PDA

View Full Version : Best Sleeping Pad for Side Sleeper

Que Sera
07-24-2014, 09:54
I'm a side sleeper and have noticed that my hips always hurt after a night in my tent (and I have a good deal of built-in natural padding too). I also end up tossing and turning from side to side a lot to give my hips a break and therefore end up with very low quality of sleep.

I assumed that an inflatable pad would be the best way to go, that it would provide the best cushioning. I currently have the REI Lite-Core 1.5. It's just not doing the job like I thought it would.

I'd love some suggestions on the best pads specifically for side sleepers.

Thanks!

QHShowoman
07-24-2014, 09:57
Big Agnes Q Core SL. I am a side sleeper and my best nights of sleep while camping out have been on this pad. Very comfy.

Que Sera
07-24-2014, 10:08
Although I guess still not as pricey as Therm-a-Rest.

I bought my current one at an REI used gear sale for like $45...so maybe I'm just spoiled in that sense.

Que Sera
07-24-2014, 10:09
Oops...my first response disappeared.

I was just commenting on the Big Agnes being pricey. :)

I know it's worth it though for a good night's sleep.

Gambit McCrae
07-24-2014, 10:11
Im a 205 pound side sleeper. The Exped Synmat 7 wide is quite comfy and has givin me great sleep

HooKooDooKu
07-24-2014, 10:28
Im a 225 pound side sleeper and love my NeoAir Xlite (large).

I purchased the large because I sometimes sleep on my stomach and got tired of 20" pads leaving my arms dragging the ground.
So if you exclusively side sleep, the regular size might do you just fine.
But yes, the NeoAirs are pricey, but does really well in reviews.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-24-2014, 10:45
I too am a side sleeper and would toss and turn due to my hips getting sore, then wake up feeling unrested using a foam pad. Bit the bullet and bought a thermarest xtherm, in part because I tend to camp in cold weather and the reviews for that were very good. I make mine very firm and put my pack under the head of the pad. I sleep very comfortably and wake with no sore hips. The pain is blowing it up so will be getting one of the little pumps so I can do other things while it inflates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Que Sera
07-24-2014, 10:54
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Rocket Jones
07-24-2014, 11:37
The pain is blowing it up so will be getting one of the little pumps so I can do other things while it inflates.

If you have a pack liner - I use a trash compactor bag - fill it with air, hold the open end tight against the open pad nozzle and squeeze the air into your pad. Works like playing the bagpipes, without the stepped-on-cat sound. ;)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-24-2014, 13:02
If you have a pack liner - I use a trash compactor bag - fill it with air, hold the open end tight against the open pad nozzle and squeeze the air into your pad. Works like playing the bagpipes, without the stepped-on-cat sound. ;)

It came with a bag to blow it up but I'll be darned if it doesn't go quicker blowing it up myself. But don't want to be infusing all that moisture, especially when it gets cold. Maybe I don't have the technique down right??

Odd Man Out
07-24-2014, 13:21
I have the neoair trekker, short/wide. It does not have a high R rating, but I'm mostly a summer hiker. I like a wide pad for tossing an turning. This is one of the few that comes wide, but short. That keeps the weight down and makes it faster to inflate (20 blows). I found padding under my legs not necessary. YMMV

Solitude501
07-24-2014, 13:25
A gathered end Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock. Gathered end hammocks do allow one to sleep on their side in comfort. Only sleep on the ground now with a Big Agnes Q Core only if I have to. I know I will be stuff in the morning.

HooKooDooKu
07-24-2014, 13:34
I've tried the trash compactor bag trick to inflate the neoair, but there's just too much bag for me to figure out how to get a tight seal around the value to be able to push the air into the pad.

So instead, I carry a standard kitchen trash bag (handles cut out of them as unnecessary weigh). I cut a small hole in a corner of the trash bag, slide the neoair valve through the hole, and then use a rubber band to essentially attach the trash bag to the neoair. It takes about 5 bags of air to nearly fill a large size neoair (78"x25"). A few puffs are then all it takes to set the pressure of the neoair. So long as you are not rough with it, the kitchen bag can be used over-and-over-and-over. If you use the stuff sack the neoair comes with, there is plenty of room to roll the trash bag around the neoair before stuffing it in the stuff sack. Then just toss in a pair of rubberbands (you want to keep a back-up).

Venchka
07-24-2014, 14:31
I have written several times here at WhiteBlaze about my new Xtherm Large pad. search for Xtherm posts by me in the last 4-6 weeks.
The Cliff's Notes version:
5'-8", 150 pounds, side sleeper, Large Xtherm + Exped Large Air Pillow (the red one, not the UL yellow one), Location: Floor of my apartment next to my real bed and uber cushy down pillow.
14 nights total. 7 nights consecutively. Ambient temperature 76-80 F degree nights. Xtherm inflrated just enough to keep my bottom/hips from bottoming out when I am lying down. If I sit up, my bottom is grounded. The Xtherm looks like a limp noodle until I am lying on it.
Conclusion: I slept like a log. No difference in the morning when I woke up between the Xtherm and the real bed next to me. The first ground sleeping system I have used that allowed me to sleep straight through the night.
Caution: The catalog dimensions are measured flat, no air. Inflated, my Xtherm is 23" wide. I understnad that the regular is only 18" wide. Since I can't tolerate a 20" pad, been through 3 of them, the extra width of the Xtherm Large is perfect for me. Every maker should offer wide width pads.
Next test: Outdoor, cold weather trials scheduled for Christmas break. If the Xtherm doesn't pass 15 F degree nights, it is going back to REI. If that happens, I will try an Exped Downmat next.
The Dreaded NeoAir Noise Syndrome: Pure Internet Myth.
A good night's sleep: Priceless. Don't sweat the price.

