PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a 20d synthetic bag

Granger
10-06-2005, 08:36
Hello all,
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, light 20 degree synthetic sleeping bag?

Weight matters to me but I would carry a little more weight for a full zip.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-Granger

Alligator
10-06-2005, 09:16
I have a Sierra Designs Wild Bill 20. I don't like it because it does not have a chest baffle. I think for temps under 30, a chest baffle makes a bit of difference. Next time I buy a bag at this rating I will make sure it has one. I haven't looked at any recent models, but did consider TNF Cat's Meow.

Oracle
10-06-2005, 09:38
I really dig the Sierra Designs Wild Bill. It's kept me quite warm down below the temperature rating (it was 15 degrees outside, and I was toasty inside the bag).

max patch
10-06-2005, 09:41
Well, I used a North Face Cats Meow on my thru and it served me well, although I switched to down upon my return and wouldn't go back to a synthetic.

Almost There
10-06-2005, 09:45
Big Agnes Encampment if you carry a thermarest, etc. Rated at 15 degrees, and plenty roomy. The Cat's Meow will not fit if you're broad in chest or shoulders, it's cut very narrow. If money is no option I would go with the Marmot Helium, it's down but you can get the water proof version of it, and it's under 3lbs. The non waterproof is under 2lbs, and is rated 15 degrees. My dream bag of the moment, stickers for around $400. The Encampment stickers for around $155 and it has kept me warm after getting wet in 30 degree temps.

Granger
10-06-2005, 11:16
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I should have said this in my first post but the reason I am looking for synthetic is after a weekend of itching and no sleep in a big agnes horse theif I think I am alergic to down.

tlbj6142
10-06-2005, 13:26
I am looking for synthetic is after a weekend of itching and no sleep in a big agnes horse theif I think I am alergic to down.Maybe, but not likely. The high grade stuff they put in quality sleeping bags has been cleaned and dried so many times, it doesn't usually bother those with allergies.

I'm allergic to down, but only use down bags. No cheap down pillows drive me crazy (throat itches real bad, and my eyes burn a bit).

KS_Rockstar
10-06-2005, 13:37
is the 20d bag the general at through hiker's bag??? that is for those going in basically summer months???

tlbj6142
10-06-2005, 14:41
Assuming NOBO, 20F is fine until Perrisburg, VA or Memorial Day whichever comes last. Switch to something else for the "summer". Switch back in Hanover, NH or Labor Day which ever comes last.

Seeker
10-07-2005, 00:40
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I should have said this in my first post but the reason I am looking for synthetic is after a weekend of itching and no sleep in a big agnes horse theif I think I am alergic to down.
you sure it wasn't something biting you? this is strange, but when i was deployed to both somalia and haiti, the first two or three nights i was there, i got absolutely eaten up by something itchy... it quit bothering me after a few days... but it happened both times, 2 years apart... i was using a synthetic army bag both times (and i had used it before and after those times, on exercises, as well).

Granger
10-10-2005, 08:33
you sure it wasn't something biting you? this is strange, but when i was deployed to both somalia and haiti, the first two or three nights i was there, i got absolutely eaten up by something itchy... it quit bothering me after a few days... but it happened both times, 2 years apart... i was using a synthetic army bag both times (and i had used it before and after those times, on exercises, as well).
Pretty sure. When I got home I spent another night in the bag and had the same problem.

:(

NICKTHEGREEK
10-14-2005, 08:46
Hello all,
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, light 20 degree synthetic sleeping bag?

Weight matters to me but I would carry a little more weight for a full zip.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-GrangerI'm a big fan of Moonstone gear. The sleeping bags are excellent and fairly true to ratings in my experience. Check this link: http://backcountry-equipment.com/sleeping-bags-springfall.php

The 650 delta morpheus is down upper synthetic lower bag that is on sale (click details)