PDA

View Full Version : porqupines

neo
10-06-2005, 11:59
are porqupines very active in vermont,newhampshire,and mass,during october
i am leaving for newhampshire tommorrow,for a southbound section hike,from kinsman notch nh to dalton mass.:cool: neo

rickb
10-06-2005, 13:20
Why dont you leave your boots outside your tent and find out? :)

Seriously, I think they are active all year round. I see them most in the winter, but I suspect that's because they are easier to see without leaves on the trees.

You are going through PRIME porqupine territory. I hope you see a bunch!

Rick B

stupe
10-06-2005, 23:53
They're slow moving, and harmless creatures unless you leave your stuff where they can get it, or try to pet them. I've had them come into shelters, and thumping on the floor usually makes them turn around and leave. If they don't, I bet you could use a stick and gently push them out of the shelter. Some times jack****s pile up rocks in the shelters to throw at them, but that's jack****s for you.
I did Vermont to NY last year around this time, and didn't see a single porcupine.
Have a good trip, dude.

Roland
10-07-2005, 04:15
Porcupines are common in northern New England. They are mostly nocturnal. Porcupines are more active (and therefore more commonly seen) during mating season, which occurs in early fall.

Porcupines are not aggressive, and pose no threat to humans. They do, however, like to gnaw. It might be wise to keep salt-impregnated boots and pack in the security of your shelter.

Roland