Wayne

Kerosene
07-24-2014, 15:16
Whichever inflatable pad you go with, just make sure that it has 2" of cushioning available, which should be sufficient to keep your hips from bottoming out. Also, after you inflate (using whatever method works for you), lie down on the pad on your side and slowly release air until your hips are just above the ground. That should give you sufficient support without overly much stiffness.

Venchka
07-24-2014, 15:40
Whichever inflatable pad you go with, just make sure that it has 2" of cushioning available, which should be sufficient to keep your hips from bottoming out. Also, after you inflate (using whatever method works for you), lie down on the pad on your side and slowly release air until your hips are just above the ground. That should give you sufficient support without overly much stiffness.

Yep. Trial and error at first. A little out. Move. A little in. Squirm. When you get it right, your hips will touch bottom if you raise your upper torso a little moving weight to your hips. Maybe my reduced inflation is also what stops the noise? For whatever reasons, very low air pressure yields a very quiet, very nice sleep.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
07-24-2014, 18:04
Im not sure if it happens to others here, but I find that after hiking and wearing myself out, that I can sleep in any position.

at home I sleep in the fetal position. I NEVER sleep on my back.

But when I hike, I have no problem at all sleeping on my back. It's even the most comfortable position on the trail for me.

handlebar
07-24-2014, 23:49
+1 everything Venchka says. I'm a 170 lb, 6' side sleeper. I have the XTherm regular and it's nearly too narrow,but really cushy. 20 breathes blows it up firm---the inflator bag/stuff sack that comes with it was too much hassle. I let air out until it's comfy as well. I'm concerned about using it in the desert on my planned Arizona Trail hike. I did use a Thermarest Prolite on the NM CDT with no issue and don't remember being that picky about campsites. Any advice on taking the XTherm vs a ZRest?

Big Dawg
07-25-2014, 03:05
Im a 205 pound side sleeper. The Exped Synmat 7 wide is quite comfy and has givin me great sleep

Add 70 pounds, and the rest is ditto!

Starvin Marvin
07-25-2014, 09:39
+2 on everything Venchka said about the X Therm. I have the large size also. I have used mine on snow down to zero degrees F (so far) and its plenty warm.

Venchka
07-25-2014, 10:34
+1 everything Venchka says. I'm a 170 lb, 6' side sleeper. I have the XTherm regular and it's nearly too narrow,but really cushy. 20 breathes blows it up firm---the inflator bag/stuff sack that comes with it was too much hassle. I let air out until it's comfy as well. I'm concerned about using it in the desert on my planned Arizona Trail hike. I did use a Thermarest Prolite on the NM CDT with no issue and don't remember being that picky about campsites. Any advice on taking the XTherm vs a ZRest?

+2 on everything Venchka said about the X Therm. I have the large size also. I have used mine on snow down to zero degrees F (so far) and its plenty warm.
Thanks Y'all! Glad to hear that the Xtherm works on snow. That is exactly why I bought it. Some day!

Wayne

anvil440
07-25-2014, 11:36
I'm a big dude and have found anything under 3 inches is worthless when side-sleeping on hard packed ground.

Although, building a natural bed from dead leaves, moss, pine needles, etc. will make that 1.5 much more comfortable.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-25-2014, 14:13
I have an REI Flash that weighs 17ounces. It's 2.5" thick, and I can finally fall asleep on my side (or stomach for that matter) and not have various body parts fall asleep. Previous 2 pads were a Thermarest Trail Lite & a ZLite. They just didn't offer enough cushioning.

I'm sure as long as you get a 2.5" you'll be fine.

Dogwood
07-25-2014, 18:20
I too am a side sleeper tossing and turning from side to side a lot.

1) YES THE THICKER P

Dogwood
07-25-2014, 18:35
Oops.

I too am a side sleeper tossing and turning from side to side a lot.

1) Yes, the thicker or more cushioned pads help but also try NOT inflating your REI Air Core 1.5 all the way. Let some air out! You may get a more comfortable lay for your hips. Be careful you don't plop heavily onto your inflatable pad if doing this though.

2) Look for campsites, specifically where you will lie down, that have duff or a softer feel. In Maryland there are campsites with a thick layer of dry pine needles that make a really comfy bed. Be mindful of any soft sap though. Likewise, soft sandy sleeping areas like on beach/river/stream sand can provide relief for your hips and a heavenly deep sleep, especially with the sound of the water. Be mindful of rising water level possibilities though.

3) Explore sleeping in a hammock. If you're a bit on the heavier side consider things like thicker hammock fabrics, two under layers, bridge hammocks, various tweaking of a hammock set up, etc

4) After you know exactly where you'll be lying down to sleep dish out the ground where your hips lay. This can be really helpful for larger/heavier/fluffier people but I find it also helps me as giraffe being tall and lanky. :)

Crash
07-27-2014, 22:59

I never thought of doing that. Thanx for the tip.

Sent from my iPod touch.