PDA

View Full Version : Cigarettes/Dip

Woody213
07-29-2014, 09:21
Do any of you guys/gals smoke/dip regularly? How many have carried cigarettes/dip on your thru hike? I was thinking maybe getting an electronic cigarette but then I have to deal with charging it. Ive heard people mention smoking while at hostels/ in town.

Gambit McCrae
07-29-2014, 09:48
In my experiences this year I have seen just as many smokers and non. Not alot of dippers

Woody213
07-29-2014, 09:51
I was thinking dip because I can make a can last 3 or 4 days compared to half a pack a day and smoking and hiking just isnt that fun

Likeapuma
07-29-2014, 10:10
I don't dip, but I'd think you'd have more freedom to dip without offending others around you.

I enjoy cigars, but rarely bring them because I know at least one person would get annoyed wherever I decided to stay.

Just Bill
07-29-2014, 10:10
Good time to quit...
or roll your own- pouch of Drum or decent tobacco will last you a few days at least at half a pack a day. And you tend to smoke less often too.
Likely have to mail drop the pouches to yourself though, decent tobacco gets hard to find and nothing worse than reaching for the ol tobbacie pouch and finding you picked up a stale pouch that's been sitting on a shelf for six months.

If you do smoke- pack out your butts. Same with the tobacco pouches, they don't decompose. Cigarette butts don't burn either, they just melt- so pack em out.
Or smoke good ol Pall Mall's, English Ovals when you can and avoid the trouble.

or quit....:)

Woody213
07-29-2014, 10:28
I tried quittin but I enjoy smoking. I used to roll my own but we used injectors and tubes. Seems like to much to carry. I even thought about getting some papers and an actual roller. It just seems like its end up weighing more and being bulkier. I also dont want to have to go to town just for smokes. I want to go to town as little as possible. And I always pack out my butts. As a smoker I cant stand seeing cigarette butts everywhere.

Gambit McCrae
07-29-2014, 10:57
Woody I highly doubt you will smoke a half a pack a day on the trail. I am a smoker and I ussually smoke 3 a day, possibly 4. Morning, lunch, dinner before bed. You just dont have time when walking lol

RED-DOG
07-29-2014, 10:59
YES i smoked on all three of my thru's, the way i did it is i would buy about 3 or 4 pouches of TOP Tobacco or a similar brand ( Roll ur own ) empty them into an Zip-Lock bag and that would last me until my next resupply ( every 5-6 days ), I would smoke one in the morning, one at lunch, one at the end of the day, and one at my breaks but i never smoked as i was walking 4-5 cigs a day is all i smoked, but i never saw a Dipper, but please remember don't smoke in side the shelters ( unless you are alone then it's okay ) go outside. Yeah every time i Rolled one up and if they was some one around me they always thought i was rolling something else HA HA HA HA:dance

RED-DOG
07-29-2014, 11:01
And i should add that smoking Did not hurt my hiking abilties at all in fact i was out hiking most of the NONE smokers.

4shot
07-29-2014, 11:06
I like chewing tobacco but try to refrain from regular (daily) use. At a little store in Monson, I picked up a pouch of Beechnut. the guy rang it up it was over $14 iirc for a package I would typically pay $4 for. I asked the guy if there was a mistake but he said no, tobacco has extremely high taxes up there (no kidding). I started to put it back but thought to myself..."how many times am I going to be walking thru the 100 MW at the end of a thruhike?" The answer was "probably only once" so I treated myself. Enjoyed it immensely.

Damn Yankee
07-29-2014, 11:35
smokes are fairly cheap here in VA, even for name brand but, the further north you go, the more expensive. In R.I. and M.A. your going to pay over $10 a pack so, you would definitely want someone to ship ahead.

Lone Wolf
07-29-2014, 12:38
i used to sell them on the trail in the south for $10 a pack to folks tryin' to quit

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 12:56
i used to sell them on the trail in the south for $10 a pack to folks tryin' to quit..........................27915

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 13:02
I use to smoke and dip on the job when I couldn't smoke, quit many years ago, chewed the gum off and on too. I don't see how you smokers can hike to the top of a mountain and light up...that would kill me, literally....

