PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Permit?

HikerHarris
07-28-2014, 20:40
Is a permit required to hike in SNP? We're planning a short trip to SNP for some day hikes. The AT website says permits "are required of all backcountry travelers". But the National Park Services page it links to never mentions hiking and only discusses camping and needing a permit for that (we will not be camping).

Another National Park Services page that comes up when you Google this says permits "are required of all thru-hikers and overnight backcountry travelers." The page it links to, however, is dead.

I'm wondering if maybe you used to need a permit for hiking and camping but now you only need one for camping. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks in advance for your help!

BuckeyeBill
07-28-2014, 21:14
Yes they do. It is free and you get it at the entry points.

johnnybgood
07-28-2014, 21:36
Backcountry permits are needed for overnight camping but not required for hiking the trails .

shelb
07-28-2014, 21:59
It is NO big deal to get the permit. When you enter, just fill out the information. This is NOT like other trails (sections of the North Country Trail), where they limit your camping locations....

HikerHarris
07-28-2014, 22:07
OK. The only reason I asked is that I have some time before we leave and the website says you can send in the form ahead of time. I was going to do that to save us a few minutes but then realized the form seems to be more about camping, which we aren't planning.

Ricky&Jack
07-28-2014, 22:08
its basically a sign-in sheet.

Not a big deal to get. super easy.

BuckeyeBill
07-28-2014, 22:30
I would rather have a "free permit" in my hand then try to convince a park ranger that I am not a thru hiker and not camping.

shelb
07-28-2014, 22:45
The purpose of the SNP permit is mainly for emergency purposes. They know "about" where you are... Do not worry if your itinerary changes!!!

Rocket Jones
07-29-2014, 05:51
The purpose of the SNP permit is mainly for emergency purposes. They know "about" where you are... Do not worry if your itinerary changes!!!

+1 on this.

The permits are free, but there is a fee to get into the park.

The Old Chief
07-29-2014, 09:48
You do not need a permit of any kind to day hike in SNP. You need the permit if you are tenting or staying in one of the trail shelters overnight. You do pay an entrance fee of $15.00 to drive into the park. If you are over 62 you can use the National Park Service Seniors pass and three more people and you can enter the park for free. If Park Rangers spent their time checking all hikers in the Park for permits they would never have time for any other duties.

Hikemor
07-29-2014, 20:55
Also, some of the more popular off-ridge trailheads (e.g. Old Rag) have self-serve parking fees.

Traveler
08-03-2014, 10:39
I would rather have a "free permit" in my hand then try to convince a park ranger that I am not a thru hiker and not camping.

I can see that conversation.....

Ranger: Are you through hiking?
Hiker: no, I am not through with hiking
Ranger: No no, I meant are you through hiking here?
Hiker: Silly question, I am hiking here so I'm not through yet
Ranger: Ok, are you camping here?
Hiker: As you can see, I am not, I am walking here, but not through yet
Ranger: Lets try this, are you hiking the AT?
Hiker: I'm on the AT here now, but not through with it here
Ranger: So you are going to sleep in the park?
Hiker: No, I'm fully awake
Ranger: <sigh> OK, are you planning on camping out in the park before you are through with the AT?
Hiker: I've not decided yet.
Ranger: Then you will need a permit
Hiker: Where do I get the permit for deciding?
Ranger: Lets call this a draw....

BuckeyeBill
08-03-2014, 16:24
i can see that conversation.....

Ranger: Are you through hiking?
Hiker: No, i am not through with hiking
ranger: No no, i meant are you through hiking here?
Hiker: Silly question, i am hiking here so i'm not through yet
ranger: Ok, are you camping here?
Hiker: As you can see, i am not, i am walking here, but not through yet
ranger: Lets try this, are you hiking the at?
Hiker: I'm on the at here now, but not through with it here
ranger: So you are going to sleep in the park?
Hiker: No, i'm fully awake
ranger: <sigh> ok, are you planning on camping out in the park before you are through with the at?
Hiker: I've not decided yet.
Ranger: Then you will need a permit
hiker: Where do i get the permit for deciding?
Ranger: Lets call this a draw....

roflmao.................