PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a training trail...

hikehunter
07-23-2014, 18:17
I am looking for a good winter training trail in Northern New Mexico or southern Colorado. Planning on a 3 to 4 day trip...
a loop, an out & back,...something that will have snow and below 35 deg. stuff. I am looking for a mod. to slightly hard trail.
I don't want to climb rocks. I have snow clamp ons to help in snow/ice. If it is 12 plus inch snow it could prove to be a little much.
Post your suggestions and ideas.....thanks:cool:

Dogwood
07-23-2014, 18:55
Why NM or CO? You aren't that far from Fort Smith Arkansas where you could hike: Ozark Highlands Trail or Quachita Trail during a cold spell after dropping some fluff.

Lone Wolf
07-23-2014, 19:37
training for what? backpacking is just walkin' with weight. seriously. what do you mean?

Ricky&Jack
07-23-2014, 20:02
probably just means a relatively easy trail to hike "for fun and experience/trail-legs".

I'm thinking he wants a trail to learn on, but not wear himself out, and risk injury.

hikehunter
07-23-2014, 22:18
The last time I did any real winter hiking in the snow was many years ago. I want to prep for my 2015 Feb. start of the AT. Rain hiking no problems...hot sunny humid hiking no problem....the white cold wet stuff makes things slower and more difficult. I have not done a hike in many years that had more than a light dusting of snow. I have been hiking for 30 plus years. ( BSA, on my own , with friends and foes. )
done parts of AT,PCT,CDT,and a few others. I have never done more than a 21 day trail hike. I want to get the body and soul ready for a walk across the country....(and I may have my novice niece and son with me).

rocketsocks
07-23-2014, 22:42
hikehunter, growing up in Ft. Worth I didn't see snow much as a kid, Truth be told I only remember one snow fall there, it felt like a foot, but was likely an inch as I was shorter then :D so I see where your coming from. Good luck finding snow and on your hike across the Country. :)

there are a few others from your area who are members here, that may be able to point ya to some good hiking, I cannot, been gone for years and years and years.

rocketsocks
07-23-2014, 22:46
hikehunter, growing up in Ft. Worth I didn't see snow much as a kid, Truth be told I only remember one snow fall there, it felt like a foot, but was likely an inch as I was shorter then :D so I see where your coming from. Good luck finding snow and on your hike across the Country. :)

there are a few others from your area who are members here, that may be able to point ya to some good hiking, I cannot, been gone for years and years and years.Ricky's map shows a few, there are others, PM me for a couple more...I'm sure they would mind a PM from you asking for info.

rocketsocks
07-23-2014, 22:46
Ricky's map shows a few, there are others, PM me for a couple more...I'm sure they would mind a PM from you asking for info.
well shoot...blew the shift, here ya go.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?authuser=1&hl=en&hl=en&mid=zPEStuluLWMc.kFLvkB_OUYf8

rocketsocks
07-23-2014, 22:49
Ricky's map shows a few, there are others, PM me for a couple more...I'm sure they wouldn't mind a PM from you asking for info.damn it all to hell.....ugh! :o wouldn't mind.