I never got into the e-ciggs or vaporizer thingy's but have nieces and nephews who do...just another drug delivery system, but yup you'd have to keep it charged...bring a spare battery pack I guess, not sure what it's charging requirements are.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-29-2014, 13:42
i used to sell them on the trail in the south for $10 a pack to folks tryin' to quit

25 years of 2 packs a day did their damage. Been quit for 15 years but I still struggle with the uphills :(

Lone Wolf, that was just plain wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
07-29-2014, 13:49
Do any of you guys/gals smoke/dip regularly? How many have carried cigarettes/dip on your thru hike? I was thinking maybe getting an electronic cigarette but then I have to deal with charging it. Ive heard people mention smoking while at hostels/ in town.

I hike a good bit in CT and MA and I'm always surprised how many thru hikers that make it this far are smokers.

I quit years ago and of course I'm going to recommend that as the best plan, but if you are going to smoke on the trail, pouch tobacco and rolling papers are the way to go. I got real good at rolling them back in the day and when you're hiking you have plenty of free time to learn how to roll a smoke.

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 13:58
25 years of 2 packs a day did their damage. Been quit for 15 years but I still struggle with the uphills :(

I think he may just be funnin' but funnier still, he may not be. Ya know, you and I if in that situation would have gladly thanked him for his service with a thousand thank yous while genuflecting....and in that instance, he would have been a life saver...an on looker witnessing that transaction would likely have hung there head shaking it and think...

...But by the grace of GOD, there go I.

Rolls Kanardly
07-29-2014, 14:00
I enjoy cigars, but rarely bring them because I know at least one person would get annoyed wherever I decided to stay.

I have not smoked since the late sixties but a good cigar keeps the mosquitos away. At least it did when I was trout fishing.

Rolls

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 14:10
I have not smoked since the late sixties but a good cigar keeps the mosquitos away. At least it did when I was trout fishing.

Rolls
hiked with a fella last year who picked up a resupply and in that resupply was a nalgene bottle full ci-gars, I thought that was a great way to store em and keep em fresh...apparently so did he, hehe I like the smell of cigars, but pipe smoke chokes me...go figure.

flemdawg1
07-29-2014, 14:38
Seen it at school lots of times but never saw anyone dipping on the trail.27918

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 14:42
Seen it at school lots of times but never saw anyone dipping on the trail.27918...one of my daughters friends swears by this stuff, hehe

Odd Man Out
07-29-2014, 14:43
I just hiked for a few days on the AT earlier this month. I am not a smoker, but ran into a number of hikers (thru and section) who smoked. I also observed that quite a few rolled their own cigarettes. I commented about this to one of the smokers and he agreed that it is quite common. Not sure why.

Lone Wolf
07-29-2014, 14:47

supply and demand. i was providing a service

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 14:54
supply and demand. i was providing a service
Business 101;

No GAINS no Maine, hehe

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-29-2014, 15:21
I think he may just be funnin' but funnier still, he may not be. Ya know, you and I if in that situation would have gladly thanked him for his service with a thousand thank yous while genuflecting....and in that instance, he would have been a life saver...an on looker witnessing that transaction would likely have hung there head shaking it and think...

...But by the grace of GOD, there go I.

Believe me I quit enough times before I QUIT to be right there with you. And I sure would have. Heck I would have started a bidding war if he was down to the last pack and some else wanted them as well. I had it pretty bad - smh in shame. I truly meant my remark to Lone Wolf light-heartedly.

Woody213
07-29-2014, 15:23
Maybe ill look into rollin my own or maybe just grab a pack for a morning and end of the day and dip while hiking.

thecyclops
07-29-2014, 16:57
I cant believe that people still smoke. (obviously I see it everyday) I wake up everyday wanting to be healthier than the day before,to push my body,to make myself strong (for the trail) and just life in general.I want to be mobile and healthy,many,many years from now,and I just cant fathom how people wake up and do the exact opposite,ESPECIALLY when they know the dangers...Does no one have will power,or enough care for themselves to stop?
This is why I have to hike alone.Everyone I know that says they can hike,cant even remotely keep up,because of smoking.I dont get it,I never will.

Sarcasm the elf
07-29-2014, 17:34
Don't knock it til you try it.

Venchka
07-29-2014, 17:45
Pipe? Bueller ? Anybody ?

