PDA

View Full Version : shaving on the trail...fer da boys

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 05:48
shaving on the trail could never be easier.

Several months ago someone posted a thread about....shaving maybe? What caught my attention was a post where the fella said he had'd used shaving cream in years, preferring a dry shave...hmm. So, I tried it. I have not used shaving cream for about 5 months now, and more important haven't had to buy it. I get a real close shave just by wetting my face with warm water before every stroke...good by shave cream, good buy electric razor that always ate my money maker...and a big thank you to the brave man that came before me, likely a servicemen I'm sure, tough ol' birds. :cool:

Lyle
07-30-2014, 07:54
I haven't used shaving cream for daily shaving for 8 or 9 years now. Shower, dry. Within a few minutes, moisten face with water again and shave. If shaving when not showering first, a washcloth, wetted in hot tap water and left very wet, then held against the face for 45 seconds or a minute prepares the beard quite adequately. Ever had a barber shave - their trick.

Exception is when I've gone several days without shaving, then I use a shave gel.

One note, the razor is easier to clean/stays cleaner when the gel is used, the wiskers don't get stuck between the dual razor blades. Usually a good drenching with water, then a few taps on the rim of the wash basin cleans them out when they get stuck.

PatmanTN
07-30-2014, 08:36
I starting using Somersets shaving oil a few months ago and it seems to work better than anything else I've tried. Per directions only three drops is needed. This might be a good alternative to a dry shave when the whiskers are a bit long for such. For the UL minded this is suitably sized in a 15ml bottle which should yield about 90 shaves. http://www.somersetsusa.com/

I tried it a whim with no recommendations and it works as advertised.

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 09:11
I haven't used shaving cream for daily shaving for 8 or 9 years now. Shower, dry. Within a few minutes, moisten face with water again and shave. If shaving when not showering first, a washcloth, wetted in hot tap water and left very wet, then held against the face for 45 seconds or a minute prepares the beard quite adequately. Ever had a barber shave - their trick.

Exception is when I've gone several days without shaving, then I use a shave gel.

One note, the razor is easier to clean/stays cleaner when the gel is used, the wiskers don't get stuck between the dual razor blades. Usually a good drenching with water, then a few taps on the rim of the wash basin cleans them out when they get stuck.

I starting using Somersets shaving oil a few months ago and it seems to work better than anything else I've tried. Per directions only three drops is needed. This might be a good alternative to a dry shave when the whiskers are a bit long for such. For the UL minded this is suitably sized in a 15ml bottle which should yield about 90 shaves. http://www.somersetsusa.com/

I tried it a whim with no recommendations and it works as advertised.

Well I'll give all those ideas a shot, and yes much easier I've found as well to shave everyday to keep it short, as letting it go is not only harder to shave it off when dry, but freakin' hurts to damn much. I always wondered how the soldiers in the old Army movies shaved outta their helmets, don't recall ever seeing any shave cream. Thinking about investing in the Old/New resurgence of single edge replaceable blade razors, had one of my Pops, but it broke. But I have plenty of blades for it.

sympathetic joy
07-30-2014, 10:00
I use a small amount of coconut oil to shave. Side benefit is it acts as a moisturizer as well.

Firefighter503
07-30-2014, 10:10
No go for me. I have to shave in the shower with the water as hot as it will get in order to not chew up my face, and use soap/body wash. No shave for me while hiking.

Another Kevin
07-30-2014, 10:16
Guys shave when they're out hiking? Who knew?

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 10:19
really...truth be told, goin a couple days dosen't usally bother me, and since that's pretty much been the extent of my treks...well you get it. But every now and again, I just gotta get that stuff off, feels dirty, especially around the soup hole.

4shot
07-30-2014, 10:19
No go for me. I have to shave in the shower with the water as hot as it will get in order to not chew up my face, and use soap/body wash. No shave for me while hiking.

+1. used to get shaving bumps like crazy. tried everything, including electric. finally put a little mirror in the shower and...problem solved. what's more, I can get by with the cheap disposable razors and the $1 per can shave cream. Even still I keep a very short beard to minimize the amount I have to shave. But I still shave most of my neck which was the very worst area in terms of irritation.

ChuckT
07-30-2014, 10:28
Was on a mixed hike, 100 miler and was told 2 shave! by a distaff member. Apparently I didn't grow a good looking beard. The upside is that I don't need to shave that often.

Venchka
07-30-2014, 11:16

Yeah! Who knew? I thought not shaving and "going" in the woods were the reasons for backpacking. Hey!
On topic: I am trying out Neutrogena Shave Cream. A non-aerosol solution between nothing and squirt cans of foam or gels. It works for travel-takes up little space. It may replace my current #1 choice: Nivea.

