PDA

View Full Version : Northern Section feasability and a Few Questions!

WinterWren
07-25-2014, 21:50
Hi All!

I'm hoping to hike the northern section of the LT in August (from Brandon Gap to Journey's End) in about 12 days, which equals to roughly 10-16 mile days. I'm really psyched, though just wanted to do a rough check as to the feasability of the northern section. People seem to either say "yeah, it's pretty hard but not crazy hard..." and "it's crazy hard!" I've been doing training hikes a couple times a week up to Rattlesnake cliffs and back with a heavy pack (near Middlebury) and doing Camel's Hump every weekend. I feel strong, and have been doing burroughs trailhead on Camels Hump to the summit in just a little over an hour. Just curious as to what people thought!

Also, some logistical questions: I'm planning on carrying 4-5 days of food with me and resupplying via mail drops in Jonesville (as I walk through town since it doesn't sound like the Winooski bridge is up yet), and resupplying - and buying white gas - in Johnson. Does that sound about right?

Also, as this being my first long distance hike, what do you do in regards to keeping up with weather forecasts? I'm totally game to hike in the rain and things like that, I'm just wondering what you do if you're plan for the day is to hike Mansfield and you get there and it looks suspicious, and there are in fact thunderstorms scheduled all day. How do you know?

Finally, I have the LT guidebook which states sketchy and sometimes unreliable water sources at certain shelters. Anyone have any first hand accounts of water availability at the shelters north of Brandon Gap?

Thanks so much for the help!!

Driver8
07-26-2014, 00:36
Hi All!

I'm hoping to hike the northern section of the LT in August (from Brandon Gap to Journey's End) in about 12 days, which equals to roughly 10-16 mile days. I'm really psyched, though just wanted to do a rough check as to the feasability of the northern section. People seem to either say "yeah, it's pretty hard but not crazy hard..." and "it's crazy hard!" I've been doing training hikes a couple times a week up to Rattlesnake cliffs and back with a heavy pack (near Middlebury) and doing Camel's Hump every weekend. I feel strong, and have been doing burroughs trailhead on Camels Hump to the summit in just a little over an hour. Just curious as to what people thought!

Also, some logistical questions: I'm planning on carrying 4-5 days of food with me and resupplying via mail drops in Jonesville (as I walk through town since it doesn't sound like the Winooski bridge is up yet), and resupplying - and buying white gas - in Johnson. Does that sound about right?

Also, as this being my first long distance hike, what do you do in regards to keeping up with weather forecasts? I'm totally game to hike in the rain and things like that, I'm just wondering what you do if you're plan for the day is to hike Mansfield and you get there and it looks suspicious, and there are in fact thunderstorms scheduled all day. How do you know?

Finally, I have the LT guidebook which states sketchy and sometimes unreliable water sources at certain shelters. Anyone have any first hand accounts of water availability at the shelters north of Brandon Gap?

Thanks so much for the help!!

It's been a pretty wet year, WW, so the water sitch, for the time being, is probably on the high end. I'd keep paying close attention to the weather. Also, sometimes there are useful reports at newenglandtrailconditions.com, though its activity does tend to be weighted toward NH and ME.

mudsocks
07-26-2014, 22:44

Weather can effect how far you hike in a day. You probably don't want to be crossing a bald during T-Storms. Burnt Rock/Camel's Hump/Bamforth Ridge is very slick in wet conditions. Do you only have 12 days of time or is that your goal? Give yourself at least one more day than you think you will need.

The bridge is not complete so you will be walking by the PO in Jonesville. Make sure you call ahead and find out what their hours are. I heard from several folks that the Jonesville PO hours have been reduced within the past few weeks and they had to wait till the next day to get their package. Are you planning on hitching, getting a cab or walking into Johnson? Are you planning on doing laundry or showering in towns? That can easily eat up half your day.

Talk to folks, carry a weather radio, cell phone, and pay attention to the weather. T-storms were in the afternoon forecast for the day I planned to cross Camel's Hump. Instead of stopping at Cowel's Cove the night before I hiked to Montclair Glen so I would be back in the green tunnel long before it hit. T-storms never happened that day.

There was no water at Boyce and just a trickle at Skyline several weeks ago. A few days ago I was told Shooting Star was dry.

Praha4
07-27-2014, 01:51
in the past, the most reliable good water between Brandon Gap and Lincoln Gap was at Emily Proctor shelter. That spring has great flow. The spring at Skyline can be unreliable. There are of course a few ponds along the way though. Starks Nest, just south of Appalachian Gap has a rain barrel that's usually got plenty of water, and there's a spring at Battell Shelter, not sure how it's been running this summer though. That pump spring at Shooting Star has yellow colored water from what I recall. If you hit it at the right time, the snack bar up at Jay Peak has plenty to drink! Last September, I had the misfortune of arriving at Jay Peak in the middle of a nasty storm, complete with high winds and sleet, the snack bar and lift were closed that day. I recall numerous stream crossings with good water north of VT-15 to Hazens Notch. I would not choose to cross Mansfield or Camels Hump in a monsoon. Good luck, maybe see you up there, I may be doing the LT in late August this year.

Slo-go'en
07-27-2014, 10:55
There is a lot of very steep up and down on the northern half, plus the footing isn't great along much of it, so it's really slow going.

I found it easy to hitch into Richmond at RT2, but difficult to hitch into Johnson. You'd best check on the availability of white gas in Johnson.

