PDA

View Full Version : Snow Peak Giga power canisters

wanashunkaha
07-30-2014, 21:04
Helllooo WhiteBlaze,

Long time no chat! I have a question concerning the Jetboil stove. I bought it a while ago. The old canister (GP110) is red and white. I'm assuming they've gone through a color change and the gold 110 is the same thing? Pardon my ignorance. I just want to be sure before purchase. Many Thanks folks.

Don H
07-31-2014, 06:41
Most stoves use a Lindal type fitting for the fuel canister. It doesn't matter what brand you buy, if they have that fitting it will work. However different brand canisters have different percentages of propane, butane and/or iso-butane. Cold weather effects fuels so different percentages work better at different temperatures.

Lots of information stove fuels on this site.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm

HooKooDooKu
07-31-2014, 09:33
Since you mentioned the Jetboil, I'm assuming you wonder if the gold label still nests inside the Jetboil.
If that is your question, the answer is yes. I too have a Jetboil Sol and recently purchased one of the new giga power canisters and it still fits inside just fine.

Dogwood
07-31-2014, 20:03
I assume it's just a new look with the same 110 grams of 85% isobutane 15% propane fuel mix both for use down to about 15-20* F. It's the same lindal valve as the Jet Boil fuel canisters employ. Jet Boil canister fuel is about a 80% isobutane 20% propane mix though making it perhaps a bit better for a bit colder temps. The Jet Boil canisters hold slightly less fuel though on a side by side comparison often at a premium price.