PDA

View Full Version : On average what is avg daily milage for a 8 year old?!

saltysack
07-28-2014, 12:31
I'm taking my 8 yr old son on his first backpacking trip this week...planning to hike back to NOC from either burningtown gap or uses 69..then go rafting...thoughts

Another Kevin
07-28-2014, 12:44
8-year-old: daily mileage varies greatly. With most kids that age, you're trying to make it fun, not necessarily get anywhere. Out-and-back is best. or mosey around short loops. Kick up the distance when the kid wants to.

Mobius
07-28-2014, 13:22
I've been using "a mile per year of age" as the maximum so far. My daughter just did a 9.5 mile day (at age 8.5 - she says the half matters!) though the original plan was 8 for day. We'd done 3 miles the day before. For her going any further would have entered the "not fun" zone. We need time to chill at camp, explore, have a fire, roast marshmallows, scramble on rocks, catch a sunset, etc. to make it fun. Setting up and breaking down camp takes longer though she's great about pulling her weight when it comes to camp chores. She carries her own pack and gear (total carry weight including pack was 9 pounds this last trip). I carry the food, cook kit/stove, and the bulk of the water.

Mid-day highlights and goals are key. She digs creek crossing and rock scrambles so I pick trails with those in mind.

We progressed from one night car camping to multi-night car camping to single night backpacking (short 3 mile days) to our current multi-night backpacking. One step at a time. We've slowly establishished a pattern and expectations which helps minimize surprises.

The biggest thing for ME to remember is that we hike at her pace. We usually end up in the 1 to 1.5 mph range. I usually let her lead so I don't revert back to my own pace. It also means multiple decent length breaks. I tend to carry a lot more water especially in the summer where water sources are spotty. We had a bum spring our last trip and I was glad to have the reserve cache.

sympathetic joy
07-28-2014, 13:40
The biggest thing for ME to remember is that we hike at her pace. We usually end up in the 1 to 1.5 mph range. I usually let her lead so I don't revert back to my own pace.

+1.

That is the secret. Let the child lead. Teach them the responsibility of being in front while allowing them to set the pace.

Another Kevin
07-28-2014, 13:49
That is the secret. Let the child lead. Teach them the responsibility of being in front while allowing them to set the pace.

Yup. I always made a game with my daughter of "Make sure you look behind you on the way in, because you're leading on the way out!" (And I let her lead, and let her make some mistakes, biting my tongue as we wandered a half a mile down the wrong blue blaze.)

Sometime when my daughter was in mid-to-late teens, I clarified that to, "because God forbid anything should happen to me, you need to find your way out," but by then she was able to handle the idea.

saltysack
07-28-2014, 13:58
Thx all for the input...

HooKooDooKu
07-28-2014, 14:01
For a 1st backpacking trip, I would limit the distance to an average of between 5 and 7 miles per day.
I would expect your speed to be a little less than about 2MPH + 1 hour for every 1,000' ascent... including breaks.

For a comparison, my 8yo recently hiked the Grand Canyon. I think it took us about 10 hours to hike from Bright Angle Camp Ground to the rim on Bright Angle Trail. The trail is about 9 miles long (4.5 hours) with about a 5,000' ascent (+5 hours), taking a longer than usual lunch (extra +30 minutes).

lemon b
07-28-2014, 14:12
One was good for 9, middle was lifelong in a whellechair,never talked, g-tube, treck,and has since passed Loved Walk for Sunsine, and the youngest was good for maybe 5 and Dad carried all the equipment. But we got out the house. So it varies. Sometimes or most of the time keeping everyone home.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-28-2014, 14:55
I know of a 6yr old and an 8 yr old to whom 20 miles is a good morning, and 12 yr, 8yr, and 6yr olds who struggle at 5 miles. There is no other way to look at this than "your mileage may vary" and that each child will rise to the challenge depending on his/her abilities. Don't overstress them by anyone's, even your, preconceptions on how much they should be able to do. Test them gently, and gradually, and enjoy the hike.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-28-2014, 15:02
Sometime when my daughter was in mid-to-late teens, I clarified that to, "because God forbid anything should happen to me, you need to find your way out," but by then she was able to handle the idea.

