PDA

View Full Version : Toesocks, Who Wears 'em?

Chair-man
07-30-2014, 09:52
When I first started doing my training hikes I was getting hot spots around my toes after several miles, especially between my big toe & the second toe. So I thought I'd try toesocks and they really did the trick for me.
I've tried going back to regular socks to see if I could develop calluses but I always get hot spots so it's toesocks for me. I consider toesocks to be an essential piece of me gear.

kf1wv
07-30-2014, 09:59
Two years ago I switched to Injinji liner toesocks with lightweight acrylic hiker socks. NOBO'ed in 2013 without a single blister.

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 10:02
I'd try em, just haven't gotten around to it.

slbirdnerd
07-30-2014, 10:21
I just got some and have worn them locally on short hikes several times, like them a lot so far. I don't want to speak too soon, but they just may help solve my dumb pinky toe issues. I got a couple pairs of the trail socks, and a couple liners to wear with my Darn Tough socks if I need to change it up a little. Excited to find out how they work with bigger miles on my August section!

Snowleopard
07-30-2014, 10:23
http://www.socksaddict.com/ Often has injinji and darntough on sale at good prices.
I've got to wear toe spacers because of a bunion on one foot, so toe socks protect my toes from rubbing on the plastic. They seem to help prevent blisters on the good foot too.

Chair-man
07-30-2014, 10:50
As far as I know, there are only 2 companies that make toesocks, Smartwool and Injinji, I have both. I wear only one pair of mid weight toesocks. I saw a video where Andrew Skurka says he only wears one pair of mid weight socks so I figure if it works for him it will work for me. I do use 2 insoles, 1 gel and the one that comes with the boots. I just buy my boots 1/2 size larger than normal. I works for me.

Sarcasm the elf
07-30-2014, 11:10
Your poll option of "Tried them, they're not for me" sums up my experience perfectly. I couldn't get used to the feeling that I had something stuck between all of my toes. I'm glad to see from the poll results that they have helpful for others.

CalebJ
07-30-2014, 11:16
I avoided them for ages because they seemed so completely ridiculous. Switched over a couple of months ago after a series of blister issues (using the same socks and shoes that had worked for me for years, go figure). Not a hint of a blister since and my running mileage has been increasing simultaneously. I'm a believer.

Damn Yankee
07-30-2014, 12:11
I have had problems on longer hikes due to my pinky toe which sits slightly under the toe next to it which creates a very sore spot due to the calluses which have formed on my pinky toes. These calluses soften and really start to hurt. I may try a pair of the toe socks which may give me the slight space needed so as not to have my pinky toes roll under the next toe.

Snowleopard
07-30-2014, 12:25
I have had problems on longer hikes due to my pinky toe which sits slightly under the toe next to it which creates a very sore spot due to the calluses which have formed on my pinky toes. These calluses soften and really start to hurt. I may try a pair of the toe socks which may give me the slight space needed so as not to have my pinky toes roll under the next toe.
DY, if the socks don't work, you might take a look at toe spacers to correct your pinky's position: https://nwfootankle.com/correct-toes (these might be overkill for your problem, but take a look at their literature).
Drug stores have simpler, cheaper versions of this sort of thing that might work. Also, experiment with taping those toes (tape over where the callous forms before it forms).

slbirdnerd
07-30-2014, 12:27

This is my problem exactly! Pinkies then get VERY sore, every step becomes painful, and even a big blister on the bottom from the 4th toe rubbing them. So far the Injini trail socks have been great, up to 6 miles in Central Ohio. Will have them on the Trail next week. Definitely worth giving them a shot.

CarlZ993
07-30-2014, 13:30
I've been wearing toe socks for years on my runs. They took some getting used to in the beginning. Now, it just feel normal.

I've worn them a few times on backpacking trips (short ones mainly). I normally backpack w/ mid-weight wool socks that I sprinkle 'Blister Shield' powder inside (great stuff!). I typically don't get blisters (only one in my 2013 thru) hiking.

Shutterbug
07-30-2014, 13:32
I wear them with my Vibram Fivefinger shoes. They are the only socks that work.

Night Train
07-30-2014, 14:35
Switched to Injinji and Smartwool toe socks this past spring, I was skeptical at the time I switched but now I'm an every day wearer. After training and running a hand full of 5k trail runs this past spring and summer, with zero foot/toe issues, I'm sold on them. I even wear them while on duty at the engine house, my crewmates get a laugh out of them.

Tron-Life
07-31-2014, 16:45
Haven't tried them but I'm very interested. While training for my hike, I noticed my socks would get pulled tight over my toes and start to hurt my feet, which prompted me to start not wearing socks which made walking long distances much easier; Earl Shaffer in Walking With Spring mentions how he came to this realization too, but I think that for this to work your feet need to get used to it. Problem with going sockless is that dirt in your shoe abrades your feet more and you need to empty the dust alot more. I think that toe socks could be a perfect solution to both these problems but they are kinda expensive; though, I'll be sure to check out that link.

theoilman
07-31-2014, 19:01
Injinji toe sock liners along with my Smartwool regular hiking socks. The toe socks greatly reduced blisters between my toes

Riocielo
07-31-2014, 21:18
The "pinky toe issue" was exactly why I went to toe socks. My little toe needs that sock to keep it in correct alignment. I've put about 500 miles on my Injinji toe socks so far and they are still going strong. I also put baby oil gel on my feet before I put the socks on. At first I wore an additional pair of just sports socks, but when it got hot, I went to the toe socks alone and they have worked great.

