds in them and they hang on your shoulders like a sack of potatoes. The Mariposa has two stays and a pocket to hold a 20" wide pad (Z-rest, for instance) next to your back that gives it the feel of a sturdy pack. Also, the shoulder straps are wide.

Frosty
10-05-2005, 22:07
Hi,

I am curious to know..what is the typical pack weight of would be north bound thru hikers as they leave from Springer Mountain (or from Amicolola Falls if they are doing the Approach trail). What I want to know is not the weight that they should carry or is advisable to carry but the pack weight that the average hiker is actually carrying? would it be 35-40? 50 plus? What percentage of the would be thru hikers would you say are starting with light weight packs (30 pounds or less)?

What is the heaviest pack weight that you know of of a successful thru hiker? is their any specific weight that is sort of a cut off where if one goes above things go down hill fast in terms of comfort and endurance?

thanks,

DavidLast April it seemed to me that most of the packs were in the 40-50 pound range, including food/water. Mine weighed 23 pounds leaving SPringer with 3 days food. At least one hiker had a lighter bag. There were a few 30-35 pound bags. Mostly people had too much clothing, heay tents (5-6 pound range) and stuff like deoderant and multi-pot cooksets.

The packs were almost all internal frame, in the 4-6 pound range. Comfy to carry, I'm sure.

I weigh 250 myself, and theoretically could carry quite a bit. But my knees think otherwise. Also, my knees are not fooled by fancy packs that transfer weight from my shoulders to my hips. It may feel more comfortable to me, but according to my knees it doesn't mater if the weight in on hips or shoulders - they don't like it.

I heard of a guy who started with 90 pounds of gear including lots of canned goods, but my favorite personal meeting is a guy having breakfast a couple miles north of Neels Gap. He had the biggest external fram pack I've ever seen. I had to ask. He was carrying 25 days worth of food, and his pack at the time was 70 pounds according to what the folks at Mountain Crossings told him. I asked why he carried so much food, and he said he didn't want to waste time getting off the trail to re-supply. He was making about five miles a day, but said he'd do more when he "ate down more of the pack weight."

On the other hand, me and my light pack didn't make it past Dick's Creek Gap and for all I know this guy is still walking.

Whatever works.

Almost There
10-05-2005, 22:35
Frosty I hear ya', but I have a Mystery Ranch Deep Trance, and it's a great pack for sub 40lbs, but using only the small hip pads it killed me coming north out of Dick's Creek Gap, after an all day uphill I could barely lift my legs with the way it was falling on my hips. So I am back to my Gregory Palisade for now. it's almost 7lbs, but it is so comfortable I don't even notice it much of the time. Eventually when I get my light gear all together I will go back to the Deep Trance, but I still need a down sleeping bag for cold weather. Summerwise I am all good.

Sleepy the Arab
10-05-2005, 23:40
I've been at Springer three times and each time my pack has weighed 55 pounds. Nothing I do, add or take away can alter this. I have since concluded it is an otherworldly phenomena of my pack, and expect it to appear on Lost any day now.

Footslogger
10-06-2005, 09:38
Not sure if it's typical but in 2001 I left Springer with a pack weighing 55 lbs. That was about the time I started the "enlightenment" process. In 2003 I left Springer and my pack weight had dropped to 43 lbs but I wasn't done yet. During my hike I managed to replace my heavier Gregory pack with a Vapor Trail and by the time I dumped my cold weather clothing/gear I was down to 28lbs (with 4 days of food and 2 liters of water).

If I was leaving from Springer tomorrow my pack weight would be right around 26 - 28 lbs. Once you get it down to that level you never want to carry a heavy pack again.

'Slogger

The Solemates
10-06-2005, 09:50
My pack weight in the dead of winter (2/1) starting from Springer weighed 34lbs, which included 3 days food. That was 15.7% of my body weight. My wife's pack, in the same conditions, weighed 26lbs. That was 19.3% of her body weight.

Of course, my pack weight fluctuated a lot, upwards to 40lbs or so, depending on the amount of food I carried. It fluctuated downward, once it started getting warmer, and with only a day's worth of food or so, all the way down to 22lbs.

max patch
10-06-2005, 10:10
I'm sure its not typical today, but I left Springer on my thru with a 50 pound pack (5 days of food) and had no problems. During the course of my hike I dropped about 5 pounds of gear. Didn't use "trekking poles" and my knees are still going strong.

jackiebolen
10-06-2005, 10:18
When I left, my pack weighed about 25 pounds, including food and water and fuel. I was the only one in my starting group that had anything close to this low. In fact, most fellow hikers viewed me as a little bit freaky (in terms of gear). Most of the people I was with had 40 + pounds. They soon warmed up to my way of thinking once the real hiking began!