Snacktime was exposed to this concept a little earlier...for obvious reasons. We opted for the "Who's your first call? (and only move from your spot to enable that call, using the Hansel and Gretl approach to find your way back if necessary). We also never hike alone more than a mile or so from some form of civilization....or the car...if it can be helped.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-28-2014, 15:04
middle was lifelong in a whellechair,never talked, g-tube, treck,and has since passed Loved Walk for Sunsine, .

I'm sorry for your sadness, and happy you were both able to enjoy the sunshine.

Ricky&Jack
07-28-2014, 15:06
If Im told to leave my dog at home because theres no room for them on the trail, then you leave your kids at home.

(Im kidding,though)

Ricky&Jack
07-28-2014, 15:20
I do like the "let kids lead" method.

once they start slacking and slowing down, its time to find an end.

slbirdnerd
07-28-2014, 15:25
Get started by letting the kids help/have input into planning the trip. :) Plus what everyone else says...

Ricky&Jack
07-28-2014, 15:29
yeah, make it fun.

it will help if the "end" has something fun. Like a waterfall they can look forward too.

But you mentioned rafting. So you are already int eh right direction.

saltysack
07-28-2014, 15:40
If Im told to leave my dog at home because theres no room for them on the trail, then you leave your kids at home.

(Im kidding,though)

Trail tuck goes w me on every hike!! He's going also... He's a lil jrt....still trying to figure out what to do w him on sun while were rafting.....http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/29/yvubaned.jpg

Ricky&Jack
07-28-2014, 16:04
have you asked if he's allowed on raft? Some places may let him with a life vest, and trimmed nails.

Also, you should call the rafting place up and ask if they have a kennel or know of one near by. I bet you aren't the first person to ask.

HooKooDooKu
07-28-2014, 16:29
I personally wouldn't risk allowing a child to hike even one mile in the woods alone. If they should take a wrong turn or fall off the trail, it could become nearly impossible to find them. Instead, I've always tried to teach my kids to respect the dangers of the back country, including the possibility that there are no guarantee that nothing will ever happen to me. I've taught them that we always leave an itinerary with someone who can contact the authorities if we are late, and I've taught them that if anything were to happen to me, they should 'shelter-in-place' until someone someone arrives to help them.

However, after recently seeing a teen carrying Bear Spray, I've considered adding that to my kids' gear.
For hiking around GSMNP, I've never carried bear spray myself nor to I ever plan to. But if something were to happen to me, I sort of like the idea that the kids would have something more than hiking sticks to defend themselves against bears, pigs, and coyotes should they ever find themselves alone.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-28-2014, 16:31
Get started by letting the kids help/have input into planning the trip. :) Plus what everyone else says...

If you ever need "points of interest" info, let me know. Of course, I gleaned most of mine by asking for it here, but I do have some "tried and true" to impart in some places.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-28-2014, 16:36
I personally wouldn't risk allowing a child to hike even one mile in the woods alone. If they should take a wrong turn or fall off the trail, it could become nearly impossible to find them. Instead, I've always tried to teach my kids to respect the dangers of the back country, including the possibility that there are no guarantee that nothing will ever happen to me. I've taught them that we always leave an itinerary with someone who can contact the authorities if we are late, and I've taught them that if anything were to happen to me, they should 'shelter-in-place' until someone someone arrives to help them.

However, after recently seeing a teen carrying Bear Spray, I've considered adding that to my kids' gear.
For hiking around GSMNP, I've never carried bear spray myself nor to I ever plan to. But if something were to happen to me, I sort of like the idea that the kids would have something more than hiking sticks to defend themselves against bears, pigs, and coyotes should they ever find themselves alone.