Wayne

perrymk
07-30-2014, 11:41
I believe the purpose of shaving lotion is to soften the whiskers and also act as a skin conditioner. If one can keep the whiskers soft from hot water in the shower or with occasional moistening (if one shaves too slow or in a dry climate) then lotion shouldn't really be necessary. The purpose of a shaving brush (as I understand it) was to push in the lather and lift the whiskers. Sort of the difference between painting a wall with a brush versus a sprayer.

I use an old Gillette safety razor with the replaceable double edge blades. There are plenty of instructions online, including video, on how to use these. I like it for two reasons. One I like US made products. Granted most razors are now made in India or China, there are a few preybay sellers refurbishing old US made Gillettes and other brands. Second thing I like is it costs much less to purchase double edge blades than the cartridge blades, although I now have to order them online as my local grocery store no longer carries them. I suppose an electric razor or straight edge might cost less, but this is what I remember my dad using when I was a puppy so maybe the nostalgia factors in third.

Something to keep in mind is that 4 hours after one shaves, it doesn't matter how close it was. If one really needs the close shave the trick is to shave twice, or keep a cartridge shaver for those occasions.

I bought a variety pack of blades initially to try different brands but have settled on a good made in USA brand. As I recall the Russian made blades were the worst, Chinese not much better, a Japanese had the best, and Israel and US had good. I'm sure there are different brands with different quality from all countries; I only tried what came in my variety pack. I now use Personna Double Edge Razor Blades.
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077LAJT2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3W06B86JQE681&coliid=I2MSRM8K1BUF7Y)
EDIT: I'v enot been on a long enough trip that shaving was a concern, but in 2020 when I plan my thru hike for I anticipate using a battery operated electric, the same I use when traveling by plane with only a carry on. Or I'll just shave once or twice per week in town with a disposable. I'm just not a hairy face guy.

Damn Yankee
07-30-2014, 12:05
Back in the early 80's when I joined the military we were using the old helmets or steel pots as they were affectionately called. The thing that was great about these helmets was that you could separate the Kevlar liner from the steel outer shell and use the steel outer shell for personal hygiene (IE: brushing teeth, washing up and shaving) todays Army uses a Kevlar helmet and field hygiene is not possible with these. They now have to have shower trailers in order to do so which also means the use of large water bladders for both potable water and black water(dirty water)Although the new helmets are much better for protection, the older helmets would serve dual purposes. I also found over the years that shaving with cold water lift the hair on the face which allows for a much closer shave, hence less shaving.

Bog Balls
07-30-2014, 13:14
We ARE talking about shaving one's FACE..... correct?:)

Lone Wolf
07-30-2014, 13:19
why would anyone shave on the trail?

Rolls Kanardly
07-30-2014, 13:34
We ARE talking about shaving one's FACE..... correct?:)

I think so, otherwise you would only need to shave one day. (naked hikers day) Rolls

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 13:41
We ARE talking about shaving one's FACE..... correct?:)SYOA 27927

why would anyone shave on the trail?Don't you feel better after a nice shave...wait Lone wolf, is that you?

....never mind, prolly had a beard at berth.

sympathetic joy
07-30-2014, 13:42

I don't know about on the physical trail itself, but keeping your hair closely cropped and face shaved makes finding ticks easier.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2014, 14:01
I don't know about on the physical trail itself, but keeping your hair closely cropped and face shaved makes finding ticks easier.
i had long hair and a beard for 16,000 miles of walkin'. never had ticks

Old Grouse
07-30-2014, 15:07

What do you people do, roll around in the grass? I've never had a tick on my head or face. Once in an armpit, once on my leg, but most always arond my beltline, and nowhere I've ever needed to shave.

BTW, my wife and I share Kiss My Face shave cream in a pump bottle. We get it at Whole Foods, but I'm sure its elsewhere as well.

dangerdave
07-30-2014, 15:29
I use cake soap (Van Der Hagen) from Walmart, when I shave. I had always been a gel or creme user, but in 2005, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I spent 30 days in the Gulf states as a medic with a search and rescue team. We camped out or slept in abandoned buildings nearly every night. Not wanting to carry an aerosol can in my pack through very hot weather, I switched to a small lidded plastic bowl with a cake of soap, a shave brush, and whatever razor was available. I've never gone back. I recycle my wife's razors. I still get a few shaves out them when she's done.

I'm retiring in Jan. 2015 from a job that has required me to be clean shaven for the past 28 years. I will most definitely not be shaving on my thru-hike, and it's got nothing to do with hiking the Trail.

Beard-on, brothers! Let them bask in our scruffiness! :bse

Odd Man Out
07-30-2014, 15:40
When I got home from my last hike (with about a week's worth of whiskers), I treated myself to a professional straight-edge razor shave at a barber. Yes, it's expensive, but I think it of a bit like women having their nails done. Sure you can do it yourself, but if you can afford it, it's nice to be pampered every now and then. Any barbers in the trail towns that will do this?

linus72
07-30-2014, 16:06

im with you lol! every dude i saw on the trail that was more than a day hiker had a beard!

