PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Gap to Cosby Campground?

he.who.forgets
07-26-2014, 15:29
Looking to do a 3-nighter somehwere in this vicinity in a couple weeks. Any opinions on starting and ending points? Looking to do about 30-35 miles or so. Suggestions on a good place to start where I can leave my car would be appreciated. I'd be getting a ride back, so no need for shuttles or anything. Thanks!

he.who.forgets
07-26-2014, 15:51
after looking a little through the companion, I'll revise this plan a little. Figure it'd be easiest to start in Hot Springs and hike south to maybe Pigeon River or somewhere thereabouts.
Anyone have any opinions on this little stretch?

joshuasdad
07-26-2014, 17:47
Nice 2-3 day stretch with lots of elevation change, but it is relatively gradual change that does not wipe you out. I did my first (and probably last) "marathon day" on that section this year. Leave your car at Standing Bear hostel, and have Curtis or his wife shuttle you to Hot Springs. Laughing Heart hostel in Hot Springs may be able to offer the same.

Not sure on water situation now, but I'm pretty sure that section has some potentially dry stretches.

Have a great hike!

he.who.forgets
08-10-2014, 21:29
Had a great hike. Started in Hot Springs and hiked south down to Davenport Gap. First day, went from Laughing Heart Hostel to Walnut Mtn Shelter, approx 13 miles. The climb up Bluff Mountain was pretty tough. Second day took me from Walnut Mtn to Groundhog Creek Shelter, another 13 miles or so. This was my favorite stretch of trail as the forest was more interesting and included Max Patch which I loved! I did fear that I'd somehow ventured off trail though shortly after Max Patch Rd. There was a long stretch that was nearly completely void of blazes. I backtracked about a half mile to confirm I was still in fact on the trail but still did not see a blaze for what seemed like 2 miles. There were signs posted that indicated I was in the NC game lands and bear sanctuary (great place to fear being lost!). Blazes eventually showed back up, but I'm interested to know why they were so sparse in this stretch. Day 3 took me from Groundhog Creek to Davenport Gap. After the climb up Snowbird Mountain I was shocked that the remaining 6-7 miles were all downhill. First two days offered great weather but it poured a steady rain the entire day for my last 9 miles. All in all, I completed 35 miles in about 20 hours or so of hiking. Had a great first section hike and can't wait to get back out there.