PDA

View Full Version : nobo hiking buddy?

baileym
07-25-2014, 10:15
Hi, I'm Bailey from CT
I plan on thru-hiking in 2015 but im having trouble finding someone who will do the hike with me since it means taking off at least one semester of school.
Ive already told my mother that people meet up and travel together and that its hard to travel without encountering anyone, but it would put her at ease if i were to at least begin the hike knowing someone.
So i guess my question is, is she right? Is it better to at least begin the hike knowing someone?
if so, is anyone game to start with me?

AO2134
07-25-2014, 10:52
Hi, I'm Bailey from CT
I plan on thru-hiking in 2015 but im having trouble finding someone who will do the hike with me since it means taking off at least one semester of school.
Ive already told my mother that people meet up and travel together and that its hard to travel without encountering anyone, but it would put her at ease if i were to at least begin the hike knowing someone.
So i guess my question is, is she right? Is it better to at least begin the hike knowing someone?
if so, is anyone game to start with me?

Yes and no. I think most people like the added comfort of traveling in a group. If something bad happens, someone is there to help. It may deter animals (more noise so they may just get out of your way). It may deter bad people (they are incredibly rare on AT, but do exist).

No because you will likely stop at shelters most AT hikers stop at or around shelters. You will make friends almost immediately as you go. You will settle into your rhythm and likely find others who have that same pace and you kind of stay together for large sections.

Generally, you wont be alone for long periods of time depending on how reclusive you may or may not be, especially if you leave with the bubble of AT thru-hikers.

Dobbins
07-25-2014, 11:00
When I did the Colorado Trail, I had a buddy drive me to the trail head and hike the first five miles with me. It was just for a few hours but it really put my nerves at ease. Have you considered just having someone do a 1 or 2 day trip with you at the beginning? You will meet hikers on day one and ease into the trail, as well as ease your mother's concerns.

ndelfranco
07-26-2014, 05:19
Hi Bailey! My name is Nikki, I'm from Maine. I also plan to thru-hike in 2015 Starting earlyish March. I don't plan to start with crazy miles, but depending on your starting time and pace maybe we could start together and see where there the trail takes us? :)

baileym
07-26-2014, 14:08
Hi!! I don't plan on starting out going too hardcore either and was planning on starting late February/early march so this sounds like it might actually work!

fireemt
07-26-2014, 14:15
Hi Bailey
I from New Hampshre and planning a March 25-26 start.
If this fits, I will glady start with you.

dangerdave
07-28-2014, 13:32
Don't worry, Bailey. It looks like a lot of us will be starting out in early March NOBO. If it helps settle your mom's mind, tell her a firefighter/paramedic will be starting his thru-hike around the same time.

Just tell her Danger will be close. That should make her feel all better. :)

drew_a_blank
07-29-2014, 20:43
Just tell her Danger will be close. That should make her feel all better. :)

Ha! I'm sure that will put her momma's mind at ease..

rock steady
07-29-2014, 21:28
Hi Bailey! I agree with the above and tell your mom that a lot more people are starting at Amicalola after they read A Walk in the Wood by Bryson. And the AT is more crowded than ever now--but wait--the book is being filmed for the movie which may be in theaters this fall! Lots of company!! I'm starting in early March and may see you (id est: y'all) out there. A friend who owns an outfitter store advised me to do 8 to ten miles per day max for the first couple of weeks then increase the mpd by 10% each week if I feel like it. ha ha we'll see! I am new to this hike thing but it looks very safe to me. I'm retired and really looking forward to March. Send me a message if you have ideas, tips, etc. Take care and God bless!--'rock steady'

jred321
07-30-2014, 09:44
What part of CT are you from? I'm planning on a mid-March start next year as well. Hoping to finish on my birthday (August 27) :)

cthomasy
08-25-2014, 07:22
I'm actually starting March 1st so maybe we will see each other! My mom is kind of sketched out that I will be hiking alone but I gave her the book Appalachian Trails to read so hopefully that will make her more comfortable.

Speakeasy TN
08-28-2014, 18:51
Hi Bailey! I agree with the above and tell your mom that a lot more people are starting at Amicalola after they read A Walk in the Wood by Bryson. And the AT is more crowded than ever now--but wait--the book is being filmed for the movie which may be in theaters this fall! Lots of company!! I'm starting in early March and may see you (id est: y'all) out there. A friend who owns an outfitter store advised me to do 8 to ten miles per day max for the first couple of weeks then increase the mpd by 10% each week if I feel like it. ha ha we'll see! I am new to this hike thing but it looks very safe to me. I'm retired and really looking forward to March. Send me a message if you have ideas, tips, etc. Take care and God bless!--'rock steady'
Howdy neighbor. 8-10 Will be all you want on the first short days!
If what the Mom's are worried about is not knowing anyone in the area, my wife is pretty used to being a lifeline for folks. She doesn't hike much but is a PERFECT ANGEL!

swalker0903
09-07-2014, 20:12
My mom is the same way Bailey! I know that I'll meet up with people as I go but she's worried about me not having someone to check in with. I'm starting later in March but we might pass each other on the trail!

krawler
09-09-2014, 10:29
Hey bailey, I am starting around March 15. If need be I will be carrying a lightweight powerbank for cell use, if u need to call ur family to check in I would look into one of these. If u use a 1500mah battery you can get 3-4 full charges. If you use a 2200 mah battery you get 2-3 charges. They come in a variety of different sizes and prices generally start around 16.00. I have a 6000mah. Hope this helps, and like above statements you will find a good group of hikers to move along with on the trail and thru towns.

Speakeasy TN
09-14-2014, 10:35
Keeping in touch is super easy the first 150 miles. I was able to check in with the wife multiple times a day. Coverage from the top of almost every high point. Its not wilderness down here!