Seeker
10-07-2005, 00:49
the original post was a good question, but i'm curious about the other end of the trail... what weight were the packs coming off the other end, after 2000+miles of experience?

also, one of us, i forget who, has the funniest avatar... it's a guy carrying this HUGE pack... it towers over him... even shades him from the sun, from the looks of it... anyone know what i'm talking about? always wondered about the guy in the picture, who he was, where he was going, and how come he was carrying so much stuff...

atbeatle
10-07-2005, 02:24
I started with 60+ lbs, and had about 85 in the whites and maine when I had to carry more than a week's worth of food

The Solemates
10-07-2005, 09:11
the original post was a good question, but i'm curious about the other end of the trail... what weight were the packs coming off the other end, after 2000+miles of experience?

ours were virtually the same weight.

Red Hat
10-07-2005, 11:31
Obviously, hikers that start under 30 lbs will end up carrying under 30 lbs, sometimes under 20.... Hikers that start over 40 lbs, generally end up around 30 lbs, by the end of the hike. You learn what you really need and what you don't. Red Hat

Almost There
10-09-2005, 02:13
The thing that seems to get weight down is new gear and carrying less food. Another method is cameling up, or carrying less water and simply filling the tank at water sources. I go with two liters carried from now on, and simply drink two liters on top of this whenever I stop. The other thing you can do is to carry cold or dry food and leave the stove and fuel at home. This cuts both space and weight. I agree with previous posters though when they say once you get to 30lbs or less you never want to go back. I almost have all of my lightweight gear now, but I still need a lighter three season sleep bag, and eventually want to get a specific lighter pack, but for now the two packs I own will work for me. Just got my new tent which weighs two pounds less than the last tent I carried. All told when through my base three will be around 10lbs, for now it's closer to 15lbs.

bearbag hanger
10-09-2005, 06:48
In 2004, I started with about 42 lbs at Springer and ended with about 30 lbs in Maine. Right now, for winter weather, I'm at about 35 and for summer, about 30 lbs. That's with about four days of food and three liters of water.

TAMBOURINE
10-09-2005, 06:48
Ok What Pack Would Be Best For Me I Have A Kelty 3000 And I Am 5"8 And Weigh 110 I Am Probally The Smallest Hiker Out There I Need Heeeeelp Lol...thanks

SGT Rock
10-09-2005, 06:52
Ok What Pack Would Be Best For Me I Have A Kelty 3000 And I Am 5"8 And Weigh 110 I Am Probally The Smallest Hiker Out There I Need Heeeeelp Lol...thanks
How much weight and volume do you carry?

Cedar Tree
10-09-2005, 07:22
I started 2/13/00 with a Kelty Dune (over 6 lb empty) with 45 lbs. At Harper's Ferry Outfitters I sent home some winter gear, and bought a new pack. I left HF at 28 lbs. Now, for 2 - 3 day section hikes, my pack weighs about 22 lbs.
CT

Frosty
10-09-2005, 09:39
The thing that seems to get weight down is new gear and carrying less food. Another method is cameling up, or carrying less water and simply filling the tank at water sources. This is one of the reasons I went back to a water filter instead of chemicals. With the wait required with chenical use, I couldn't really tank up at water sources unless I wanted to wait, which I never did.

So I bought a lighter filter (PUR hiker), tossed the fancy carrying bag, adapters, and outlet hose. I carry the pump and inlet ose only, and it weighs 11.75 ounces.

When I get to a water source out of water and thirsty, I can drink right away, which I couldn't do with chemicals. I drink until I can't stand to drink more, then pump unough water to get to the next source. This does require a map, so add another3 ounces to my pump weight.

BUT...I only carry enough water to get me to the next source. It's okay if I guess wrong and am out of water by then because I can pump up and drink immediately. Had I wanted to drink immediately with chemical purification, I would hav had to carry that water from the last source to here.

Gererally, unless it is very hot or there is a long dry spell ahead, I carry a 20 ounce gator ade bottle full, with a couple ounces of water as emergency in my 32 ounce gator ade bottle (my camp/cooking bottle) which I stick in my pack.

I believe this method results in carrying less weight than use of chemicals, BUT you have to be willing to plan where the next water is AND you have to accpet that you will sometimes run out of water too soon. You won't die, and you will develop a whole new appreciation of cool, clear water. (When I run out of water, I don't ask fellow hikers for a drink. That is patently unfair, as it is my choice to hike this way. To ask them to carry water for me is poor trail ettiquette IMO. Sort of like braging how light your pack is and then constantly asking other hikers what time it is, to look at their maps, to use their stove when you run out of fuel, for bandaids, Ibuprofen, etc etc.)

lobster
10-09-2005, 11:46
Agree with that last bit, Frosty.