Wayne

thecyclops
07-29-2014, 18:13
Don't knock it til you try it.
1st,the things I say here aren't meant to belittle anyone and Im not trying to be ugly to anyone,however Im not going to sugar coat it either,so apologies ahead of time if I offend...
I smoked from 15-22 years of age and one evening at work,I walked outside to the trash area and was wheezing and out of breath,just taking the trash out.At a green 22 years of age,even when everyone I worked with smoked,I was smart enough to see what road I was heading down and I quit that very evening. Anyone who says they smoke because they like too are lying to me and themselves,the reason they smoke is because they are addicted and dont want to show some dedication,heart and sacrifice for a week or 2 and just quit.I know its hard,but lots of people do it,its called will power.Either you care about yourself (and others) and quit,or you keep digging yourself into an early grave.
Here in NC,in the County I live in,every city building,every city school and every city park is tobacco free (dip also,not just smoking) and its only going to become more common in the U.S. to not be able to smoke in many areas.I for one wish they would ban smoking everywhere but ones home...I suppose one can wish.

Likeapuma
07-29-2014, 20:08
Anyone who says they smoke because they like too are lying to me and themselves,the reason they smoke is because they are addicted and dont want to show some dedication,heart and sacrifice for a week or 2 and just quit.I know its hard,but lots of people do it,its called will power.Either you care about yourself (and others) and quit,or you keep digging yourself into an early grave.

While I think this is true for many, I smoke a few cigars a week during the nicer months. Come colder months, I don't even think about them (Besides occasionally making sure the humidor is at the right levels) . A few days in between, or a few months, I never have an "urge" to fight.

I usually grab a book to read out in the backyard, then realize I could grab a cigar at the same time :P

Just my $.02... I imagine I'm a small percentage, but there are some folks who can use tobacco without becoming addicted.

lemon b
07-29-2014, 20:41
Honestly right now since I started smoking after my Mom passed two years ago. I prevents me from doing certain sections around here. Like North Face Greylock or Upper Mountain Road. Instead I shortcut and use other routes in. Last year on my Long Trail YOYO I just used dip. Smoking is the worst addiction to a 59 year old hiker. Kinda like losing my middle kid again.

Before her death I went without smoke or dip for 15 years. On the 78 Dawsonville to Front Royal I smoked and drank the whole way but I was 23.

lemon b
07-29-2014, 20:47
Loaded up myself in Floyd this year before hitting Martainsville Speedway this year.

Slo-go'en
07-29-2014, 23:08
My suggestion is if you must smoke, use a pipe. Most people find pipe tobacco smoke less objectionable then cigarette smoke. You don't generate any trash. You don't have to smoke it all at once - couple of hits and your good. Plus it's the least expensive option. The only trouble is finding pipe tobacco in the small towns along the trail can be a problem. The only reliable supply is mail drops.

I've been tobacco free for four years now, but I do miss the smoke breaks along the trail, which is about the only time I miss it. Having to get a nicotine fix every hour or so was a good excuse to take 10. On the plus side, I can go up hills with less huffing and I've saved a ton of money.

Kolo
07-29-2014, 23:24
My suggestion is if you must smoke, use a pipe. Most people find pipe tobacco smoke less objectionable then cigarette smoke. You don't generate any trash. You don't have to smoke it all at once - couple of hits and your good. Plus it's the least expensive option. The only trouble is finding pipe tobacco in the small towns along the trail can be a problem. The only reliable supply is mail drops.

I've been tobacco free for four years now, but I do miss the smoke breaks along the trail, which is about the only time I miss it. Having to get a nicotine fix every hour or so was a good excuse to take 10. On the plus side, I can go up hills with less huffing and I've saved a ton of money.

I've been smoke free for 2 1/2 years now. Ditto on the reduction of huffing on the up hills and the extra money comes in handy at the outfitter store(s).

thecyclops
07-30-2014, 13:31
I've been smoke free for 2 1/2 years now. Ditto on the reduction of huffing on the up hills and the extra money comes in handy at the outfitter store(s).
Thats awesome guys! Love to hear success stories of smokers,err,non-smokers :)
I hear ya on the huffing.I got a buddy who is a great dude,loves the outdoors as much as I do,but him being a pack and a half a day smoker and me being a cardio nut,well we just cant go hiking together and it sucks.