While I agree with this in theory (not the bear spray stuff though), I've found that a certain independence on the trail when they're ready isn't a bad thing, and will certainly teach them greater confidence and independence. This past spring, Snacktime embarked on 2 short solos, both in order to meet others a short distance ahead (as it turned out, < 1 mile each time). I knew he was fully capable of keeping to the trail and following the blazes, though of course it didn't stop me from nail-biting as I sat and rested on my rock. As to the wildlife threat, well, let's just say that he is not one to tread lightly, or silently. Besides, he's almost larger than almost anything he's likely to encounter now!

They have to grow up, no matter how nerve-wracking it is for us that they do so.

HooKooDooKu
07-28-2014, 17:31
I've found that a certain independence on the trail when they're ready isn't a bad thing, and will certainly teach them greater confidence and independence.
When it is age appropriate, I'd have to agree... and as they've ages and gained some experience, they have not had to stick quite so close to dad as they did when we first started hiking. Once both my boys are teenagers, I've always figured that would be about the time I would let them hike on their own (using the buddy system) when we do our annual family hike to Mt LeConte Lodge (GSMNP). But for now, neither boy is even a teenager, so they've still got to hang close to dad while camping.

Another Kevin
07-28-2014, 18:01

It varies with the kid. My daughter's instructions when she was small were indeed to "shelter in place." The game of "you're on lead" was to get her the practice of finding her own way out. By mid-to-late teens, she was functionally an adult for the purpose of this discussion.

I let her lead a day hike with her friends - and without me - the week she got her driver's license and no longer depended on me for transportation to the trailhead. She asked me if she could. I replied, "Let me see your safety plan." She already had one written. It was sound, and it was on a trail we'd done several times before. I worried only a little, because we'd done exercises like having her lead, having her plan and pack her own supplies, and so on. She knew what she was doing, and the kids had a great time. Some of the mommies were about to say, 'absolutely not!' until they read the information packet that she gave them (detailed itinerary and emergency contacts, instructions of what and what not to bring and wear, topo map with trails highlighted). They decided, after seeing it, that the kids did have adult supervision.

It was when she was about the same age that her godmother read one of my trip reports, and chided me for having her along when an online guidebook that I'd linked to warned that one of the trails was not to be attempted unless you were an expert hiker with proper equipment. (OK, the trail was a little sketchy in spots...) Before I could answer, my daughter interrupted and told Godmother, "My father has had me out doing this since I was eight years old, and always seen to it that I had the proper gear. I think I am an experienced hiker with proper equipment." It was a "the kids grow up, don't they?" moment for Godmother.

shelb
07-28-2014, 20:25
+1.

That is the secret. Let the child lead. Teach them the responsibility of being in front while allowing them to set the pace.to

SO TRUE!!! My eight year old would do 7 to 12 miles days - depending on what we say and where the shelters were. I will never forget one hike when we frequently saw milipeeds (centipeeds?? - some type of worm like bug with a bunch of legs) on the trail. At first he stomped on some. After we had long discussions about the value of all types of life, he began to stop whenever he saw one on the trail to pick it up and set it to the side of the trail. ----Yes, this slowed us down, but what a cherished lesson and memory!!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-28-2014, 20:37
It varies with the kid. My daughter's instructions when she was small were indeed to "shelter in place." The game of "you're on lead" was to get her the practice of finding her own way out. By mid-to-late teens, she was functionally an adult for the purpose of this discussion.

I let her lead a day hike with her friends - and without me - the week she got her driver's license and no longer depended on me for transportation to the trailhead. She asked me if she could. I replied, "Let me see your safety plan." She already had one written. It was sound, and it was on a trail we'd done several times before. I worried only a little, because we'd done exercises like having her lead, having her plan and pack her own supplies, and so on. She knew what she was doing, and the kids had a great time. Some of the mommies were about to say, 'absolutely not!' until they read the information packet that she gave them (detailed itinerary and emergency contacts, instructions of what and what not to bring and wear, topo map with trails highlighted). They decided, after seeing it, that the kids did have adult supervision.