By the way, I am not sure that going without a stove lowers pack weight? Isn't the new food heavier than the Oodles of Noodles, etc.

Youngblood
10-09-2005, 12:08
Agree with that last bit, Frosty.

By the way, I am not sure that going without a stove lowers pack weight? Isn't the new food heavier than the Oodles of Noodles, etc.Depends on how you do it. My buddy, Wolfhound, told me that he rehydrated Ramen Noodles with cold water, used packets of seasoning, mayo and other stuff to fix cold salads which he said were very tasty and saved the weight of a stove. I haven't backpacked with him in a couple of years but he is pretty hard core into the light weight stuff... he used esbit tabets for fuel and rocks for a pot stand (until he dumped his dinner one time). I suspect he doesn't use a pan when he does this, probably a margarine tub or something of that nature.

Seems like he told me heavy mosquito populations when he hiked the PCT might have encouraged him to forgo cooking and quickly escape to his tent. He liked it and then refined his technique to come up with something he liked better than cooking and having warm food... I don't think he would have stayed with it if he had to add weight.

Youngblood

Footslogger
10-09-2005, 12:26
[QUOTE=Frosty]This is one of the reasons I went back to a water filter instead of chemicals. With the wait required with chenical use, I couldn't really tank up at water sources unless I wanted to wait, which I never did.
=============================================
Yeah ...it does take a little more water planning but I'm not ready to dig out my PUR Hiker quite yet. My approach is to capture some water whenever I pass it and there's room in my platy or 20 oz bottle. That way I've always got some water ready to drink and some undergoing purification. Besides ...as I mentioned in an earlier post, after carrying a filter for years I became pretty skeptical about how well it was really working on a distance hike, especially after have been used, re-used and repeatedly put away wet. Nothing like a warm damp environment to breed bugs.

Anyway ...the whole subject of water filtering/purification is very subjective. In the end, each of us has to do their own research and adopt a method that makes them feel comfortable, which for some means NO filtration/purification at all.

I'm thirsty now.

'Slogger

TAMBOURINE
10-09-2005, 13:32
How much weight and volume do you carry? usually like 40

eric_plano
10-09-2005, 15:01
When I left Springer this year I was carrying 38lbs. I felt ok with it at the time but wasn't very happy with the feel of the pack after a while.week.

I was using:
Mt Smith Circuit 5400 Pack - 89oz
Tarptent Virga2 - ~32oz
Mt Hardwear 15degree bag - 58oz

For my next run in '06 I dumped the "Buy sale items on Campmor route" and I believe I've had success:

ULA P2 Pack - 51oz
Tarptent Virga2 - 32oz
GoLite Feather Bag 27oz.

So the weight of my big three is now 6.9lbs, just a pound over the weight of my original pack. That makes me :banana .

I also dumped my heavy weight duofold tops/bottoms (2lbs of weight) and replaced my Columbia Fleece with a Montbell Down Jacket. I tossed my REI E1 Rain/wind jacket for a Precip. The oz's saved in clothing replacements is crazy.

I do blame all of you for my pack weight obsession, of course. :D
On the upside I have an entire set of gear for brother to use when he wants to do shorter hikes with me.

billdnc
10-12-2005, 18:19
My 19 y.o. son Sean aka Wanderer, is SOBO currently in Hot Springs almost at the end of his hike. He started on Katahdin with a twenty pound base weight pack(that I thought was ultralite). His base weight quickly became about seven pounds. I.e. Golite Dawn 14 oz., MHardwear Phantom 21 oz., Ridgerest cut down to 34 in. 6 oz, siltarp 9 oz., milar space blanket 4 oz, two aky stoves, pot stand, windscreen, MSR titan, 7oz., two Playtpus bags, ultralite rain jacket 11 oz. - and not much else. He is wearing a MH kilt, synthethic t-shirt and Chaco sandals. Because he travels fast, he rarely has to carry more than three days worth of food. His experience has taught me a lot about my pre conceived notions of what I need to backpack after forty years of experience, mainly with pack weights in the 50 to 70 lb. area. I think that getting light has more to do with an attitude about what you actually need than the new lighter weight gear.