Tron-Life
07-30-2014, 14:03
supply and demand. I was providing a service

cancer merchant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 14:05
cancer merchant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trail Angel...hehehehe

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 14:06
Trail Angel...hehehehe
Hey...I'd take it back, but I can't edit. :D

thecyclops
07-30-2014, 14:56
Hey...I'd take it back, but I can't edit. :D
LOL and I cant edit either :(

jjozgrunt
08-01-2014, 20:12
I've got to ask *** is dip? $10 a pack! It was that price in Australia about 10 years ago, now about $25/pack. The thing I hate is enjoying a great view and sucking in the fresh air with the smell of eucalyptus and vegetation, then getting a lung full of someone's smoke. The whole bloody bush to fag in and they have got to sit next to me.

BuckeyeBill
08-02-2014, 18:11
I just started my third month cigarette free. I still miss my after meal smokes, but lifesavers come to the rescue.

lemon b
08-03-2014, 09:30
Hang in there Buckeye. Day at a time. Pretty quick the thought will not even enter your mind.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-03-2014, 11:34
I just started my third month cigarette free. I still miss my after meal smokes, but lifesavers come to the rescue.

Way to go BuckeyeBill! It can be tough some times but you can do it!! Used to smoke 2 packs a day for 25 years. Quit about 14 years ago. I know everyone's experience is different but once I realized I was playing head games with myself to give myself an excuse to smoke the desire went away. Haven't had the desire or craving since. Keep up the good fight!

rickb
08-03-2014, 17:04
My experience might be unique, but I started the AT as a rather heavy smoker and at no point did it ever have a negative impact on my hiking. The thing was, the rhythm of walking caused me to cut way, way back rather naturally. Obviously you really can't even consider walking with a lit cigarette.

I should have taken advantage of that physical change and taken the next step to quit altogether, but they represented a rather light weight pleasure. That was my excuse. Naturally, I ratcheted right back up when got off the trail. Given my social surroundings it was inevitable that I'd quite eventually, but that was a golden opportunity wasted. Big mistake for me.

I think a big problem with dip is that you might be tempted to use it while walking, and that would suck for all sorts of reasons.

thecyclops
08-04-2014, 15:01
My experience might be unique, but I started the AT as a rather heavy smoker and at no point did it ever have a negative impact on my hiking. The thing was, the rhythm of walking caused me to cut way, way back rather naturally. Obviously you really can't even consider walking with a lit cigarette.

I should have taken advantage of that physical change and taken the next step to quit altogether, but they represented a rather light weight pleasure. That was my excuse. Naturally, I ratcheted right back up when got off the trail. Given my social surroundings it was inevitable that I'd quite eventually, but that was a golden opportunity wasted. Big mistake for me.

I think a big problem with dip is that you might be tempted to use it while walking, and that would suck for all sorts of reasons.
If you actually think that as a heavy smoker,it didnt have a negative effect on your hiking,you are living in a fantasy land.

jbwood5
08-04-2014, 15:12
I use to smoke and dip on the job when I couldn't smoke, quit many years ago, chewed the gum off and on too. I don't see how you smokers can hike to the top of a mountain and light up...that would kill me, literally....

I never got into the e-ciggs or vaporizer thingy's but have nieces and nephews who do...just another drug delivery system, but yup you'd have to keep it charged...bring a spare battery pack I guess, not sure what it's charging requirements are.

Same here. After I quit many years ago I never got back into tobbaco, but 2 of my kids fought the quitting effort, pretty much unsucessfully. They are doing the vapor cigs now and I find it totally unoffensive with no odor and no irritation to me inside or outside the house (I still usually make them go out). It seems that those things clog up alot and have to be cleaned. It might be a PITA to carry on the trail. As you say, it's just another drug delivery device, but at least it doesn't affect other people.

Deadeye
08-05-2014, 19:22
Good time to quit...

I heartily disagree! I tried quitting on multiple hikes, and all I managed to do was ruin the hikes. Quit when you can, hike when you can, but don't try to do them both at the same time.

rocketsocks
08-05-2014, 19:44
Believe me I quit enough times before I QUIT to be right there with you. And I sure would have. Heck I would have started a bidding war if he was down to the last pack and some else wanted them as well. I had it pretty bad - smh in shame. I truly meant my remark to Lone Wolf light-heartedly.

Oh I know ya did, I was just reflecting back on just how bad my habit was as well. Quitting Ciggs was the hardest thing I ever did...way harder than quittin' drinkin'...for me anyway.