As for weather forecasts, I just look at the sky and guess. Cell reception probably is pretty good along most of there, so that would be the best option. If your going late August, the risk of T-storms is less, but you could have some pretty chilly nights.

Lately, the weather cycle around here seems to be stormy early in the week (Mon/Tue) then nice mid week and iffy on Sunday. This pattern will likely hold for the next few weeks.

lemon b
07-27-2014, 12:49
Plenty of water up there. Bring a filter. Never carried a cell phone. Sounds like your condition is fine. Keep your gear dry.

WinterWren
07-27-2014, 17:37
Do you only have 12 days of time or is that your goal? Give yourself at least one more day than you think you will need.
Are you planning on hitching, getting a cab or walking into Johnson? Are you planning on doing laundry or showering in towns? That can easily eat up half your day.
There was no water at Boyce and just a trickle at Skyline several weeks ago. A few days ago I was told Shooting Star was dry.

Thanks for the advice and heads up about water sources! I only have 12 days due to my ride/pickup window at Journey's End, so I'm going to do my best. I figure - worst case scenario - if things are going horribly weather and miles wise, I'll just hang out on Mansfield doing some side trails for an extra day or two and meet them in Stowe. Or maybe head as far north as I can and just meet up with them at one of the road crossings further up.

As far as white gas in Johnson, it looks like there's a hardware store along RT15 ("Johnson Hardware & Rental") which I had read carries fuel. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I was planning to walk/hitch, since it only looks to be 2-3 miles from the trail to town. The hardware store only seems to be a mile or so from the trail. Is that correct?

GPK
07-28-2014, 10:01
I hiked sobo in June of 2013 and the trail above Johnson was wet and eroded. As for white gas, all the places I checked out sold gas by the gallon. I was lucky to find a guy at the service station next to the PO in Johnson who filled my bottle from a gallon he had in his truck. The old hardware store in downtown Johnson is not there anymore - they used to sell by the ounce. There may be some angels in the Johnson area who can help with gas- check with the GMC. Good Luck - gpk

lemon b
07-28-2014, 21:15
Bridge is not up.

WinterWren
07-29-2014, 19:26
Called the HW store on RT 15 in Johnson right near the trail, and they said they carry white gas. I should have asked in what increments... (I'll call back tomorrow). Worst case scenario, I buy a gallon and gift what I don't need to the guy behind the counter!

mudsocks
07-30-2014, 22:51
Enjoy your time out there. Don't rush it.

bigcranky
08-03-2014, 19:58
Just got back from the LT. If you're in good shape, then 12 days seems reasonable (and if you're climbing Camel's Hump all the time, then you're in fine shape I think.) That's an average of just over 12 mpd with no zeros. We were able to do 12 mile days in that section, with a couple of 14s and a 15, and we're not in any kind of shape. The trail kinda sucked in places, but if we could do it, anyone can.

The Farm and Garden store in Johnson had a decent selection of hiking gear. I saw butane canisters, which is what I need -- didn't notice white gas since I no longer use it. The Sterling Market in Johnson is good for resupply. If you have the funds and want a great evening off the trail, I can highly recommend Nye's Green Valley Farm. They'll pick you up at the trailhead on Rt 15 and drive you pretty much anywhere you need to go, plus their breakfast is outstanding.

If you would prefer to shop over a maildrop, the hitch into Waterbury was pretty easy and they have a great little store in the Village Market downtown, plus several good pubs with great Vermont craft beer, just in case you want a little something before getting back on the trail.

Weather: I carried my smartphone and was able to get data service in lots of places for weather info (on Verizon.) Service was better close to ski areas. Otherwise I would ask dayhikers (this doesn't work as well north of Johnson :) ) We skipped Mansfield due to a very bad looking forecast/radar, and given what the storm looked like, I'm glad we did.

Good luck - it's a challenging but rewarding hike.

Edit: it poured rain on us for several days in the northern section, so for the most part water was pretty good. When we went through, dry shelters include Glen Ellen and Theron Dean. Cooley Glen was slowish but running, same with Montclair Glen. Sterling Pond's spring was dry. Whiteface was slow but good water. The pumps at both Roundtop and Shooting Star were broken (I checked the Roundtop pump myself, and took other hikers' word for it on Shooting Star.) All the dry springs were running just fine after the heavy rain last week, but of course that can change quickly.

WinterWren
08-31-2014, 19:26
Thanks, all, for the wonderful advice and help! I had an amazing time on the trail, and can't wait to finish the southern section next year to check the whole sha-bang off my list!

Met some amazing people, had some hard days in there, and learned a ton about my own style of hiking: what I need to do to prepare (both mentally and physically!) for when I finish the southern section, or other long, hard hikes. The trail was as difficult as I thought, but what I didn't consider was that while training on Camel's Hump every weekend was spot on, it still wouldn't prepare you for basically doing Camel's Hump 5 times in a row on any given day! Last weekend my lady friend and I went and did an out and back on the LT to Stratton Pond, and I joked that our hike that weekend had more flat in 30 minutes than my whole 12 days on the northern section! Regardless, an unforgettable trip!

Favorite spots: having the forehead on Mansfield all to myself for two beautiful hours in the morning, tenting at twin brooks the night before with a stunning sunset on lake champlain through the trees with a Winter Wren singing nearby for an hour, and watching waves of fog crash against Burnt Rock after the 2 day rain finally letting up. Note: Burnt rock is definitely slow going when wet...

Anyways, thanks again for all the help and advice!

Best,
Wren