Frosty
10-12-2005, 20:35
, after carrying a filter for years I became pretty skeptical about how well it was really working on a distance hike, especially after have been used, re-used and repeatedly put away wet. Nothing like a warm damp environment to breed bugs.I've wondered about this myself, though more about my water bag and bite valve on my platypus. I can wash out the hose, but the inside of the bite valve stays wet. Likewise the inside of my platypus bladder never gets dry. Even if I wash it, it still is wet inside when I put it away.

frieden
10-13-2005, 12:43
[QUOTE=FootsloggerBesides ...as I mentioned in an earlier post, after carrying a filter for years I became pretty skeptical about how well it was really working on a distance hike, especially after have been used, re-used and repeatedly put away wet. Nothing like a warm damp environment to breed bugs.

Anyway ...the whole subject of water filtering/purification is very subjective. In the end, each of us has to do their own research and adopt a method that makes them feel comfortable, which for some means NO filtration/purification at all.
'Slogger[/QUOTE]
I've wondered how you can tell, if the filter is working. I was going to get a SteriPen, but there is no way to tell when it stops working. I use the Ionic Breeze GP units in the house (couldn't live in here without them, BTW). They have the blue light that kills bacteria. However, if you read the fine print that comes in the manual, it states that the blue light will continue to shine, even when the bacteria killing ability has ended. It is suggested to change the bulb on a schedule to eliminate this risk. However, how do you know the new bulb works? Cleaning the air in the house is one thing, but relying on it to purify the water you are chugging down is quite another. I'll dump food, in order to have reliable water. I guess I'll go with a filter, and carry tablets as a backup. Everyone seems to be spit on this issue, so I guess there isn't one perfect system. Has anyone used the SteriPen?

frieden
10-13-2005, 12:45
"split"! Everyone seems to be split on this issue. Sorry!

beartrack1
10-13-2005, 15:43
One Easter Sunday 2005 I left Springer Mountain with about 58 pounds on my back. I changed out a few items at Neel Gap which brought my weight to around 48 pounds. As I progressed farther up the trail I began to add weight again by packing more food for longer durations between supply points and by carrying up to a gallon of water during the more hot and humid days. Once I got rid of the winter clothing and my sleeping bag the weight came down to about 45 pounds including the gallon of water. It may seem like a lot of water but the springs were drying up this summer and I actually needed more water with me on several days.

MacGyver (alias Beartrack)

justusryans
10-13-2005, 19:08
Has anyone used the SteriPen?

We use a steripen, so far no problems. we still prefilter to get rid of floaters though. Light should be changed every 5000 uses.:D

Seeker
10-13-2005, 22:38
I've wondered about this myself, though more about my water bag and bite valve on my platypus. I can wash out the hose, but the inside of the bite valve stays wet. Likewise the inside of my platypus bladder never gets dry. Even if I wash it, it still is wet inside when I put it away.
don't know if this will help, as i'm talking about my plain 2l platypus bladder, not one for a hydration system... but i hang it up with a clothespin, open end down for a day to drain, then open end up til it dries, out in my garage (which is usually pretty hot.) the water inside eventually turns to vapor and travels up, out of the bladder... seems to work better that way then leaving it inverted the whole time... and it takes about 3 days, but it does eventually dry out...

Jack Tarlin
10-13-2005, 22:48
In the old days, people habitually left Springer with 45-65 pounds, and in some cases more.

I think most folks today are in the 35 to 50 pound range. When I was in Hot Springs NC this past spring helping out my friends at the Outfitter's there, most folks seemed to be around 35-40 odd pounds, and this was 270 miles into the trip, so people were presumably a bit lighter than they were back at the very beginning, having shed some of their un-needed things, and perhaps gotten more knowledgable about their food needs, clothing requirements, etc.

Singe03
10-14-2005, 16:08
I left Springer in 2003 with (I think) 42 lbs with 5 days food, a full fuel bottle and quite a bit more water than I needed. I was doing pretty well when I compared that to the pack weights of others around me. Being from a hotter climate, hydration was a huge concern of mine so I tended to overload in that regard.

Ironically, getting water was the least of our worries in April and May of 03, getting away from it for even a few minutes was far more important to us...

By Damascus I had cut that down to around 25 lbs fully loaded with a few gear changes like dropping a tent for a hammock, MSR stove for Alco, but mainly with just increasing confidence and a better understanding of what I needed, what I wanted and getting rid of what I could do without. I could look back at what I carried off Springer and be quite convinced I was completely insane that I thought I needed (XYZ).

The confidence factor is something I do not think can be ignored, it is alot easier to part with something after 400 miles of not using it than it is to scratch it off a list sitting at home wondering what it is like out there.

neighbor dave
10-15-2005, 22:16
mine weighed anywhere from 30 to 40 lbs over the entire trip. 153 days later i walked down from the summit of katahdin a very happy hiker.

in 2001 i hiked the new england section of the trail with a pack that weighed 8 lbs empty!!you'll get used to anything you're carrying,or you'll get rid of it!:clap :banana :jump