Kolo
08-05-2014, 22:22
Oh I know ya did, I was just reflecting back on just how bad my habit was as well. Quitting Ciggs was the hardest thing I ever did...way harder than quittin' drinkin'...for me anyway.

My hat is off to you rocketsocks, it ain't easy. After a couple of years, I still like the smell of it, but I'm not going there.

rocketsocks
08-05-2014, 23:41
My hat is off to you rocketsocks, it ain't easy. After a couple of years, I still like the smell of it, but I'm not going there.
oh me too, but it's real simple for me though, I smoke, I can't breath...literally, so it's kinda a no brainier. Oh I've taken my drags over the years here and there, always payed for it the next day...huffin' and puffin' and wheezin'...no damn fun, I like breathing mucho better.
:sun

Old_Man
08-06-2014, 08:16
I tried quitting on multiple hikes, and all I managed to do was ruin the hikes. Quit when you can, hike when you can, but don't try to do them both at the same time.

This is a good point--I've also been forced to quit on the trail simply for lack of having and trying to force yourself to get up and carry weight through the mountains all day when you're also fighting a craving is just not fun at all. The question "why am I doing this to myself" would always be my mantra at times like that.

mak1277
08-13-2014, 16:42
Way to go BuckeyeBill! It can be tough some times but you can do it!! Used to smoke 2 packs a day for 25 years. Quit about 14 years ago. I know everyone's experience is different but once I realized I was playing head games with myself to give myself an excuse to smoke the desire went away. Haven't had the desire or craving since. Keep up the good fight!

You're lucky. I think everyone's different in this regard. I quit smoking 9 years ago and I still want one almost every single day.

And whoever said that nobody actually likes to smoke is nuts. I *loved* smoking. It wasn't hard for me to quit once I decided to really do it, but I definitely loved it and miss it.

JohnnySnook
09-08-2014, 02:09
Congrats to those that quit. In October it will be 2 years for me. I used the Nicotine Lozenges to quit smoking. I didn't start smoking till I was 25 or 26. My habit was to around 2 packs a day by the time I decided to quit. I always see people that quit on New Years seem to pick up the habit shortly after so I picked Oct. 1st as my quit date.
As for smoking and doing outdoor activities I never felt it hurt me. I would smoke before mountain biking, on long rides during them, free diving, and surfing.
I could normally ride longer, dive deeper, and surf longer than most. If fact a guy I know can free dive for 3 to 4 minutes and reach 100 feet and spearfish and he smoked a over a pack a day. Not saying this is right.
The sad fact is I'm still taking the lozenges but plan on quit them completely on Oct. 1st. The one thing that I will say is that since I quit smoking I rarely get sick which it really nice. I've maybe had 2 or 3 colds in the last two years.

I would not recommend to stop smoking on a hike. I think you would be miserable! I know I would of.

If I was a smoker and hiking I would bring some of the the mini-lozenges in case my smokes got wet so I wouldn't go into detox.

I feel that the people that quit smoking will be the ones that don't want to be around you the most. We can smell a smoker a mile away. I will say I don't mind smelling a little smoke now and then as long as its not directly in my face. The worst smell is really the stink they leave on your cloth or your breath after smoking.

Just an FYI I haven't been hiking since I was in my teens but over the years hiking has always been in the back of my head and I think the time to start again has come. More on this future posts to come.

Ground Control
09-08-2014, 09:37
I was hypnotized to quit smoking 4 years ago today! It worked.

Haven't taken one drag since, and I never, ever miss it. Occaisionally I still feel the desire to smoke (the old physical addicition), but I have a little tactic for that which helps the thought to soon pass. 19 years of cigarettes had taken a toll on my wind and physical endurance, but I can tell how much my lungs and body have rebounded since quitting.

Quitting was one of the hardest I had ever attempted; so many failed attempts. I'm not sure I would have ever pulled it off without the hypnotist.

I also remember everything about the hypnotist's 45 minute session. It was really more like a therapy session; I was awake and aware the whole time.

Anyone in NC interested in the hypnotist's name and info, I'd be happy to share it. She is located in Winston Salem. I know of others that have had the same successful experience. It cost roughly $200, which pays for itself in a relatively short amount of time.

Just like everything else: No motivation, no change.

