PDA

View Full Version : No planning walk

jjozgrunt
07-29-2014, 23:56
G'day

I have been looking at planning for next year, and not having local contacts and coming from Australia, I'm looking at a no advanced planning walk. Getting there and starting after taking a day to get the first load of food and gas, and then playing it by ear. Have to set up a bump box as well as I will need to get rid of any winter gear and store the odd extras. Buy any replacements gear, food etc along the way and/or mail it to myself further up the trail.

I don't want to long in country before the start as I will only have a 6 month visa and don't want to go through the process of asking for an extension. 1st of April start so from the start of my Autumn to your spring, doesn't seem like much but I'll be coming from around 86+ degrees in Queensland to whatever the temperature is in Georgia at that time (COLD).

Feasible? Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

JJ

sacuff
07-30-2014, 00:28
You'll be fine since you're starting early enough in the season that your 6 month visa expires before typical closure of Baxter State Park in Maine. I'll go back and check my guidebook (where I kept notes) from this past year's trip from Springer to Stony Man in Shenandoah re: early resupply options and get back to you.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2014, 06:16
G'day

I have been looking at planning for next year, and not having local contacts and coming from Australia, I'm looking at a no advanced planning walk. Getting there and starting after taking a day to get the first load of food and gas, and then playing it by ear. Have to set up a bump box as well as I will need to get rid of any winter gear and store the odd extras. Buy any replacements gear, food etc along the way and/or mail it to myself further up the trail.

I don't want to long in country before the start as I will only have a 6 month visa and don't want to go through the process of asking for an extension. 1st of April start so from the start of my Autumn to your spring, doesn't seem like much but I'll be coming from around 86+ degrees in Queensland to whatever the temperature is in Georgia at that time (COLD).

Feasible? Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

JJ
totally feasible. the only planning i ever did was transportation to the trail.

4shot
07-30-2014, 07:35
yes it is if you already have your gear and some overnight experience. go ahead and acquire one of the various guidebooks - those are tremendously helpful. as had been said on here countless times, the hike is nothing but a series of 3 -6 day trips linked together. with a guidebook, you can plan as you go. may want to prearrange your shuttle from ATL to Springer since, with those dates, you will be NOBO.