PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rain cover for backpack

centerfieldr162
07-26-2014, 18:04
Long story short.. my grandfather does a lot of dayhiking. He has a Deuter Futura Zero pack (not sure how many liters). Usually when a rainstorm comes he has a poncho that he puts on and slips over himself AND the backpack. It's kind of like killing two birds with one stone. He nor the pack get wet this way.. as opposed to putting a raincover over the backpack and then putting a rain jacket on himself. Here comes the issue.. this past week we went hiking and I was about 20 minutes in front of him when a storm came up. He tried to get the poncho on but ended up wrestling with it since no one was there to help him slip it over himself and the pack. In his frustration he threw the poncho away back at the parking area and decided he was going to do something different before our next trip for raincover.

This is where I need yalls help. His birthday is coming up and I was thinking of getting him something to keep the pack dry but need to know what to get. Should I get something similar to a poncho or should I get a cover for the backpack? If I get a backpack cover then that leaves the problem of him needing a rain jacket of some sort. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

lynn523
07-26-2014, 18:22
How much do love him? :-)
It's not cheap, but my dream rain gear purchase is this:
http://www.thepacka.com/problems-with-backpacking-rain-gear/
Seems to offer the best of everything. It's been recommended a lot here on WB, so you could search for recommendations on which version is best.

Cedar Tree
07-26-2014, 18:25
Check out the Packa.

http://www.thepacka.com/

CT

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-26-2014, 18:36
There is a guy on here that has one for sale if used but new to grandpa is okay. I think it's an event packa. Just an FYI it case money is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-26-2014, 18:39
Goes by the name Deacon just in case

centerfieldr162
07-26-2014, 18:43
Awesome guys thank yall so much. I knew I could count on the people here to help me out!! The packa looks like the perfect thing for him

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Wil
07-26-2014, 20:08
The packa looks like the perfect thing for himI've thought about it now & then. The fiddle factor needs to be considered. And if you rip or shred it, you've damaged an expensive piece of gear.

After 5 decades of backpacking, I've settled on a Hefty trash compacter bag, with a minimal slit each side cut for the pack straps. I reinforce the top & bottom of the slit with a small piece of reinforced packing tape. For a small pack you'd cut the trash compactor bag down. Rain jacket & pants are froggstoggs. These items can all be patched for quite awhile and then eventually replaced dirt cheap.

USP (United States Plastic Corp) has some clear drum liners that look interesting as an alternative, e.g #10221 (very heavy at 15 mil) and #10253 (at a more practical 4 mil).

Cheap for a nice gift, but if someone had gifted me this overall rain solution years ago I'd have saved many hundreds of dollars in equipment, saved a lot of frustration with approaches that were not as useful, and saved a lot of wet gear & self. I'd have been very grateful for this gift!

12trysomething
07-26-2014, 20:58
It has been mentioned throughout this post...here is a quick video I did of my packa when I first got it earlier this year.

http://youtu.be/W9EcF-3uQFY

I hope this helps a bit.

Deacon
07-28-2014, 06:14
There is a guy on here that has one for sale if used but new to grandpa is okay. I think it's an event packa. Just an FYI it case money is an issue.

Yes, still for sale. PM me if you want to know more.

Damn Yankee
07-28-2014, 06:40
JimmyJam will make you a Cuben pack liner which will keep the items in his pack dry. If he has outside pockets or hip belt pockets, ziplock backs will take care of those items. Now all he needs is something to keep him dry such as Froggtoggs.

ChuckT
07-28-2014, 07:08
Who is JimmyJam?

Damn Yankee
07-28-2014, 19:30
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?38571-jimmyjam

Look here

88BlueGT
07-31-2014, 10:35
The Packa would be a great purchase. I've had mine for over 4-5yrs now and it's still in great shape. Love it.