Meriadoc
07-31-2014, 22:13
They work alright. I'm not too sure about blister prevention since, as a general rule, I don't get blisters :cool:.

For me there are two reasons I don't think I'll try them again.
(1) Durability. Darn tough socks are so much more durable.
(2) The synthetics smell really badly. I'd rather stick with wool.

Dogtra
08-21-2014, 05:25
I've recently started to condition my feet for barefoot hiking (its a slow process) and if it goes well I'll likely use toe socks during cold periods during my hiking or when I have to put minimalist footwear on.

Kraken Skullz
08-21-2014, 08:13
I'm going to get some to try to curb my toe injuries.

swisscross
08-21-2014, 12:15
Not sure if I would like them. I hate flip flops due to having something between my toes.

Would be willing to try them but my second toes is a good knuckle longer than my big toes. They don't appear that they will fit well (for my monkey feet).

slbirdnerd
08-22-2014, 12:35
Here's where I have been buying mine: http://www.footsmart.com/. Nice retail website for all things foot-issues including shoes that make for happy feet! Discount if you order 3 or more pair. And with my recent order of 2 Injinji toe socks and 2 Injinji liners, they threw in an extra pair of (differently sized) socks to give away. My Aunt is now in love with them. My son wore mine and is begging me for more.

Poedog
09-13-2014, 08:36
Yup, we wear 'em, they've actually just sponsored us. Durability is good, got nearly 1000 miles on a pair. We wrote about them here: unboundroutes.com

cjayflo
11-21-2014, 18:47
I love the injinji wool toe socks. I use them as every day wear.

dangerdave
11-21-2014, 18:51
After so much talk about them here, I got some and used them on my shakedown hikes. They functioned as advertised. No blisters.

They are essential gear for my thru. Two toes up!

lonehiker
11-21-2014, 19:01
Not sure if I would like them. I hate flip flops due to having something between my toes.

Would be willing to try them but my second toes is a good knuckle longer than my big toes. They don't appear that they will fit well (for my monkey feet).

I asked this same question earlier on this tread or similar and nobody responded. So, I got a pair of them and tried them on two day hikes. My experience was that they fit my toes fine in spite of second toe being longer. But, my little toe on both feet kept coming out. Had wet feet both trips so unsure if this contributed to the situation.... I intend on using them a couple more times but my initial assessment is that they aren't going to be standard attire.

Would add that I used them by themselves and not as a two sock combination as I never use a liner sock.

T-Rx
11-21-2014, 19:20
Injinji toe socks under smartwool socks. It seems to work well for me.

squeezebox
11-22-2014, 00:10
Are they difficult to put on?

Shutterbug
11-22-2014, 01:34
Are they difficult to put on?

Once you get used to them, they are no more difficult to put on than socks without toes.

I buy mine on eBay for around $1.50 a pair including shipping. I wear out a lot of them, but at that price who cares?

squeezebox
11-22-2014, 01:50
Well they still look funny. But I guess i look kinda funny anyways, so It will be okay.

squeezebox
11-23-2014, 00:37
I bought a pair today, I like the way my toes feel spread in a more natural position. Just maybe my Planter's Fasciitis feels a little better too.
I asked the clerk to help me find them, and he handed me a pair made of Coolmax, I bought them, but I think I would prefer wool.

So my liner sock question is, Will Coolmax against wool slide more than wool against wool.
Also I have an issue with athletes foot every once in a while, I think the toe socks should help a lot with that.
Right now happy feet.

Riocielo
11-23-2014, 02:58

Swisscross, I thought the same thing...I HATE flip flops, but I don't even notice the fabric between my toes. Most of all, I have not had a single blister since I started wearing them, and I had more than my share before.

cbr6fs
11-23-2014, 06:35
Anyone else's feet feel a LOT colder with toe socks?

CalebJ
11-23-2014, 10:29
I have not had that issue. Two things come to mind though. One is that the fabric may be significantly thinner than whatever you were using before as most toe socks are designed for running. The second is a question - any chance your new socks are slightly too small and constructing blood flow?

cbr6fs
11-23-2014, 13:17
I have not had that issue. Two things come to mind though. One is that the fabric may be significantly thinner than whatever you were using before as most toe socks are designed for running. The second is a question - any chance your new socks are slightly too small and constructing blood flow?

Good bit of logical, lateral thinking there.

I have thinner socks that keep my feet warmer, so i'm certain it's not that.
The socks certainly don't feel tight, plus it's my entire foot that's colder rather than just the toes.

I've just changed my socks now as my feet were cold in the injinji's, put on a thin pair of i guess you'd call dress socks and they're fine now :-?

