PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hammer

Lauriep
07-30-2014, 12:13
A great friend of the A.T. left us yesterday. For many years, Hammer's name was synonymous with the ATC Konnarock trail crew based in southwest Virginia, where he was a devoted volunteer and supporter. He also volunteered at ATC Headquarters, at our warehouse, and for a number of years at our booth at Trail Days.

No one who ever met Hammer would forget meeting him. He was a lovable, colorful guy with a big heart who was always helping people out and trying to lift their spirits, whether it was a pat on the back for a trail worker or an ATC employee, doing trail magic for hikers, or wearing a ridiculous umbrella hat in the Trail Days parade. He was a Navy sailor who could be described as "salty" - he didn't mince words and was always telling jokes. Whenever Hammer was around, there was laughter and smiles.

I will share a tribute written by John Killlam, a very good buddy of Hammer's and a fellow volunteer. Some may know John as "Mulligan," "Big John," or "Dawdler," depending on which thru-hike you met him on or when he was volunteering at ATC, Bears Den, or the Konnarock trail crew.

Dan Hammer "took the hike" at about 6:30 a.m. July 29, 2014. He was in his early eighties."Hammer" had been in declining health for several years and had recently been moved from assisted living to a nursing home. He had asked to be taken off dialysis several days prior to his death.

Dan Hammer was a life member of ATC and a friend of A.T. volunteers, A.T. Conservancy employees, and hikers. I first met Hammer while we were working on the Konnarock Trail Crew, I believe it was in 1993. He had started what he hoped would be a thru-hike of the A.T. a year or so before. He did not complete the A.T., but he learned that there were trail crews that were building and maintaining the Trail and got involved as a volunteer.

In his later years, Hammer continued his contact with the crew program by participating in "Clean-Up Week" at the Konnarock basecamp. For years, he worked at the ATC booth at Damascus Trail Days and volunteered at ATC Headquarters. And, for a couple of days before the booth opened each year, he did "trail magic" at his favorite spot south of Damascus where the Trail crosses U.S. 421.

He attended most of the ALDHA Gatherings that were held in West Virginia over the last 15 to 20 years, and also attended some Gatherings in other states.

I already miss him. I understand from his son that Hammer's body will be cremated and that his grandson, Ben, who thru-hiked the A.T. in 2013, will scatter his ashes somewhere near the Trail this fall.

I hope to be there.

I'll post more as I learn more.

Laurie P.
ATC

Teacher & Snacktime
07-30-2014, 13:20
My condolences Laurie, on the loss of your friend. I don't think we had a chance to meet him, but I wish we had. He sounds like a wonderful guy.

rocketsocks
07-30-2014, 14:04
Sorry to hear that, sounds like a fella I would have enjoyed talking with.

RED-DOG
07-30-2014, 16:17
I meet him at the Blackburn trail center in 06 i new him as Dawdler, He will be Missed very much so through out the trail community.

Lauriep
07-30-2014, 17:03
Red-Dog,

Maybe I put too much in about John Killam who wrote the tribute to "Hammer" and confused people. "Dawdler" (John Killam) is doing just fine--I just wanted folks to know the source of the quote about "Hammer."

Laurie

Lauriep
07-31-2014, 11:55
Larry Luxenberg, president of the A.T. Musuem said that Hammer "...was a great supporter of the A.T. Museum from our earliest days. His confidence in our project was a great boost for us."

Hammer was great that way--there are quite a few people in the A.T. Community as well as worthy projects that can say that Hammer gave them a boost.

CrumbSnatcher
07-31-2014, 12:06
RIP Hammer, thank you for being a good friend to others and to the trail

Red Wolf
07-31-2014, 15:10
Hammer, may Light Perpetual shine on you my friend.
You always remembered when we first met near Davenport Gap Shelter in 1997,
a cold but sunny, early-March, Smoky-Mountain's day. You were an encouragement to me
as I hauled a large log for the fire. You are always a supportive friend of mine.
Rest in peace. ~ RED WOLF o'da SMOKY'S https://mail.google.com/mail/e/softbank_ne_jp/1D0

WILLIAM HAYES
07-31-2014, 16:52
there is a road no simple highway
between the dawn and the dark of night
and if you go,no one may follow
that path is for your footsteps alone

Rest in Peace

Lauriep
08-01-2014, 09:46
Here's another photo of Hammer in front of ATC from maybe 10-15 years ago.

RED-DOG
08-01-2014, 10:46
Red-Dog,

Maybe I put too much in about John Killam who wrote the tribute to "Hammer" and confused people. "Dawdler" (John Killam) is doing just fine--I just wanted folks to know the source of the quote about "Hammer."

Laurie
Yeah i got the two confused, but Hammer sure does look familiar. he will be missed

Red Wolf
08-01-2014, 15:59
Dan "HAMMER" Hammer was an early Appalachian Trail Museum Society friend.
Once we obtained "The Old Mill" building, his financial support was much appreciated.
He is listed on the present (first) "BUILDING FUND DONORS" plaque at the
very highest financial contribution listing level ~ "The A2 Society".

His support for The Museum remains as part of the AT hiker community's creation, maintenance,
and expansion of our Appalachian Trail Museum and its preservation of our AT legacy.

~ RED WOLF o'da SMOKY'S https://mail.google.com/mail/e/softbank_ne_jp/1D0

A. T. Museum Membership Secretary
email: [email protected]
~ to view The Museum's Whiteblaze thread, click on: A. T. MUSEUM ~ UPDATE, POST # 466 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?55994-A-T-Museum-Update&p=1898699#post1898699)

Lauriep
08-04-2014, 15:40
We now have an page in the Volunteer In Memoriam section of ATC's website at http://appalachiantrail.org/get-involved/volunteer/volunteer-in-memoriam/2014/08/01/dan-hammer---atc where you can leave comments.

Laurie P.

Jack Tarlin
08-05-2014, 09:47
What a nice tribute, Laurie, and thanks for letting us know about this. Hammer was a really great guy.

Lauriep
08-05-2014, 18:16
An obituary has been posted here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pilotonline/obituary.aspx?pid=171952610.

Siarl
08-06-2014, 03:10
Sorry to hear that a friend to the AT and the Appalachians in general has passed.