PDA

View Full Version : North South Trail - Rhode Island

naperica
07-25-2014, 11:58
Anyone ever hiked this trail? 77 miles long from Charlestown Beach in RI to the woods in Mass.

I did a 3 day tramp this past May. Going back out to finish the beginning and end sometime this summer.

If anyone has hiked before, just wondering if there is a place to stealth camp in the Carolina Management Area. There is about 22 miles from the start to the first official "camp area".

Teacher & Snacktime
07-25-2014, 13:11
No one here can recommend "stealth camping" on this trail, as it is completely illegal in the RI section. This is one of the two problems that make this trail uninviting as a thruhike opportunity. The second would be the excessive pavement-hiking.

That said, I loved the last (or in your case the first) nine miles to the beach.

atraildreamer
07-26-2014, 12:57
I think there is one backpacking campsite along the trail. Don't remember where is is. Otherwise, you have to stay at a regular campground such as in Arcadia or the George Washington Management Area, or a privately-run campground.

You can download maps of the trail here:

http://outdoors.htmlplanet.com/nst/nst_map00.htm

Google "North-South Trail in RI" and a lot of stuff will pop up about the trail.

The trail also connects to the Midstate Trail in Massachusetts, which in turn connects to the Wapack Trail in New Hampshire. Put together, they constitute one long walk!

bamboo bob
07-26-2014, 15:22
I was just about to post: Looking at hiking the North South Trail in Rhode Island. I've never hiked in RI. Anyone ever do the North South Trail? Likely Continue on The MA Mid State Trail to the NH border. 160 miles together.

Mainly have to figure out how to get there from Boston. Amtrak To Westerly/ Cab to beach?

Teacher & Snacktime
07-26-2014, 21:04
Bamboo Bob....Take the train to Providence and we can get you to the trailhead assuming the timing is good. Let us know when you want to make the trip.

atraildreamer
07-27-2014, 14:00
I was just about to post: Looking at hiking the North South Trail in Rhode Island. I've never hiked in RI. Anyone ever do the North South Trail? Likely Continue on The MA Mid State Trail to the NH border. 160 miles together.

Mainly have to figure out how to get there from Boston. Amtrak To Westerly/ Cab to beach?

Train to Providence. RIPTA bus from Providence goes to the beach(s). I'll see if I can find the schedule for you.

naperica
08-11-2014, 18:39
Train to Providence. RIPTA bus from Providence goes to the beach(s). I'll see if I can find the schedule for you.

Bamboo Bob: You can take the RIPTA from PVD to South County (near beaches), but it is still about 13 miles to the trailhead that you need to cover walking or by cab, your research is correct.

I was looking at the midstate myself. I have 18 miles to finish for the NST, and on north I go. Section hiking is my life right now.