BuckeyeBill
09-08-2014, 14:12
Now at month four cigarette free for me. I used Chantix and would recommend it to anyone that can take it. No more cravings and I go around smokers without any problems. Still taking it one day at a time.

CrumbSnatcher
09-08-2014, 18:04
my mom used to smoke for years, she up and quit one day cold turkey, ten years later she said not one day went by without here craving a cigarette

Stash
09-08-2014, 18:06
Now at month four cigarette free for me. I used Chantix and would recommend it to anyone that can take it. No more cravings and I go around smokers without any problems. Still taking it one day at a time.

Also used this but beware if you drink alcohol you will blackout quickly I did everytime..

Quit for 6 months back at half a pack a day..

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

JohnnySnook
09-09-2014, 04:47

Buckey - I Know people that that have quit smoking using Chantix and it worked for them. I did try it and thank god I stopped taking it before going crazy. It made me super depressed and some of the things I thought about I wish on no one. Yes, this is a great drug to quit but the side effects can be really bad. Many people that try to quit this way end up dead or close to it. If you choose this drug to quit make sure you have people around you to make sure you're okay. The biggest side affect of this drug is killing yourself. I'm just glad I quit taking when I did.

This drug was originally a antidepressant but they soon found that people stopped smoking when using it. I don't believe it worked as a antidepressant and they lower the dosage for people to quit smoking. At higher dosages I think many suffered from this drug. Please be careful if you take Chantix and let those around you know you're taking it so they can keep an eye on you.

I'm glad it worked for you!

Caddywhompus
09-09-2014, 14:38
Pipe? Bueller ? Anybody ?

Wayne

Ditto. A bag of pipe tobacco will last you a good while. Not sure of the availability on the trail but one bag of pipe tobacco would easily last me a month. Not a very big bag either. This is the route I would take. Plus it's generally less evasive.

BuckeyeBill
09-09-2014, 16:10
Stash I quit drinking 6 years ago. I am no longer on Chantix. It did its kob with no side effects for me. That's why i said take it if you can. YMMV.
I believe I got it beat this time.

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 16:35
Stash I quit drinking 6 years ago. I am no longer on Chantix. It did its kob with no side effects for me. That's why i said take it if you can. YMMV.
I believe I got it beat this time.Good for you Buckeye Bill, feels great to be able to breath again huh, no more jonesin'

Rolls Kanardly
09-09-2014, 17:29
Woody213, I am not trying to pee in our Wheaties here but please lose the smokes. My dad stopped at 47 and it was still too late. I would give a lot to have him around to do just about anything but it is not too be. There must be a son or daughter or nephew or niece here now or in your future that would like to hike with you when you get older. Give them the opportunity to be with you. Rolls

swisscross
09-09-2014, 17:57
I got a call at 4:23, January 23, 2014 from my sister informing me that my mom had passed.
She smoked for around 62 years, chained smoked. The last two years she spent half of her life in and out of the hospital.
She just could not breath anymore. Was on full O2 for the past year.

She was 76.

What really sucks is that I cannot quit....I only smoke about a half a pack a day.
But watching my mother and father deal with all suffering....I hate myself.

rocketsocks
09-09-2014, 18:16
I got a call at 4:23, January 23, 2014 from my sister informing me that my mom had passed.
She smoked for around 62 years, chained smoked. The last two years she spent half of her life in and out of the hospital.
She just could not breath anymore. Was on full O2 for the past year.

She was 76.

What really sucks is that I cannot quit....I only smoke about a half a pack a day.
But watching my mother and father deal with all suffering....I hate myself.Sorry to hear that Swisscross You may be the perfect candidate for the meds. Ya really gotta get pissed off at yourself, I ended up in the hospital for 5 days while on a vacation so quitting was a no brainer. The Doctor said "You have to quit or ya going to die, I can give you something to help with that" they gave me some Bupropion, while in, and I took it for maybe a month after that, and I did not want to smoke. After I strung together 5 days (the most I had ever put together when trying to quit many times before) I just figured I'd keep on goin, smoke free...best decision I've ever made for myself. I really hope you can do it...you'll have your life back with multiple rewards that can barely be measured they are so plentiful...Promise! :)

if ya do go the medication route it can play on your psyche so stay in touch with folks an let em know what's goin on, it can cause the ideation for suicide...and vivid dreams in my case.