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 16:50
When I got home from my last hike (with about a week's worth of whiskers), I treated myself to a professional straight-edge razor shave at a barber. Yes, it's expensive, but I think it of a bit like women having their nails done. Sure you can do it yourself, but if you can afford it, it's nice to be pampered every now and then. Any barbers in the trail towns that will do this?
I'm about to go in the garage and buzz my head, your welcome to swing on by.

dangerdave
07-30-2014, 17:06
LOL! Buzzed mine yesterday. The dog was not interested.

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 17:09
LOL! Buzzed mine yesterday. The dog was not interested.Been doin that for years, more of a comfort thing really, when it gets hot, it comes off, in the winter I may let it go to a couple inches, but tha'd be a lot.

...my pup hates the buzzers, she runs away.

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 17:10
Been doin that for years, more of a comfort thing really, when it gets hot, it comes off, in the winter I may let it go to a couple inches, but tha'd be a lot.

...my pup hates the buzzers, she runs away.That's really one of the main reason I don't try and grow a beard...to darn hot for my liking .

Lone Wolf
07-30-2014, 17:14
i was asked if my beard makes me hot in the summer. i've been told by the ladies it makes me hot all year long

4shot
07-30-2014, 18:54
i was asked if my beard makes me hot in the summer. i've been told by the ladies it makes me hot all year long

LW..you just may be "trail hot". we talked about that a lot on the AT...food (like Snickers or Knorr's Spanish rice ) that you wouldn't dream of eating in real life became "trail good". Hotel rooms that look like the Bates motel became "trail good" because there was a lumpy mattress and a cold shower. maybe your ladies have been in the woods so long that you became "trail hot".:D

firesign
07-30-2014, 19:19
That's really one of the main reason I don't try and grow a beard...to darn hot for my liking .

Its the Jeremiah Johnson Complex which affects most if not all thru hikers. The need to look/conform like someone who is out in the wilderness, miles away from towns etc. Totally impractical during Summer. All Ego.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2014, 19:22
Totally impractical during Summer. All Ego.
bull. i've had a full beard for over 25 years

greenmtnboy
07-30-2014, 19:26
Fresh disposable razors can work without water, etc., not exactly recommended due to how your face feels subsequently. It is a pain to get out soap, have a water source, a mirror, etc.. Whiskers are inevitable. If people are turned off by beards or beard stubble, they will be turned off be many other irrelevant things. I unfortunately know a lot of people who expect every man to have a kissable baby face.

kayak karl
07-30-2014, 19:32
i just used water since i was 18. over sleeping and shaving at work in the bathroom started that. then one day i said ____ it! :)>

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 21:08
i just used water since i was 18. over sleeping and shaving at work in the bathroom started that. then one day i said ____ it! :)>
necessity.....the mother of invention.

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 21:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plJMQeKpz40

Terri Clark, she the one for me alright.

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 21:17
Its the Jeremiah Johnson Complex which affects most if not all thru hikers. The need to look/conform like someone who is out in the wilderness, miles away from towns etc. Totally impractical during Summer. All Ego.
Yup, probably a little of that goin on.

kayak karl
07-30-2014, 21:34
Yup, probably a little of that goin on.
and other things *<[:-)>

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 21:39
Hey...If you got it, Flaunt it. I always say...well someone said it anyway...nice beard, be such a waste not to share that one.

Traveler
07-31-2014, 07:42

Terri Clark, she the one for me alright.

Not sure how she would look with a beard though.....

Siarl
07-31-2014, 10:13
I can't stand my facial hair. Since I was a kid I've had problem skin and if I let the facial hair grow, one or two days is fine but after that it has to come off or I regret it. My beard is patchy also so it doesn't exactly look the best. It also exacerbates rosacea, which I have. I have been tempted to have electrolysis treatments which would solve the problem. But yes, I will be shaving on the trail....somehow.

rocketsocks
07-31-2014, 10:19
Not sure how she would look with a beard though.....

oh I don't know, Jennifer Aniston is still pretty cute with a beard, but that chest hair has got to go.

bangorme
07-31-2014, 17:00
Gee, every wondered what's in a long beard? Like, which parts of which meal? I'd rather lick underneath a table at a restaurant than actually kiss someone that had one. Of course, it'd have to be a gal that had one, and you don't see many of those around (remember, we are talking about facial hair).

rocketsocks
07-31-2014, 18:20
Gee, every wondered what's in a long beard? Like, which parts of which meal? I'd rather lick underneath a table at a restaurant than actually kiss someone that had one. Of course, it'd have to be a gal that had one, and you don't see many of those around (remember, we are talking about facial hair).ah yes, a mustache, thee ol' flavor saver...Indecently we have quit a few hairy lipped women around where I live, I understand women can use a product called Nair er somethin' for that, beats puckin'

Lone Wolf
07-31-2014, 21:02
so, you "men" that shave your face, why don't you shave your pits, arms, legs, head?