It was when she was about the same age that her godmother read one of my trip reports, and chided me for having her along when an online guidebook that I'd linked to warned that one of the trails was not to be attempted unless you were an expert hiker with proper equipment. (OK, the trail was a little sketchy in spots...) Before I could answer, my daughter interrupted and told Godmother, "My father has had me out doing this since I was eight years old, and always seen to it that I had the proper gear. I think I am an experienced hiker with proper equipment." It was a "the kids grow up, don't they?" moment for Godmother.

Oh my....an information packet for the parents? She is SO YOUR DAUGHTER !!! :D

Teacher & Snacktime
07-28-2014, 20:41
When it is age appropriate, I'd have to agree... and as they've ages and gained some experience, they have not had to stick quite so close to dad as they did when we first started hiking.

I'm completely with you here.....Snacktime wasn't allowed out of my sight - LITERALLY - for our first full year of hiking. Now I give him more latitude, but I still insist he wear screaming-bright colors so I can pick him out from farther away! He pats me on the head and patronizingly nods and says "Yes, Grandma. I promise I won't get lost." Brat child.....but safe brat child :)

HooKooDooKu
07-28-2014, 22:47
What I tell my kids is... if they are out of sight for any length of time, and during that time is when they should slip and fall down the side of a hill (perhaps knocking them out to where they can't call for help), I might hike right by them and not know where they've fallen. If I then hike a quarter, half, or full mile before deciding they are lost, the search area quickly gets really large.

There's an example of one the boys hiking Hannah Mtn Trail in GSMNP. There's a lot of other trails where the surrounding terrain is much steeper and the footing isn't always as good as you see here.

Another Kevin
07-28-2014, 22:49
He pats me on the head and patronizingly nods and says "Yes, Grandma. I promise I won't get lost." Brat child.....but safe brat child :)

I can SO see Snacktime doing that! 27912

Teacher & Snacktime
07-28-2014, 22:55
I can SO see Snacktime doing that! 27912

It's even more effective now that he's a head taller than I am. Next time you see him he might be taller than you, AK! He's at perfect head-patting height.....sigh.

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 00:11
I seem to recall a thread last year maybe about hiking with kids and strategies for keeping them in-touch but hiking seperate...it was a good one with some great advice as I recall...things like stop just before any road head and wait for me to catch up, walkie talkies...bunch of good ones.

saltysack
07-29-2014, 09:18
Thx for all the great tips.... Now thinking we should just do out and back as I'm uncertain of his desire to walk too far...any reccs? Had planned on being near NOC so we could also go rafting... Maybe park at winding stair and go the 4 miles to top hike down next day??

saltysack
07-29-2014, 09:18
Siler bald

HooKooDooKu
07-29-2014, 10:18
Thx for all the great tips.... Now thinking we should just do out and back as I'm uncertain of his desire to walk too far
But walking isn't even half of the over all experience of camping in the woods.

And you don't have to walk far to still be able to camp overnight. I know that up in GSMNP, there are several camp sites that are within 2.5 miles of the trailhead (some even as close as a mile or less). Just don't try to go too far, and don't start too early in the day so that you're not having to find a way to keep the 8yo entertained for 8+ hours once you get to camp. 3 to 4 hours is all that is needed to setup camp, do camp chores, and perhaps even build a camp fire.

One suggestion to help make it fun would be to bring along hotdogs and cook them over the fire for dinner. You can keep the dogs in a cooler in the car until you're at the trail head.

FlyPaper
07-29-2014, 12:18
Yup. I always made a game with my daughter of "Make sure you look behind you on the way in, because you're leading on the way out!" (And I let her lead, and let her make some mistakes, biting my tongue as we wandered a half a mile down the wrong blue blaze.)

I ask my kids several times on a hike the following question:

"If I fell and conked my head on a rock and wasn't conscious, what would you do?"

First of all, I'm actually more worried about heart attack or something like that and I want to make sure my kids can think through the logistics. But no need to make my own demise seem more a realistic possibility to them. But it does give me a chance to quiz them with a more comical visual as a preface.

The answer varies depending on time of day and where we are on the trail. Sometimes the answer is to go backwards, sometimes it is to go forward, sometimes it involves preparing for the night. Of course it always starts with checking for cell phone reception.