PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Creek Gap to NOC Questions and Info?

slbirdnerd
07-27-2014, 20:02
Hi, all. Planning on Dicks' Creek Gap to the NOC in a week or two and looking for info. What's not to miss in this section other than the obvious views? Where am I likely to get a Verizon cell signal a day or so south of NOC to call for my shuttle? How many days has it taken people to hike this section? Thanks!

daddytwosticks
07-28-2014, 07:16
You will get a great Verzon signal atop Wayah Bald. Great section! :)

slbirdnerd
07-28-2014, 08:12
Thanks! I will note that on my Guide page. Can't wait, I know it could be hot and humid and buggy and maybe rainy but going to give it my best shot. This is my last chance for a longer hike this year.

daddytwosticks
07-28-2014, 16:16
It's too bad you couldn't go this week. Supposed to have cooler, dryer weather due to a recent cold front passing thru. Wish I could go. :(

saltysack
07-28-2014, 19:03
You will get a great Verzon signal atop Wayah Bald. Great section! :)

Do any of y'all know if there is any AT&T cell signal between wayah gap and the NOC. My wife is concerned. If no cell signal she wants me to buy a spot device which I do not want to do

saltysack
07-28-2014, 19:06
She's not concerned with me but it's my eight-year-old's first hike....

Deacon
07-28-2014, 22:02
To answer your second question, I did that section in three and a half days. Depending on your daily mileage, you may need four and a half.

slbirdnerd
07-29-2014, 09:08
Thanks, Deacon! Hey, if you are on a thru right now I think I have been reading some of your trail journal and that you may have hiked with Cary S. for a bit. I gave him a hitch after my last section back in June. If that's you hope all is well and happy hiking!

Gambit McCrae
07-29-2014, 13:31
wayah bald, wesser firetower. NOC :) lol all good spots

Gambit McCrae
07-29-2014, 13:31
Leave some good time in NOC, its worth a burger and beer as I always say. The climb down to NOC is about as steep as it gets in the south

Night Train
07-29-2014, 16:02
slbirdnerd....this past March I did Rock Gap to NOC in 2 days, I think 3 or 3.5 is doable from DCG. I had no problem getting a Verizon signal from Siler Bald, Wayah Tower, Copper Ridge Bald, Wesser Tower. Maybe I'll run into you, doing Deep Gap to Fontana starting 8/3. Hope the info helps, peace.

Deacon
07-29-2014, 16:36
Thanks, Deacon! Hey, if you are on a thru right now I think I have been reading some of your trail journal and that you may have hiked with Cary S. for a bit. I gave him a hitch after my last section back in June. If that's you hope all is well and happy hiking!

Yeah, Cary and I hopscotched each other from Springer up to Virginia.

Cary is a former newspaper reporter and is an expert interviewer. He's collecting hiker stories and is writing a book as he goes. He stop in the library of every trail town and updates his book on computer.

slbirdnerd
07-30-2014, 10:17
slbirdnerd....this past March I did Rock Gap to NOC in 2 days, I think 3 or 3.5 is doable from DCG. I had no problem getting a Verizon signal from Siler Bald, Wayah Tower, Copper Ridge Bald, Wesser Tower. Maybe I'll run into you, doing Deep Gap to Fontana starting 8/3. Hope the info helps, peace.

I may very well run into you, depending on pace. Tried to PM you but seems I can't. If I don't see ya on the trail, have a great hike!