PDA

View Full Version : Calling all HELP!!

Damn Yankee
07-27-2014, 08:35
I have just learned that I have an opportunity to hike the Sierra Nevada's in September for six days. They sent along a packing list of things I will need to bring. I am in need of at least three items for now. I would like to now if anyone would allow me to borrow a 80L internal pack capable of carrying 40-50 pounds, puff jacket(L) and a synthetic 0* bag. All items will be well taken care of and cleaned before return.

kayak karl
07-27-2014, 09:32
i have this pack (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rei/mars-pack/) you can use, but i don't know the liters. easily carry the weight.

Lyle
07-27-2014, 09:44
I could probably help you out with my "loaner" pack. Camp Trails Velocity II. I believe it is around 4500-4900 cubic inches. It is a HUGE pack by today's standards. Internal frame, I'm quite certain it can handle 50 lbs. Weighs about 4.8 lbs according to my bathroom scale. I use this as a loaner and for canoe camping. It is not in pristine condition, some of the polyurethane coating is peeling from the inside, but still appears to be solid and very serviceable. No tears or fraying stitching that I'm aware of. I even have a box in my utility room that this pack should fit in.

What type of trip is this you are going on? Sounds like an organized hike or work trip? Will this be your first time in the Sierras?

I'm heading to Yosemite for a John Muir Trail thru hike from 8/20 - 9/13. Excited, love the Sierras. Let me know if this interests you. I will be leaving for my trip on Aug 12, so will have to get this off to you before then.

Lyle
07-27-2014, 10:02
Although not exactly what you requested, I do have a Kelty 15 degree down sleeping bag that I hardly ever use. Again, it has been relegated to "loaner" status. While September in the Sierras can get cold, I can't imagine that a 15 degree bag with your other insulating layers wouldn't keep you toasty warm. Again, not the lightest down bag, but probably lighter than any 0 degree synthetic. Great condition. Kelty Arete. 3.5 lbs. Stored in cotton storage bag, I lost the stuff sack for this bag.

This bag has been lightly used, never laundered. I always use a bag liner, would ask you to do the same. I can include a silk liner with it if you do not have one. Weighs about 5 oz or less. Let me know. Can't help you with the jacket.

Malto
07-27-2014, 12:28
I would question the wisdom of anyone suggesting a zero degree bag for the Sierra in Sept. I have spent many a nights in Sept and have never been a bit cold in my 20deg down quilt. It may open your options up a bit.

Damn Yankee
07-27-2014, 12:58
The hike is through a group called Outward Bounds which has trips for Vets. free of charge. It will be a 6 day trip in the Fresno area. The packing list calls for an 80 L (4900ci)pack that can handle 40-50lbs. They also suggest a synthetic bag over down and 0* rating for Sept/Oct courses. I understand your opinion Malto and agree 100% but, going by the packing list sent. As far as the pack goes, I will let the people who responded know shortly, as I am in the process of possibly acquiring one.

Likeapuma
07-27-2014, 15:00
Seems kind of odd... Is it a "recommended" packing list? If you have the proven gear to go lighter smaller, why would they have an issue?

Call them up & ask. It's for military, not run by the military... You won't get smoked for not bringing any green socks :P

AfghanVet
07-27-2014, 22:37
You got a different packing list than me brother, mine says to only worry about clothing and everything else is provided. Is your advisor Kelley App? I will double check tomorrow.

Damn Yankee
07-28-2014, 06:50
Yes, it is. There is the clothing list and then a small section that states stuff you can bring and recommendations.

Studlintsean
07-28-2014, 08:29
Thank you for your service and I also have a pack I would be willing to loan you. It is a Deuter 65+ 10 ACT lite.

Lyle
07-28-2014, 08:49
AfghanVet, If Damn Yankee doesn't need the items I offered, I extend the same offer to you.

I would like to add my Thank You to both of you for your service, something I have only contributed in civilian life. Not the same, I know, not even close.