Siarl
07-31-2014, 21:12
so, you "men" that shave your face, why don't you shave your pits, arms, legs, head?
Well, Why? I have a reason for shaving my face as mentioned previously but it's not necessary to shave the rest. I wish I could grow a beard and it not bother me. But, nature is what it is and my genes are what I was dealt.

Another Kevin
07-31-2014, 21:58
Gee, every wondered what's in a long beard? Like, which parts of which meal? I'd rather lick underneath a table at a restaurant than actually kiss someone that had one. Of course, it'd have to be a gal that had one, and you don't see many of those around (remember, we are talking about facial hair).

Uhm. I might not shave on a long hike, but I do wash. (Besides, my hikes are never long enough to grow a decent beard. Then again, I'm not sure I can grow a decent beard. Too much Haudenosaunee in my ancestry.)

rocketsocks
07-31-2014, 22:21
I got nothin....:D

4shot
08-01-2014, 06:30

I do. it's a trick I learned from watching the Tour de France and the Olympic swimmers. I hike faster without the wind resistance against my body hair. plus I got that whole bodybuilder look (although without having any actual muscles in my upper body).;)

rocketsocks
08-01-2014, 06:41
I do. it's a trick I learned from watching the Tour de France and the Olympic swimmers. I hike faster without the wind resistance against my body hair. plus I got that whole bodybuilder look (although without having any actual muscles in my upper body).;)
I hear girls like a clean shaved body.

4shot
08-01-2014, 07:20
I hear girls like a clean shaved body.

apparently that is a myth.

rocketsocks
08-01-2014, 07:27
apparently that is a myth.perpetuated by married women no doubt ;)

perrymk
08-01-2014, 07:40
so, you "men" that shave your face, why don't you shave your pits, arms, legs, head? I think serious ULers do.

rocketsocks
08-01-2014, 07:53
I went to school with a kid that shaved his legs for swimmin' he took a lotta crap, but I commended him for it...fa get em if they can't take a joke.

Old Grouse
08-01-2014, 12:29
"Haudenosaunee"

Wow, I had to look that one up, A.K. And to think I used to subscribe to Aquasesne Notes!

Trebor66
08-01-2014, 12:43

Because I don't want to have a beard....

rocketsocks
08-01-2014, 15:40
"Haudenosaunee"

Wow, I had to look that one up, A.K. And to think I used to subscribe to Aquasesne Notes!
...as did I now, and for a few moments I was a clueless cyberhiker. Interesting name.

ChuckT
08-01-2014, 20:17
Whatever it is you all are talking about ... I ain't going there.

Rolls Kanardly
08-07-2014, 17:15
http://lifehacker.com/5825492/when-you-dont-have-shaving-cream-use-peanut-butter-instead

And what good hiker does not have P-nut butter in their backpack. (except those with allergies, sorry)
Rolls

Kraken Skullz
08-07-2014, 18:06
Haha. I will live with a beard before I waste my peanut butter on my face.

Rolls Kanardly
08-07-2014, 19:05
Haha. I will live with a beard before I waste my peanut butter on my face.

Me too, I just thought this option was funny.
Also be real hard on the razor and your face if you used Chucky P-nut Butter.

Rolls

Rolls Kanardly
08-07-2014, 19:11
oh I don't know, Jennifer Aniston is still pretty cute with a beard, but that chest hair has got to go.

Need to get rid of that uni brow too. Way too furry. Rolls

mississippi_dan
08-07-2014, 22:29
I've found that the razor stays sharp longer if a little soap is used along with the water. Just a few drops of Dr Bonner's almond soap is all it takes. I shave this way at home so the only change on the trail is that I shave in the evening. Scraping all that grime, sunblock, and stubble off feels great.

Bronk
08-08-2014, 10:01
I haven't bought shaving cream since 2006. I shave with just hot water and a double edged razor blade.

simeo
08-08-2014, 14:56
Never use shaving cream unless I'm using the straight razor. If I'm not using the straight razor I use disposable blades with the 'lotion' strip on them and wet well.

moytoy
08-09-2014, 08:42
When I was a lad my parents gave me an electric razor and I used that until I was in my mid 20's. But it died on me on a trip to Los Angeles and I discovered that I could shave with a throw away with a little water. I've been doing that ever sense. They actually work better dry on my neck because the hair is so fine. I assumed that I was able to do that because I have a light beard. None of my three sons will even attempt to shave this way.

squeezebox
08-11-2014, 18:27
Do any other men shave their legs ? I got used to it when bicycle racing.
Easier to do massages. Easier to clean road rash
Leg massage is a good thing on the trail.