ChuckT
07-31-2014, 12:05
The link to jimmyjam returns "you do not have permission ..."

lemon b
08-04-2014, 07:58
I use a Sea to Summit Pack cover. Also, use the resealable plastic gallon bags inside on sleeping bag and other must keep dry items. Many people swear by trash compactor bags.

jbwood5
08-04-2014, 09:14
I've used the Packa for two tough years now and it is pretty good. It is expensive, but so is most good backpacking gear. The only problem I had is that I got some small tears (small holes) from hiking in the Whites where you have to squeeze between boulders or slide your pack down severe rock declines (often with the pack off). If you are going through the Mahoosuc Notch or Fat Man's squeeze, I'd recommend taking the Packa off and putting it in your pack (hopefully it will be dry weather that day). If you have to push or drag your pack through the crevices, you will almost certainly tear the Packa and even put scuffs or small tears in your pack. That happened to me in the Notch this year (with the backpack).

Otherwise, the Packa is the best poncho/backpack cover that I have ever used in my years of hiking. I do keep a garbage compactor bag in the backpack as I liner and that really helps, along with the Packa to keep everything dry.

Cedar Tree
08-05-2014, 06:00
I've used the Packa for two tough years now and it is pretty good. The only problem I had is that I got some small tears (small holes)

I can send you some fabric to patch those holes, or you can send your Packa back to me and I will patch them. Contact me if you are interested.
Cedar Tree

Peakhunter
08-09-2014, 20:05
I've thought about it now & then. The fiddle factor needs to be considered. And if you rip or shred it, you've damaged an expensive piece of gear.
After 5 decades of backpacking, I've settled on a Hefty trash compacter bag, with a minimal slit each side cut for the pack straps. I reinforce the top & bottom of the slit with a small piece of reinforced packing tape. For a small pack you'd cut the trash compactor bag down. Rain jacket & pants are froggstoggs. These items can all be patched for quite awhile and then eventually replaced dirt cheap!

I've been thinking about lining the inside of my pack with one and dealing with a wet pack but not as someone who likes to lean towards the UL type hiker I don't want the added water weight or wear that will occur due to running with a soaked pack. (yes I like to run with a full pack) With that being said I'm guessing you place it upside down over the pack just like a regular rain cover? If so is there anyway you could send a pic to better understand exactly how you worked it with your straps?

bigcranky
08-09-2014, 20:14
I have a cuben pack liner from Zpacks, and it works very well in heavy rain. My Sea to Summit silnylon pack cover, however, soaked through like a sponge -- though my partner's S2s pack cover worked just fine. Maybe mine's old. But I'm going to replace it with a Zpacks cuben pack cover.

A Marmot Precip rain shell is a good choice and often on sale for well under $100. It's good in the rain but also has other uses as a layering piece. More so than a poncho, anyway. I do like the Packa and on our Long Trail hike I think it would have been the perfect choice. Maybe there's a Cuben Packa out there? Hmm, that would cost more than my first car. :)

RockDoc
08-09-2014, 22:30
Don't ever rely just on a pack cover, no matter how strong you think it is. In a long hard downpour, water will make it's way inside the pack. Ask me how I know... Yes, I've had the 100 lb down sleeping bag experience (only slightly exaggerating).

That's why you put everything important inside plastic bags inside the pack. Turkey baster and trash compactor bags are the most durable that I've found. Most other kinds of bags don't last very long.

q-tip
08-10-2014, 15:03
I bought a cueben pack cover (1 oz.) for $50. Well worth it, the rip stop nylon cover at 3 oz. soaked thru all the time.

Tiftdvm
08-10-2014, 16:34
So I was wondering..when you get where you are going and it is still raining...you can't really take off the packa to keep the pack dry..but still have on rain gear. So I am wondering how that works? Or just have a garbage bag to toss over the pack?

ChuckT
08-10-2014, 20:07
Just got a Packa so I suppose I'm bound to find out sooner if not later. But I intend to carry a trash bag to line the inside of my pack and carry my hammock tarp in an outside pocket so I can deploy it first.