My thinking is that with normal socks each toe is warming itself but also providing warmth for the toe next to it, with the toe socks you're not getting that as much.

It's odd, i just wondered if it's just me

squeezebox
11-23-2014, 14:44
Dogtra - just curious why you want to hike bare foot. As humans we have been wrapping our feet in furs or such to protect them from cold, trauma, etc for many many millenia. There's mud, sticks, sharp rocks, thorns, etc. out there to cause you trouble.
And yes! I do have an attitude problem caused by a foot problem.

squeezebox
11-23-2014, 14:49
At home I have to put on my crocs to walk around the house, like to the bathroom at night, I can't do bare foot. But such is life!

Biggie Master
11-23-2014, 16:37
Anyone else's feet feel a LOT colder with toe socks?
yes - much cooler

GirlfromOZ
11-23-2014, 19:40
Just got my first pair. Loving them so far! http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/023f587af9dedeb90df13b537837cb05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elder
11-23-2014, 23:40
Good bit of logical, lateral thinking there.

My thinking is that with normal socks each toe is warming itself but also providing warmth for the toe next to it, with the toe socks you're not getting that as much

Like mittens, toes/fingers are warmer together.

Miner
11-24-2014, 01:01
I don't get blisters between my toes so I don't need them. I actually never understood why some people have issues there. On the trail, I take regular breaks every 1-2 hours where I pull my socks off to let my feet dry out and rub any dirt off my foot including the toe area. Is the issue that people don't clean their feet and it becomes sandpaper between the toes or is it some sort of toe shape that causes the issue?

For me, it was mainly the ball of my foot that would get them. However, ever since I switched from boots to trail runner shoes and thin socks in 2007, I don't normally get blisters anymore. The only exception was the first week on the PCT in the desert where the surface temperature within a few inches of the ground was well over 110F which really bakes your feet. It was impossible to keep your feet dry for more then a few minutes so you needed thick callouses to deal with it.

CalebJ
11-24-2014, 01:13
I don't get blisters on my toes so I don't need them. I actually never understood why some people have issues there. On the trail, I take regular breaks every 1-2 hours where I pull my socks off to let my feet dry out and rub any dirt off my foot including the toe area. Is the issue that people don't clean their feet and it becomes sandpaper between the toes or is it some sort of toe shape that causes the issue?
Wish I had an answer for that. I went -years- without getting more than an occasional blister. Starting this year, I was getting them on a regular basis no matter which shoes I wore, and using the same type socks I've used for running and backpacking for the last few years. The last straw was stepping out the door to run to school one day in June. In less than three miles I formed a large, deep blister between the first and second toes, and the top had already ripped open so there was direct irritation well into the flesh of my foot. Not a pleasant experience, and at that point I was willing to try anything to fix it. Switching to toe socks has eliminated inter-digital blisters as well as the standard front of toe/side of foot type I'd occasionally get. The only time I've had any recurrence was during the Mountain Masochist race a few weeks ago, and even that was just a couple of very minor ones after 50 miles.

Kerosene
11-24-2014, 11:33
I wore them on my section hikes up to about 3 years ago when I switched to mesh hiking boots. I think the "waterproof" boots I've used over the years kept my feet too warm and damp, and the toebox(es) might not have been wide enough.

My biggest issue with the Injinji toe socks was that they were tough to get dry. Since my problem centered on only one or two toes, I found that putting a gel-filled toe protector (http://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-mineral-oil-gel-toe-protector-one-size-skuid-334560) on the offending toe worked quite well, at least for a few weeks. I haven't had toe problems since I switched to mesh boots (plus my boots dry out a whole lot faster than my "waterproof" boots ever did).

cbr6fs
11-24-2014, 12:10
I wore them on my section hikes up to about 3 years ago when I switched to mesh hiking boots. I think the "waterproof" boots I've used over the years kept my feet too warm and damp, and the toebox(es) might not have been wide enough.

My biggest issue with the Injinji toe socks was that they were tough to get dry. Since my problem centered on only one or two toes, I found that putting a gel-filled toe protector (http://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-mineral-oil-gel-toe-protector-one-size-skuid-334560) on the offending toe worked quite well, at least for a few weeks. I haven't had toe problems since I switched to mesh boots (plus my boots dry out a whole lot faster than my "waterproof" boots ever did).

Quick tip for drying socks

When you set up camp and take your socks off, fill up a plastic bottle with hot water, put the cap on and slide your socks over it.
The warmth from the bottle will dry your socks a LOT quicker

Shutterbug
11-24-2014, 14:02
... Is the issue that people don't clean their feet and it becomes sandpaper between the toes or is it some sort of toe shape that causes the issue?
.. .

That is definitely the issue with those of us who wear Vibram FiveFinger Shoes. If I wear them without socks, the grit from the trail gets into my shoes and acts like sandpaper. The socks help keep the grit out of the shoe and to the extent it still gets in, the socks prevent the grit from being against my skin. When I don't wear socks, I have to empty the grit from my shoes often.